Trip Report gathering data on riding

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Alex MacDonald, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    John Wayne Pioneer Trail sounds like an excellent idea. I was going to suggest something like that. Just to keep my ticker pumping, I rode in and around two local state parks yesterday afternoon, about 5 or 6 miles each ride. I grabbed a snack in between rides. First was covering every trail I knew (all of 'em, at least once each) at Twin Harbors St Pk, including some beach riding. Second ride ended up on the paved trail at Lighthouse State Pk heading into the docks area at Westport, then back, plus some trail riding in the woods there.
    I have to do some car repairs and other stuff tomorrow, but I'm going to squeeze in time for a ride. I should just go fishing, instead. Weather looks sunny here thru Tues, and maybe beyond.
    I might take my bike and fishing gear down to Raymond and ride the west end of the Chehalis Western Trail along the Willapa River. The easy plan is to park near a fishing access a few miles upstream from Raymond, go fishing, and then go for a ride, and then maybe go fishing again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Jim Wallace

Most of those Tour Divide riders in the vid you posted are competitive long distance cyclists. Even when I was 30, I considered 75-90+ miles on a fully loaded tour bike to be a long day, on our April 1981 tour in Hawaii. The Big Island roads are hilly, and we rode to the top of Haleakala on Maui. Heading toward Hana from Paia on the Hana Hwy on a brisk trade wind day offers many miles of fighting gusty headwinds, but otherwise is a great ride.
    During those 30 days, I got off my bike and pushed only once, about a hundred yards of steep dirt road coming out of a rock-strewn gully on the (in 1981) unpaved section between Hana and Kaupo Store. I practically ran my loaded bike uphill, since I was trying to get to the store before it closed for the night. Fortunately, they had a bunch of customers and it was still open. That was back when I was young.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I used to do that stuff when I was young too! Raced with Cal Aggie Wheelemen for about a decade, rode the Olympic Trials once, but yeah, a long day with a load for me now is more in the 35 mile range. It's supposed to be fun, right? I still can't believe some of the saddles we used to ride-rebar is more flexible!!

It does appear that the clockwise loop is more gradual climbing than the reverse, but this Spring, I'll have to begin climbing some of the nasties we have around here. After being sidelined with the leg/foot issues that finally got "surgerized" last year, I'm so out of shape you could use me for a bean bag chair!!

4. Jim Wallace

I hear you. Recovering takes time, and getting back into shape requires work. Right now my heart function isn't as bad as it was 2 years ago, but breaking my C-1 in Jan 2016, and then crashing my old road bike back in June and messing up my left shoulder kind of set me back. Its still sore and weak, but useable, and riding doesn't seem to hurt it. The 6 broken ribs weren't too painful, since I avoided laughing, and have healed up fine...no aches or pain from them anymore. Now I'm working on improving my heart rate and function. Slow and steady wins the race on that one. I'm taking my med team's advice, and backing off when the ticker rate spikes and I have to start breathing harder. If I avoid alcohol, my heart feels stronger. I've cut back to one cider when the day is done, and didn't have any alcohol at all two days this week so far. Drinking only one beer or cider mid-afternoon, prior to a ride, makes my heart weaker for the first part of my ride, so I'm not doing that if I plan to ride later that afternoon.
    My heart is being "monitored." Big Sister is watching! I laughed when the cardiology nurse called me up and asked what I'd been doing, and then chewed me out for "testing" myself. Next summer, I'll leave my "patient monitor" at home. I just have to call up the "team" and let 'em know that I'll be on a bike tour for a week. My loop recorder info will get transmitted once I return.
    Gotta go. This weather is unbelievable. High 60's today and tomorrow, with possible low 70's tomorrow!
    I should go ride the gravel roads and a couple of trails around Lake Sylvia State Park. There are some decent grades and hills behind the lake, and its OK to be in there. Most of the gated logging roads behind my place have "No Trespassing" signs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  5. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

why aren't you fishing the Willipa ? heard through the grapevine that it's a happy place right now.report back !

6. Alex MacDonald

`Cause we're gearing up for a gravel ride next Summer that'll take us over a hundred miles into the boonies in northern Montana (buncha serious old guys here!!), so gotta ride while we can!

Also gents, I keep looking at that original video of the 4 people, and looks like they took a day trip up into Big Meadow area above Polebridge, returned and camped near the Merc, where they chowed down on that huckleberry ice cream thing, then returned to the West Glacier entrance and headed South on Inside North Fork. Looks like the rough section begins just below Logging Creek Campground, with deadfalls and washouts in that spot. this was posted 4 years ago, so it could have gotten worse since then, but we'll check it out this Spring when we get back to Whitefish.

Salmo_g likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

this appears to be the first leg of our ride: (hope I'm doing this right!)
    https://screenshots.firefox.com/QpUCn8qcpUogbYng/www.google.com

We printed out the rest of the route, which to my surprise shows the elevations as well as the distances. When we get back to Whitefish next year, we'll drive the route with the exception of Inside North Road, and I'll take photos so we're all prepared for what we'll be on as well as finding out about mailing supplies to Polebridge. The other option-I don't know if you're retired, working, or otherwise committed-is to take the supplies up to Polebridge before the bunch of us actually makes the ride. I'm retired so I can afford to spend more time on this, and it's nice to be able to put together the intel-gathering skills the military taught me in a, shall we say, less "vigorous" environment!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. Jim Wallace

This continuing great weather is what I'd been hoping for, so thatI can get some much needed work done on my car and home. I can't afford to pay a mechanic, unless its an emergency that I can't take care of myself. Nearly all the coastal rivers have been fishing well for Coho, since its been a good Coho year. The flows came back up a bit, and so far, there isn't any of the political BS going on down here that affected the OP rivers. However, nearly all of the popular and well know spots have been zoo scenes, since anglers who have been shut down on other rivers must have headed out this way.:(
    I certainly won't report back if I can sneak away. :cool:

9. Jim Wallace

Thanks Alex, that certainly gives me a better idea of what to expect. I'm not sure if I can cover that first 30 miles in only 3 hrs and 33 minutes, if there's much climbing involved. That wouldn't have been a problem on my old road touring bike when I was 30.
    Uphills have been making me use lower gears, and I top out on level ground in my high gear at around 14 mph. So I might be crawling up some hills at less than 5 mph. Spinning fast in my low gear puts me at walking speed.
    I figure that I'll need a good lunch/rest break somewhere past the halfway point (maybe 20+ miles into it), then finish the leg in the afternoon.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I'm also retired Alex and don't mind spending the time to haul stuff to Polebridge instead of mailing it. There be fishin' holes of interest up that way.

Alex MacDonald and Jim Wallace like this.
  11. Jim Wallace

I'm liking this idea. On my previous tours, we'd plan to be able to hit a store and re-supply at least every 2nd or 3rd day, since we really worked up our appetites riding.

12. Alex MacDonald

No worries Jim; I'm no streak uphill, and figure it'll take me pretty much 4-5 hours to ride the 30, with plenty of stops for photos, snacks, naps in the shade and so forth.
    We could plan a layover day in or around Polebridge, and they rent little cabins and such there. If we could find somebody who'd drive a rig hauling the ice chests and the heavy stuff, we could eat pretty much like kings, and have only one backpack meal and breakfast at Logging Creek (and that assumes the road is closed above there, which it might not be!). If getting to Logging Creek Camp is accessible, we have really no need to haul anything but snacks and water. Even better, if that's the situation, we can pick up some of those huckleberry-stuffed bear claws they make at the Merc, and shuttle them down to Fish Creek Campground. a trip to Apgar for ice cream, and we'd better be riding hard so we can burn up all this!!

13. Coomba

Coomba Active Member

Jim Wallace and Alex MacDonald like this.
  14. Alex MacDonald

The Park begins plowing Going-To-The-Sun Road sometime in May, but they remove the guardrails in the Fall before Winter sets in. After the get it mostly plowed out, they'll begin reinstalling the guardrails, and it's still closed to automobiles. However, they do permit bikes and hikers on it.

15. Jim Wallace

Its a relief to hear that you aren't a speed demon going uphill, Alex, conidering your reputation for "feeling no pain."
    I've been playing around in my head with different chainring/cog combos, thinking that I could steepen my gear range a bit. Shuffling through my spare cogs, I discovered that I have one that I can swap onto my Alfine IGH and steepen my gears by about 5%, which raises it by about 1/2 of a "gear spacing," if necessary. (Swapping out the 20-t for a 19-t). That should still be low enough in my lower gears for loaded touring uphill, but give me an extra 1 mph in top gear on the flats. I won't have to buy any more cogs.
    My hub's 8 gears are spaced nicely, but a 9th gear on the high end would make it even better for touring. Shimano makes an 11-spd Alfine hub, but its an oil-bath model (the 8-spd is grease-lubed) that isn't quite as robust for loaded touring, and a reputation for leaking oil through its axle seals. So I committed to the 8-spd hubs. They can go over 5,000 miles without having to slide out the innards and check the lubrication. Maybe even "forever.";)

I can do the swap the next time I have my rear wheel off to clean the hub's linkage. If it feels like its too steep after giving myself time and training to get used to it, I can always swap it back. I sure don't want to have my gears lower than I need to have 'em, although I kind of like where they're at right now. I, too, am not a speed demon these days.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017