Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Getting a little wood on the ball

NFR 
2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  willisbullard 
G
#1 ·
a few years ago I was cooking in the Bob marshall wilderness.

One woman, who was the leader of the group commented on a meal I made saying it was just over the top wonderful.

I was trying to be funny and said,"Thanks! Every once in a while I get a little wood on the ball."

Her face turned red and she started stammering.

A man standing next to her said "Betty, why are you so flustered? It's a freaking baseball reference. He's being modest and telling you occasionally he gets it right. For gods sake get your mind out of the gutter."

I've been very careful about using this retort and only do it in men only groups.

Is this reference something I should stop using in mixed company?

#7 ·
Preface with it being a baseball reference or something to calibrate where you are coming from.

Great reference to me, but I was a baseball player and still follow the game.

G
#8 ·
While I'm far from a card carrying member of the politically correct crowd I don't intentionally try to make people uncomfortable without a good reason anyway.

I do tend to cuss like a wounded pirate, but I try to withhold throwing any f-bombs when in some groups.

Having women in camp isn't typical except during summer trips.

The biggest problem I have is saying something like this but then having to explain the reference. It's not funny if you have to do that. It's not hilarious in the first place, so explaining it really makes it not funny.

#9 ·
I wonder what she might have thought had you said: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often?" She may have giggled . . .

When plans got changed or cancelled, I used to tell the Kids: "It's kind of like baseball & softball - you win some, you lose some, some are rained-out, & some you don't even play." I'd keep using the expression; if you're concerned about offending a client, preface it like I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.