Graduating from Pink to Silver, always a rookie

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by E_walker, May 5, 2014.

1. E_walker

E_walker New Member

Hey all, I'm a brand-spankin' new board member that just moved to the Seattle area. Last fall I visited the area and had a little luck on the pink salmon run, now I'm hoping to get out and learn thing or two about coho and SRC fishing this summer.

I've just tied up a bunch of pink, olive, and chartreuse clousers. If anyone wants to test drive a couple let me know and we can hit the beach!

plaegreid likes this.
  2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Welcome! You picked a good time time to start chasing silvers. The forecast for this summer looks promising. I look forward to this fishery more than any other each year.

I'd suggest putting the search function to good use. There have been some really great threads on the topic of silvers in the Salt forum the past couple years. Read them all several times over. There is a TON of great information put on this forum for those who are willing to put it to use. Don't be afraid to send a PM now and then. Most people aren't going to share much on the public forum, but may be a bit more generous once you strike up a conversation outside the public eye.

More than anything, just get out there and fish this summer. Pick a beach or two and fish them until you know them intimately at all tides. This will pay off big dividends both at those beaches, but at other places as well as your eyes will begin to know what to look for.

Grab a spool of Maxima, don't forget to add a stinger to some of those clousers, and get out there and fish your butt off. The silvers will be there for the taking this summer. You just gotta put out the effort.

plaegreid, E_walker and Stonefish like this.
  3. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

e_walker, first off welcome to the forum. Next thing it's like Nick said lot of information here on just what your asking. It sounds like you are starting ahead of me. This coming Silver run will be my third as well as my third season fly fishing. I've learned a lot from this forum as well as two books written by guys that have been fishing these same waters for years. Chester Allen, and Richard Stoll. Next thing to do is buy a WA state Atlas and starts looking for public parks. Put in some time on the beaches and you will meet fellow forum members as you fish. Good luck, hope to see you around.

4. E_walker

E_walker New Member

Just ordered the Stoll book. Thanks!

5. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

+1 on More than anything, just get out there and fish this summer.

Welcome to the forum! Search functions and PMs are your friend, as the clousers you've tied up will be. I got my first wily Pacific salmons on the fly rod last summer; if you liked the pinks, you'll have a blast with the coho.

6. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Oh I forgot get a stripping basket. You will be very happy you did.

plaegreid likes this.
  7. JayB

JayB Active Member

Word.

8. JayB

JayB Active Member

Seems like we've reached the point where we need to create a meta-thread for Coho where folks can drag and drop url's for the best threads from the past, then make it a sticky that's permanently at the top of the saltwater page.

Probably wouldn't hurt to do the same for SRC, Chum, and....dare I say it....Pinks if the the idea gets any traction.

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

+ many

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

They are a bit more difficult to catch than the Pinks. I would prepare for many casts and fewer fish. They do fight harder, taste better, and will put a smile on your face, however. I'm looking forward to the time when they are here.

11. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Silver fishing can be slow during even years. Find the bait first, so you know that salmon are nearby.