Glue for double bunnies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    I made some double bunnies a few nights ago and, although most tiers say they use clear caulking to glue the two fur strips together, I didn't want to open up a tube of silicon caulking just for a little job and it seemed like it would make a big mess and not be very strong. So I tried some Pliobond that was handy. But, man, that's stanky! Who's going to what to bite this stanky thing? And I still got it all over my fingers and in the fur.

What's wrong with just using my water soluble Flexi head cement? It seems flexible enough and cleans up out of the hair and off my fingers easily.

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Man do I hate tying those flies... But the Dark Blue and light purple kills on largemouth and rockfish :DEVIL I've never had much luck with liquid head cements for the job. You can get silicone in really small tooth paste style tubes. You can also use GOOP which is also not exactly a party, but convenient and probably the strongest bond you'll find. Not the most flexible though. Are you wetting the rabbit hair, but the not hide, to keep the hair stiff and out of the way? Definitely makes the job easier.

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

I understand super glue works.

Call one of the local shops; I'm sure they could help and probably give you good info.

4. rockfish

rockfish Member

zap gap, holds almost everything. its like 5$. Ben