Good Fly Rod for My Mom

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kyle Smith, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

My parents are retiring this spring and plan on returning to Montana from the coast of Washington. They both want me to teach them fly fishing. I decided I would get them each a rod for Christmas and I even plan on screen printing their names on the tubes. I got Dad a 9' 5wt Redington Tempt on closeout, and I am wondering if my mother would be better off with an 8'6" rod? She isn't the physically strongest person around but I'd hate to make mending line a pain. Any opinions?

2. Skysoldier

Skysoldier FUBAR

Size and physical strength have little to do with it really, my slight of build, 5' 2" wife can cast my 10' 6wt as easy as my 7' 6" 3wt. When used correctly the rod does most of the work, fined a nice rod and I am sure she will have no issues using it.

I think it is awesome that you are doing this with your parents :)

Olive bugger and rory like this.
  3. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

First off, glad you're getting your parents back in your area.
    Don't know your Mother's age, stature, physical condition or how you intend to fish but you might be right
    on with the 8'6". I would say more importantly make sure the reel balances and the line is spot on as well.
    Bottom line, make and enjoy the time.

4. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

6' 3wt. would be perfect, give her a wand. That way she'll be much more tuned to what's happening, closer is better...and alot easier...and potentially alot more interesting (and less challenging) for a retired mother (yours) who hasn't flyfished previously. If you think she wants to wade out and cast far...?

Edit: take her to smaller streams and show her how to rollcast/speycast it.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It depends on where they intend to fish at as to what size/length of rod to give her. If they are going to play around on small skinny water or large skinny water. Montana is a big state and there is lots of small skinny water to play in.

6. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Active Member

You might consider the Winston Joan Wulff Favorite (8'6" 5wt, WT blank). It has a smaller grip and an indentation at the correct location for the thumb, which can help new casters. Not cheap, though, and a higher line weight than you were contemplating.

7. Kyle Smith

Thanks for the replies. They are moving to Billings, so we are planning on fishing mostly mid-size streams like the Sillwater, Gallatin, and Boulder, but maybe the Bighorn occasionally. I'm aiming for versatility as I don't imagine my A.D.D. mom wanting more than 1 fly rod. I'll probably just go with an 8'6" CT or maybe a Greys GS2. That way they can swap rods if they like. I'm excited to fish that side of the state more, love the east side.

8. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

One thing you may want to consider is more frequent and stronger winds as you go east.
    Billings is my home town and I'm back and forth pretty often.
    Lots of places where you could meet in the middle.

9. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Sage has some quite nice rod/reel combos. They are semi fast action and durable. You have the advantage of a lifetime warranty in cast of breakage and the price is attractive. I bought a his/hers pair of these for my son and his new wife and they have used them to good effect. Simply go to a fly shop dealing in Sage products.

10. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

The CT in a four weight is very versatile, and especially good for the money. Add a top flight line like a Rio Gold, and a lightweight reel and don't look back.

dryflylarry likes this.
  11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Kyle, I'm 6', 172# and 75 years old. When I go stream fishing I usually have 4 and 5 wts in 8'6'' and 9' lengths. As I have gotten older I have really started to appreciate the value of a lighter shorter rod. This year I used an 8'6'' CT with a new Orvis Battenkill click pawl lightweight reel. It is a dandy sweet handling setup. But after a full days fishing even that starts to be a bit much and usually on the second day I go out with a 7'6'' 2wt with an even smaller reel. Compared to the 4wt it feels like waving a feather. Some bigger fish this year have convinced me to build a 3wt in the 6' range which I will start on shortly.

I doubt seriously that your mom will go out on consecutive days like I do and fish till dark each day. But I don't doubt that she will be better off long term with a much lighter and shorter rod than a 9' 5wt. Don't make it hard work for her, like the rest of us she won't get younger and stronger with time.

Good on ya for being kind to your parents.

Ive

Kyle Smith and Olive bugger like this.
  12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

8' 6" --- Yes. Yes. Yes. CT 4 wt. is a good choice for an inexpensive decent good setup.

13. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

I think cabelas has ssome CTs for like 80 bucks still. Ya its cabelas but ...its 80bucks...

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I would get a matched set. That way, when Mom decides standing in water for hours at a time, waiving a stick and swatting at mosquito's is a fools game, Dad will have a spare rod he'll love...just sayin. ;)

15. Kyle Smith

I think the hard part is going to be teaching them the finer points, like presentation and rigging up and all that. We'll probably stick to fishing dries for dumb cutthroats until they are up for a bigger challenge, like the fall BWO hatch that kicked my butt yesterday on the Bitterroot.