Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

GLoomis GLX Cross Current VS GLX Stream Dance MAX?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  yellowlab 
#1 ·
I'm contemplating one of these two rods in a 9' 6wt 4pc and to be my main salt water rod, primarily targeting Coho and SRC.

There isn't a place around here to test them so I'm hoping someone here has experienced casting these fine rods and is willing to share their thoughts:ray1:

Thanks!

#4 ·
I had a GLX Crosscurrent 6wt for a while. Very nice rod but very specialized, in my experience. Loved the hardware . . .the reel seat in particular. It cast a shooting head very well. However, I couldn’t find a standard WF line that matched up with it. Even a 7wt floater didn’t feel like it was loading the rod very well. I now have a GLX streamdance 6wt that I like much better. I definitely recommend casting, with the line you plan to fish, before you buy. You may find you don't like the UltraMega Fast rods when you cast them side by side with a 'regular' GLX. . . .which is still a cannon.

#5 ·
I have never heard of the G Loomis Streamdance GLX MAX rod?

I have heard of the G Loomis Streamdance GLX HLS and the G Loomis MAX GLX rods. I have yet to cast the CrossCurrent but did cast the GLX MAX rod and was not impressed. I own the StreamDance GLX HLS and can testify that it is a terrific rod for all my fresh water purposes.

#8 ·
I haven't cast the GLX Max, but I tested both the Cross Current GLX and the Native Run GLX. The Cross Current is a very powerful, fast action that you have to work with. The Native Run is a slower rod with a very sweet feel in my hands. However, I bought the Cross Current. Why? I got the rod in 8 wt for saltwater use, chasing coho on Vancouver Island as well as other saltwater fish, and for use in Baja next fall. I felt the Cross Current had more reserve power to work into the wind, as well as being very accurate. The Native run was feeling sloppy at the longer distances, showing that it was reaching its power limit. Try both rods, and any others you may want to consider, and look at what your planned use is. Then buy the rod that best fills your requirements.

#10 ·
iagree I was very disappointed with the Native Run series, and ended up getting a cross current. I can cast all the fly line with this rod and it seems to be just as nice, but without a hook keeper? Go figure? My all time favorite rod is still the GLX Classics. They are superior in lightness and amazing backbone yet fast action.

#13 ·
I think I would have a hard time with it being faster, so this seems to suit me great. I can't wait to get it dialed in with fish involved. For me there is so much to learn right now, but the feel of the moderate to fast action of this rod is comfortable with my mechanics, so that is one less struggle.

#16 ·
Even so, the green paint and the extra top finish adds weight and changed the action IMO and don't feel as light as the classic series. Yes, the classic series are still made but only in a 2 piece configuration. If anyone has any GLX Classic 4 pieces in 5-8 wt. configurations, I am interested in buying those rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.