Good steelhead reels?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jake Bannon, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Does anybody know of a good 8wt reel for not a bad price. As most of you know Im younger so I think a reel around the 80 - 100$ would be pretty appropriate. I am just looknig for a reel that will hold up to winter conditions and has a good drag system. Also needs to hold up to steelhead:). Thanks for the help and Happy holidays.

Jake

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

a better question would be : does anyone know of any bad steelhead reels?

Seriously, that would be a much more intersting debate. Here all you get is everyone's favorite brand(s) from Medalists to Ross Reels.

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Pflueger Medalist.

cds

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    If anything, try to go with a decent warranty, like lifetime. The best lifetime "steelhead" reel under 120.00 imo is the Orvis Midsize Battenkill. Close second is the Teton Tioga LA, but has a full cage which could bother alot of dudes. Good luck and merry CHRISTmas:thumb:

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have a G Loomis Venture 7 on my single hand 8wt. $100 brand new, very smooth, and the unbeatable loomis warranty. I haven't found a reel i like better for under $100. I have a Lamson Konic for my 6wt which I think is a better reel, they're $130, but I don't think they make one big enough for an 8wt yet.

6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

My main reel for steelhead/salmon is an Abel 3N. It has everything I want and it is smooth and reliable.

7. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    There are not any great reels in that price range, however most if not all of them would suffice for steelhead and even salmon. Both the Pfleuger Medalist and the Loomis venture would be fine. You should be able to pick up a used reel for a good price.

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    i dont think that an abel falls into that price range, fyi. i would keep my eyes peeled on ebay and get a good used reel

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Second vote for the G Loomis V-7; I've seen, and have, landed many VERY large fish on this reel. (Reels actually made by Shimano -sp? - and re-branded under the G Loomis here in the States.)

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

The Trion is not as terrible reel and is at, or just under, $100

The loomis venture on the other hand is garbage. I came to this conclusion by both owning one and selling tons of them. I never had so many customers come back to the shop asking WTF? If you do go with one, make sure and get extras of the plastic bearing cases, because once they are spent--so is your reel.

11. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

As usual I'll give thumbs up for the Pflueger Medalist...inexpensive and won't let you down.

Randy

12. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    I have been wondering if the new pflueger Medalist is the same quality as the older ones? Thanks.

Clint

13. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I only fish the old ones but the new ones might even be better. Chad might know. He fishes both. You can get the old ones on eBay and the new ones at Cabelas and other discounters.

Randy

14. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

I have a 9 wt pflueger Medalist which I have used this season. I found it to be pretty solid and rugged. I handled several large chum salmon without difficulty. My only grip is the funky knob used to adjust the drag. Otherwise an excellent reel for the price.

Mike

15. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Although most cabelas reels suck, the Cabelas Prestige plus III reel is a great stealhead reel. I have used it the past several years as my "back-up/loaner" reels and I often find myself fishing them more than my more expensive reels. It has a really decent cork disc drag and good line capacity with a mid-arbor design that holds plenty of backing but still has a decent rate of retrieve. Decent sized hand and large, easy to adjust drag knob. They are one of my my favorite reels at any price. They do run a bit heavy and are cast, not machined. Get one, you won't be disappointed for $50. Stay away from Cabelas SLA, CSR, and LSR, they are all poorly made reels.

After that, I couldn't reccomend much until you hit around $120, with the orvis mid-arbor. There is a lot of junk out there under $100.