Gear for Beginner (round 2)

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bjgough, Jul 18, 2013.

1. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

You did good and those rods should be a fine starting point.
    Enjoy!

bjgough likes this.
  2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I think you made a great decision. I know nothing of the rods you bought or of current model rods in general but I do know two things.

1. The very best thing you can do is get your hands on a rod, reel and line and start fishing.
    2. The idea that you can spend your way into a rod that suits you is absurd and generally uninformed.

TC

bjgough, Kent Lufkin and Troutcreek like this.
  3. bjgough

bjgough Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Tim. I went out to Reds Fly Shop with my wife for their 101 class to get back into it and it returned to me swiftly—like riding a bike. Our instructor complimented the rods as perfectly suited for trout fishing in Washington, so... I felt good about that.
    On our way home, we stopped on the Teanaway and I had several, but very small, strikes and that was exciting... now, I need to learn the real science—picking the right fly, and setting the hook.

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

There is no need to learn any real science to be a successful and happy fisherman but it couldn't hurt if that is your inclination. Part of the beauty of this pastime is that it can be anything you want it to be from gross generalization to highly specific. Either way a combination of experience and luck usually carries the day.

For future reference this is the Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels sub forum. None of the equipment you have discussed in this thread falls into that category.

TC

bjgough likes this.
  5. bjgough

bjgough Active Member

Home Page:
    Sorry about that Tim. This was my first post after joining and I didn't realize "where" I was in the forum tree when I created it. I'd emailed admin to see if I could move it (I initially posted it in the Arts & Literature Forum... and then still didn't get it right!) but I never heard back from the forum admin about either deleting the thread or moving it.... I will be certain to know "where" I am if I post again.