Trip Report gathering data on riding

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
The Park begins plowing Going-To-The-Sun Road sometime in May, but they remove the guardrails in the Fall before Winter sets in. After the get it mostly plowed out, they'll begin reinstalling the guardrails, and it's still closed to automobiles. However, they do permit bikes and hikers on it.
Nice. I haven't been in snow much in recent years. I have to head inland a bit if I want to play in it, which I'm not really into doing anymore. Several inches on the local roads usually makes driving seem hazardous to me, because not everyone has AWD or 4WD. Maybe we'll get some out here on the beach this Winter.

Coomba

I went over Going to the Sun in the middle of July. Got an early start out of Avalanche CG and made it to Logan Pass by 0900. The traffic certainly picks up around 0800, but it's a low speed road with plenty of turnouts and the drivers were all courteous. I'd like to try it before they open it to traffic, but can you get to the pass before they open it to traffic or just to where they are plowing?

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Maybe it's time to discuss tentative ride dates? Personally, I'd like it to correspond to my 70th. which is 11 August. But Polebridge apparently hosts a killer 4th of July parade! Any thoughts, gents?

Salmo_g

That time period looks good to me. I'll probably add some time on the front or back end and do some more MT fishing. I may want to do some backpacking in the CA High Sierra again this summer, probably in late August.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I am flexible for the time being. Early Aug would be fine with me.
Strange coincidence happened again today. I was riding the beach on my Pugsley today with the idea that it was a good training sesh for our trip. I rode 3.5 miles to the north, staying below the high tide line, but keeping the sidewalls of my tires dry, then retraced my route. Westhaven State Park was my turnaround spot, and I just happened to talk with a couple of guys I'd never met who were checking the surf.
These were the only people I spoke with during my entire ride.
One of 'em was from Montana, and he kind of knows the bartender at Polebridge. She must be a hottie, since he said that he had a crush on her.;) He said that he might even be there during late July and Aug. I have names, but I'd better share them via PM.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I've been contemplating my touring kit, and I plan to get a Revelate Harness for my handlebars, as well as their frame bag and seat bag, both similar to Alex's. Probably get the Salsa Anything HD Cages for the front forks, or their Revelate equivalent, whichever looks like the better value.
I have some roll top dry bags, and one of them might fit in the harness (along with trout rods). I already have a Revelate Gas Tank, & also one made by Planet Bike, which is slightly larger than the Revelate, but not nearly as water resistant. Maybe one of those "Feed Bags," too, for snacks or other stuff I might want to keep immediately accessible.
I'd been meaning to get this stuff anyway. I'll be going on more tours.
I'll use tape and hose clamps to add a 3rd water bottle holder on the underside of the down tube. Do you guys use hydration bladders? I've never felt the need for one, so far. I just carry water bottles.

Salmo_g

I don't care for hydration bladders, so I use 2 water bottles. I have a small bag/box that sits on my top tube next to the stem for snacks, very handy for STP and RAMROD.

Alex MacDonald

same here; I have capacity for 3 bottles, but I'll carry one of those new MSR Trailshot filters so any water source I pass I can tank up. the Revelate Feed bags are really nice for snacks and cameras and such. I plan on getting another one. I also have the Anything Cages, but find that the bags that come with them won't hold much of anything. I have kayak dry bags, so I'll use those instead.

It's supposed to snow here later this week, so after the Fall chores are done, I think I'll make a list of "must take" items, pack them into the bags, and see how everything fits.

Jim, why don't you check out Adventure Cycling Association? We're members, and plan on doing at least one tour with them-probably the "inn-to-inn" Idaho tour in September. It'll go from either Harrison or Plummer, ID, to Wallace and back up the CDA trail, including the Hiawatha. A totally easy ride. They run another one in July-same route, but I don't know if I want to camp at Wallace. That RV/campground is seriously ugly. The only saving grace is, it's right next to City Limits Pub!!

Tell you what I'd REALLY like to do, is a "seafood" tour along our coast! Starting with all the oyster spots on the Canal, winding up maybe at Aberdeen or Ocean Shores at the crab shack. Eat our way through "crustacea"!!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Check out bikepacking.com. There's a lot of good info on that site. I found a hack there for a waterproof seat bag, using a 15 liter dry bag and some straps. Its cheaper than most seat packs, although maybe not as convenient or secure. I have some 20 liter dry bags and a 30 liter one, but not anything 15 liter or less. The 20 liter bags are too fat and big.
I might try to see if I can jerry-rig a cheap 15 liter drybag into a waterproof seat bag for this trip, and save some dough. I have a compression stuff sack that is 6" x 17.5" when full, which is about right for lashing to my handlebars, or will fit nicely into a Salsa Anything Cage HD.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
same here; I have capacity for 3 bottles, but I'll carry one of those new MSR Trailshot filters so any water source I pass I can tank up. the Revelate Feed bags are really nice for snacks and cameras and such. I plan on getting another one. I also have the Anything Cages, but find that the bags that come with them won't hold much of anything. I have kayak dry bags, so I'll use those instead.

It's supposed to snow here later this week, so after the Fall chores are done, I think I'll make a list of "must take" items, pack them into the bags, and see how everything fits.

Jim, why don't you check out Adventure Cycling Association? We're members, and plan on doing at least one tour with them-probably the "inn-to-inn" Idaho tour in September. It'll go from either Harrison or Plummer, ID, to Wallace and back up the CDA trail, including the Hiawatha. A totally easy ride. They run another one in July-same route, but I don't know if I want to camp at Wallace. That RV/campground is seriously ugly. The only saving grace is, it's right next to City Limits Pub!!

Tell you what I'd REALLY like to do, is a "seafood" tour along our coast! Starting with all the oyster spots on the Canal, winding up maybe at Aberdeen or Ocean Shores at the crab shack. Eat our way through "crustacea"!!
Thanks Alex. I'll check out the Adventure Cycling Association more thoroughly. I'm not into road touring along any major arterials any more, especially along busy 2-lane speedways like Hwy 101, but I'll still sneak through town, the local neighborhoods, the backroads in the cranberry bogs, country roads up near Sequim, and very short sections of my local dragstrip, aka "Hwy 105" (if there's no other route).
Man, I really like riding my fat bike on the beach...sometimes its over 200 yards wide at low tide, without a car in sight!
Bring your Mukluks out here and ride them. Look for a day with good low tides, which makes the beach riding awesome. Fat bikes are cool on the trails in the local State Parks, except that Fall/Winter rains will flood out all the wetlands and submerge the trails.
There's a couple of good eateries open year round in the docks area at Westport...a popular "fish shack" and a BBQ joint with some Hawaiian flavor.
Gotta go watch the local surfers finish off their sunset session.

Alex MacDonald

We've ridden Ocean Shores with them, and I just changed the "roadie" tires back to the knobs for the Winter today. I'm also thinking of a different wheelset for my Fargo-50mm rims to accomodate the wider 3-inch tires. What do you think?

Alex MacDonald

Another thing we could consider, depending on time, is riding from Polebridge to Kintla Lake, spending a night there, then back to Polebridge for another night, and continuing on to Logging Creek or Quartz campground. I also just wrote to the Park Service at Glacier to find out if Logging Creek is vehicle accessible, (meaning the road is decent), and how long the closed section is. We'll see what we get!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
We've ridden Ocean Shores with them, and I just changed the "roadie" tires back to the knobs for the Winter today. I'm also thinking of a different wheelset for my Fargo-50mm rims to accomodate the wider 3-inch tires. What do you think?
50mm rims are a good fit for 3" tires. 45mm would also be a good fit. My Rabbit Holes are 50mm, but its possible to find lighter rims. You can fit 3" tires on 35mm rims, but wider rims fit better.
I have no complaints about the RHs. I just went over some tutorials on setting them up tubeless with my 3" Bombolonis for next Spring, since I don't plan on swapping tires until I wear out the Bombos. You still have to carry a spare tube along for emergencies when rolling tubeless.

WTB has some good 3" tires, Surly has a couple of good ones. Schwalbe must have some good ones. I really like my Bombos, and the only minor complaint I have, is that when I deflate them a couple or so lbs (down to 10#F and 12#R), to get better "float" for riding on the beach, the front tire exhibits a bit of "self steer" when I'm back riding on any pavement, unless I pump it up again after leaving the beach. Pumped up to 15# pressure, they roll/steer very nicely on pavement. Most tires will exhibit self-steer on pavement, when deflated to beach riding pressures.

I ride my fatter 3.5" and 3.8" tires on 65mm rims on the beach for the Fall and Winter, and I might even try some wider tires after I wear out the ones I'm rolling on now. I swap tires around a bit on the 65mm rims, so I'm not setting them up tubeless (yet), since I never get flats here on the beaches or the dune trails.

Last edited: