Getting closer

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Well, my last few outings to the beach have been getting better and better.

Over the last few mornings fishing I've had:

1. A follow to the fly right in front of me, with a boil and a hit--but missed it. I completely wasn't ready for that one.
    2. A couple of solid hits that were, again, misses.
    3. Two small coho caught and released last Friday morning (little guys, around 12 and 14 inches).
    And finally,
    4. A decent-sized fish hooked this morning. Had it on for a minute--what a flippin' adrenaline rush--until it threw the hook 2 feet off shore.

So that's been my last four days fishing.

After cursing and shaking for a bit this morning after hooking and losing my first good-sized silver, I sat back and told myself, "You're getting closer, Jason, you're getting closer."

Chalk it up to experience (and don't start reeling in the slack line until you have more control over the fish!!!).

Oh well.

Jason

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

It gets better...

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Oh man, not to downplay the awesomeness of Dan Savage's It Gets Better campaign and the great things that has done for various people's lives, but...it would be so great to create some "it gets better" videos for people just starting out with salmon fishing or steelheading. You know, to let us know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

J

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Hell yeah.. Or trout. It took me about 10 months to catch one without a guide! I was starting to equate Yakima trout with steelhead.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Great attitude man! You're moving right along. You'll put one to the beach in.no time, and then another and another and another. Its a pretty amazing feeling that first time you hook up. It still amazes me every time, the fact that I can go out and stand on a beach and catch a friggin salmon out of that giant salt pond. We are so very lucky to have this fishery in our backyard

mtskibum16 and Patrick Gould like this.
  6. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Jason, good to hear. i have given up on the beach thing until i find a beach that the fish will come into.

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I've just been hitting Lincoln Park hard, because it's easy for me to do before work.

There might not be tons of fish there, but there are some there, and every time I go I see them being caught by both gear and fly anglers. That's enough to keep me going back.

J

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

+ 1,000,000

Nice job in hooking up Jason. It is amazing they can hit so hard sometimes and not get hooked. Silvers can be like Houdini.
    SF

9. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah,

This one wasn't a slam on the line. My attention was drifting actually, I think looking down the beach at some other anglers. All of a sudden it was just wump, line stopped mid-strip and I saw it roll 30 feet out. Was definitely a cool feeling. It's the first time I've had a fish on my 8 wt. that could really do it justice, and easily the largest fish I've ever hooked (aside from salmon fishing with my step-dad in about 2nd grade).

So right about this fishery--such a cool opportunity to have, and such an awesome way to experience an area that is very urban. I love the feeling of stepping into the water and--literally and figuratively--turning my back on the city for a few hours.

J

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

This is so true. It is an amazing fishery that is so unique to the NW!

11. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Nice job man! Saw you out there this AM. Any luck?

I had a silvery blue flash disappear as I swung my fly across at the end of my cast, but that's about all the action for me.

I'm on a mission to get this beach thing down as well. So far it's just been a lot of casting practice, but I'm fine with that too. If I don't muscle it and collapse my loop, I'm shooting a good 70-80 feet now.

Sunrise with Great Blue Herons in the background, can't complain about that. Lucky to have this fishery, and lucky to have folks like SF to help us along the way.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jon,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I hope both of you get your first beach silver soon. Your perseverance will pay off.
    SF

13. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Glad you're getting closer!

I always find it funny how 99% of people react when you tell them about catching salmon with a FLY rod from the BEACH. "Really, you can do that?!" :)

ten80 and Nick Clayton like this.
  14. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

None for me today. I couldn't cast for crap this morning. I don't know what it was...maybe I should eat before I get out there because I was starting to feel a little loopy by the end of the session.

Oh well, I'll probably be back out there tomorrow.

Jason