GL3 ROD BLANKS

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rockfish, Jan 9, 2002.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

CABELAS HAS THEM FOR 130$ OR SOMETHING FOR THE WHOLE KIT FOR A 6 OR 7WT, HAS ANYBODY BUILT THERE OWN ROD AND=IS IT PRETTY EASY, i GOT A BOOK BUT i WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAD ANY FIRST HAND EXPIERNCE. bEN

2. Gizler

Gizler New Member

I decided to try building my own rod a few of years ago and have completed another five since that time including the GL3 7wt kit available from Cabela's. I wouldn't say that It was terribly difficult but my technique and craftsmanship have improved with each one. That said, I am still pleased with the very first one I built and probably use it more than any of the others. One thing I would recommend if you decide to give it a shot is that you get a drying motor. I bought the one available from Cabela's for about $20 and built my own stand for it by looking at the pictures in the catalog. It made a world of difference when applying the rod finish to the thread wraps. Good luck :BIGSMILE

3. ray helaers

ray helaers Active Member

Now you got my attention with a $20 drying motor. Is it still available. Do you know what the RPMs are? Is it variable? I want!

4. rockfish

rockfish Member

Gizler thanks for the information on how to go about it, now all I need is my income tax to fulfill my needs. Ben

5. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

I started building Rods last year and I use a motor from a BBQ rotisserie that I adapted with some fittings to hold a rod. You can use a cardboard box with cutouts to hold the rod parallel and put the motor in a vice. If I knew ahead of time how many rods I was planning on building, I would have bought the drying motor. The biggest things I learned for optimum rod quality is the following:

Use a magnification lamp to really get the wraps perfect. Stop as soon as something does not look right. I use a phone book to keep the thread tight during the wrapping process by putting the thred between the pages of the phone book to there is weight on the thread.

Wrap only one leg of the guide foot for the entire rod blank. Realign all guides before starting the wrap on the second foot of each guide.

Stir the clear coat for the wraps more than you think is necessary. I go at least 50 times in one direction and 50 times in the other. Use the bottom of a pop can as a holder for the mix. Also use the back end of the plastic brush as the stirring end

Use a lighter and pass it under the wraps when the rod is rotating on the drying motor. Be fast when passing the lighter under the wraps so it does not get overly hot. It also helps to use 2 to 3 coats of the thin clear coat instead of the standard clear coat.

There are a lot of web sites out there with good advice. I bought my stuff from Hook and Hackle and they were really helpful. Ask for Bob. He helped me select every component, recommended all the right stuff, and gave me a screaming deal on all the components. http://www.hookhack.com/catalog.html They had a sale last year in the spring that was 40% off almost everything. I ended up building 2 more rods last year just because the prices were so good.

6. Gizler

Gizler New Member

I believe the motor is still available. I bought it out of the rod building catalog from Cabela's. If I remembered correctly there was a rod chuck for the motor that was sold separately which I bought as well although I do not remember the price(around ten bucks I think). The catalog also has a lot of other helpful tolls as well and some are really not that expensive. In fact I made my own stands for the motor and wrapping the threads from the pictures in the catalog. For me building the rods ranks right up there with tying my own flies.