Getting new (to me) pontoon ready for the water...

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by willburrrr2003, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Good plan. My fish cat has 8' tubes, great size for kicking around the lake. After I finish modifying the frame i plan to find a pair of 10'tubes for floating rivers.

2. MrJohn

MrJohn Member

Wilbur, I like your paint job! Will definitely show up better than the original black.
    Have considered painting mine,(10ft fishcreek), but it had only been used two times before I stole it for 250. Got it last November and still haven't had the chance to try her.
    I am now going to do a double check on the covers. I think they are fine but going to check again anyway.

Only real thing I've done to mine is make a rod holder thingy as the one the guy gave me with it didn't fit the 1 1/4 frame and I didn't want to spend money for one that would fit it.

Don't laugh but here's what I came up with and am sure I'll do some refinement. I cut a slot in a piece of pvc big enough to snap over the frame and put a piece of metal that was laying around and hose clamped them to the frame, then hose clamped a 1" piece of pvc to that. The rod holder is for 1" tubing. I can move it to different locations pretty easy.

3. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Looks like it works just fine :D

4. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Mr John, Have you set your fly rod in that yet? That rod holder is for spinning rod . Never mind I see the spinner in that back

5. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

I bought my final can of paint, and wouldn't you know it was pouring rain when I got to work and is still raining....so no painting final pieces today. I figured I would have until beginning of the week before my new toon skins arrived, but the showed up about 10 minutes ago :D Unfortunately my old toons are at home so will have to wait until I get home tonight to get them set up. I'm pretty excited to get the boat all assembled even without the final painting...might even take it for a test drive on a local lake this weekend...not sure about fishing but definitely want to see how it feels on the water!

View attachment 38624

6. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

So much for testing it out this weekend....there are no cam straps in the box that were supposed to be included with the new skins.
    I have a call into The Creek Company, and waiting to hear back from them.

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I can tell you, you have upped your pay load by going with the new pontoons. Those little pontoons with the huge rockers are designed for rivers and they are really hard to balance out on stillwater. With those new and in my opinion way better pontoons, you should be able to haul more and even add a battery/motor by sliding the frame forward.
    We all start somewhere, and you have proven to be quite wise.

8. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Thanks for your wonderful input! I had not thought about increased loading from the new skins, but looking at their profile and knowing that they are also slightly bigger than the original skins I can see that you are right :D . I had considered the increased stability from the shape of the new toons , and agree that the upgrade is good all around! I also took a peek at your blog, and it is a wonderful site!! If I ever find myself in Utah, I will look you up for a trip ;)

9. MrJohn

MrJohn Member

I was hoping no one would notice!

10. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Getting close to being able to test it out, I would tomorrow if I had the straps for it (frame is just sitting on toons for the pics)...and if my hand pump didn't fall apart...:( . I was able to get them up to where they had the basic shape with the cheap blower air pump my buddy had, but it doesn't have enough pressure to fill it out past what you see in the pics. I still have to paint the transom piece this week. I am not worried about paint the seat bars, as I will be upgrading in next few weeks to a molded plastic seat with cushions in seat and back portion.

View attachment 38657
    View attachment 38658
    View attachment 38659
    View attachment 38660

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I have an LVM pump and it won't pump the toons up all the way either. This is actually a good thing. Never trust those pumps with built in gauges. Seen a couple boats explode with 2 lbs of air according to the gauge. Always top the toons off by hand and I do recommend buying a hand held gauge like this: http://www.amazon.com/K-Pump-Small-Air-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0018OOS5U

It is hard to get exact air in two separate toons, but it does make a difference to me.

12. Chef

Chef New Member

will:

Blue and her wife alan.... rock. They said anyone who is visiting will take them fishing:)

Right Blue??? :)

I need a trip!

13. mojo

mojo Member

Ahem. Chef, repeat after me.
    Alan= husband.
    Joni/Blue= wife.

14. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

i have the odc classic, and i tell you what, for 150 bucks it was a steal. creek company has treated me welll when i called them. if you have any questions, give them a call

15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have heard that also. But, I have to ask, what have you had to call them about?