Great Time of the Year for Searuns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Dec 4, 2012.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

GREAT INFO. Love'd this thread.

Were you able to observe any schooling behavior?

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Don,
    Are the results of this study available anywhere? I have a Powerpoint presentation on sea-run cutthroat that I've been giving for a couple of years now and some of what you've said doesn't seem to agree with some of the things that are commonly accepted even in the (admittedly sparse) scientific publications. I'd like to make my presentation as accurate as I possibly can, so any help would be appreciated.

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I'm not sure if this was the study Don was involved in but I found this 2008 paper from an Evergreen student which makes for very interesting reading (although my head began to swim a bit with all the data listed! ;))

http://archives.evergreen.edu/masterstheses/Accession86-10MES/Haque_SRMESThesis2008.pdf

I sorta enjoy reading a bit of scientific research on my favorite fish but I more enjoy prowling the beaches in search of them and thinkin' of them as a very mysterious, intriguing quarry which always seems to be one step ahead of me!! :)

4. jemers

jemers New Member

5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I have tied some lucky charms to a hook with no luck. Fished under rainbows and with unicorns, still nothing. Set traps in green pastures beside still waters. Nothing. Those rainbow-surfing leprechauns are sure tricky to catch. I've had the same luck catching steelhead.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

These creatures are selective feeders. Try a sign hat says "Free Whiskey". It's funny when I say that because I'm 3/4 Irish.

And yes, Sara's paper contains the data I referred to, and a whole lot more.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  7. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

I've neither caught nor seen fish in many outings over the past few weeks. Anyone seeing any action?

8. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Yesterday in MA 13 had an Ok session 3 hours from low slack. Squimp for the win, one SRC and some rezzies.
    BUT, it has been seriously slow, gotta be at the right place/right time deal. I have hit up alot of the local (Tacoma) haunts and I have had a dismal time, however, like you, I expect one day it will go nuts! I am patiently waiting for that day :)

[​IMG]

Mark Mercer likes this.
  9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Way to go Dave!! I've been hitting a few beaches lately, but haven't done very well either, this time of year anything I get is nice.

Eyejuggler likes this.