Gatti bamboo rods?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

What have you all heard about Gatti rods? Thanks, jeff

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Good stuff as far as graphite, didnt know they made boo. They are italian so probably tied to the mob :D. Walls of the graphite rods are very weak in places, the only rod I've ever broke while fighting a fish. I broke 4 of them and moved onto loomis, although they are sweet casting sticks.

3. bigtj

bigtj Member

I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of your question on the classic fly rod forum:

http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum

Most of the folks here on WFF are graphite guys. By the way, there was a used gatti cane rod for sale at a good price in the classifieds on the classic fly rod forum. You might try PM'ing the person advertising the rod for more info.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

IMO, 'boo rods pale in comparison to graphite. 'Boo rods are great if you like nostalgia, but casting wise.....nah.

Regarding rods generally: "Slam 'em in a car door and they all look the same."

SuperDave

5. bigtj

bigtj Member

Graphite rods are remarkable fishing tools, that cannot be disputed. Thankfully, cane rods have enjoyed a remarkable resurgence in the past 15-20 years. Cottage makers are producing some of the finest rods since before WWII. Quality cane rods from modern makers like Thramer, Brooks, Jennings, Wagner, Raine, Clark, etc. are not only the finest expression of the rodmakers art, they have a "soul" that can't really be matched by graphite. For small streams, dry lines, and small flies, no material can hold a candle to bamboo for sheer "feel". For those folks who haven't caught on to the recent resurgence in cane and are curious about it, snoop around on the classic fly rod forum webpage, and visit the webpages of some of the modern makers. Or even visit a cane rodmaker's conclave and cast these rods for yourself. Cane rods are here to stay and for one I'm really happy to see that.

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Dave I agree, for casting go with graphite. But for fishing, bamboo does it for me! Not just for traditions sake, but also the craftsmanship that goes into them allows me the experience of fishing (and "catching" fish) to be that much more enjoyable.

There are alot of really great makers of cane rods out there that might surprise you with the "feel" and casting abilities of todays more contemporary bamboo tapers (although some of the "old" tapers are great to fish with too). Some bamboo rods are hollow built so as to decrease the weight so you can cast easily all day long without the fatigue factor. Some of the old American made rods with good tapers (and carma!) can still be found in fishable condition for not a lot of money.

Traditional gear will catch just as many fish as the contemporary gear if enough skill is developed and you're not going after marlin, although they too have been pursued and caught with 'boo!

If anyone's interested, you might want to read "Casting A Spell" by George Black. It might add to your enjoyment of this sport we all care so much about, and learn something about it's great traditional heritage.

The afore-mentioned website is a great place to learn more about using traditional gear as well.

Cheers, Greg

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

iagree

Here's a link to an interesting article I came across the other day on past and present western cane rod makers: http://www.troutunderground.com/bamboo.htm

K

8. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Thanks Kent, great link!

Another book just published late this past year is "Oregon Bamboo", by Joseph Beelart, Jr.

It is a very well written and comprehensive series of interviews with contemporary Northwest (mostly Oregon) bamboo rod makers. I found it to be a great read! Greg

9. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Really, Andy? You broke 4 Gattis? Under what conditions? You weren't trying to horse in a carp or steelhead with a 4 wt, were you?

10. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Gatti is notorious for being "brittle".... Great feeling sticks, but require lots of delicate care....

11. herl

herl Member

For that matter, all graphite is far more brittle than bamboo. The only reason folks think bamboo is so fragile is that alot of them are old and have met car doors along the way. When this happens to graphite rods, they get tossed in the trash. Bamboo can also be effectively repaired.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

Three or four years ago Gatti was being advertised as the new big boy on the block.....but much like Redington with it's blue boy wonder rod and NTQI's at some 80 plus million graphite count/light.... were way to brittle and busted often every time a hooked fish sneezed or strained to crap. Really don't hear much about Gatti today.....Long live Berkely Cherrywood !! ;)