Grande Ronde?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jonathan Walkenberg, Sep 28, 2009.

1. steelheadmedic

steelheadmedic New Member

I heard it was suppose to rain there this weekend...any news?

2. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

In Pullman its been raining off and on all day, its been cold for the past 5 days. Hopefully the mixture of cold temps and moisture will lower those temperatures. Im just waitin to make my first trip down there this season!

3. Eric Speer

Eric Speer Member

River is nice, fish are there, Hundreds of people!!!!

4. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Ya, no shortage of people, had a slow day today in the rain and cold. It was pouring as we left around 5:30.

5. steelheadmedic

steelheadmedic New Member

Also, any idea's of cabin rentals??? I stayed in one last year but failed to keep the contact info, It was between Asotin and the mouth of th GR..thnx

6. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

Did you stay at the ones at Hellar Bar, or the ones about a 1/2 mile below Capt.John rapids?

7. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Rained like an SOB through most of Saturday, so much i had to dig a trench around our wall tent to stop the rain from coming inside

We managed a few and the biggest whitefish I have ever, ever seen

Today, the wind blew ALL DAY LONG and with the jump in flows, the fishing was off ....

Stay tuned for next week...should be electric

8. LisaMfly

LisaMfly "Swing Flies, Be Happy."- Write 2 Fly-Fish

Home Page:
    See my profile for the pictures. I don't know where the stretch was, but I do know that it was in the Washington area of the Ronde. I hear I fished the last good weekend at the Ronde... Yay for me. :)

9. Charlie Erdman

Charlie Erdman In search of steel

you mean the first?

10. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Quick question...coming from pullman what would be the more favorable way to make it down there. Take 129 or down snake river road? I know there will be people everywhere. Might make the journey for first time this weekend.

11. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Im headin down tomorrow from pullman. Im just going to cruise down 129. Ill let ya know how the drive is, im hopin to miss the crowd a little by cuttin class and hittin the water on a tuesday.

12. Whit

Whit 19D

I am tempted to head down and see what this is all about. Never fished for anything that big and I think my lil 4wt would be in trouble. Time to save up some $.

13. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

wish i could cut class, i dont know maybe we will venture down there for weekend and find place to camp out and get drunk at least haha. I need to trick someone with a boat into being my friend and taking me with them .....

14. LisaMfly

LisaMfly "Swing Flies, Be Happy."- Write 2 Fly-Fish

Home Page:
    That's good to know! (Everything seems so unpredictable when it comes to timing ;)) I'm going back there this weekend- can't wait!!

15. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

The fishermen population is about to explode if it's not already.

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    http://wdfw.wa.gov
    October 6, 2009
    Retention limit of hatchery steelhead
    changed in Grande Ronde, Snake rivers
    Action: Allow the harvest of five (5) hatchery steelhead per day in the Snake River and a portion of the Grande Ronde River.
    Effective date: Oct. 7, 2009 through March 31, 2010 in the mainstem Snake River from its mouth to the Oregon state line (including the boundary waters with Idaho).
    Oct. 7, 2009 through April 15, 2010 in the Grande Ronde River from the County Road Bridge to the Oregon state line.
    Species affected: Hatchery steelhead
    Fishery Location and Harvest Rules: In the mainstem Snake River from its mouth upstream to the Oregon border (including the boundary waters with Idaho), the daily hatchery steelhead limit will be five (5) of which not more than three may be equal to or greater than 32 inches total length).
    Grande Ronde River within Washington. 1) From the mouth of the Grande Ronde River to County Road Bridge (approximately 2.5 miles upstream) release all steelhead. 2) From the County Road Bridge to Oregon state line the daily limit will be five (5) hatchery steelhead per day, with no upper size restriction.
    Reason for action: A large number of hatchery steelhead is returning to the Columbia and Snake River basins. Only a small number of these returning hatchery steelhead are needed for broodstock purposes, therefore all excess hatchery steelhead can be harvested. Removal of excess hatchery steelhead will reduce potential adverse effects on ESA listed wild steelhead.
    Gear Restrictions: See 2009-2010 WDFW Fishing Rules pamphlet for applicable gear restrictions within southeast Washington waters open to steelhead fishing.
    Other information: Anglers are encouraged to retain all hatchery steelhead they catch when it is legal to do so. This regulation change for steelhead angling ensures consistent daily sport fishing limits in boundary waters of the Snake River with Idaho, and adjacent areas of the Snake and Grande Ronde rivers with Oregon.
    Information contact: For more information, contact John Whalen, Regional Fish Program Manager, WDFW Spokane Regional Office at (509) 892-7861.