Greatest steelheader ever a Californian?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bananafish, Dec 4, 2008.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Im the master

2. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

What that nots true and on the small wet flys on dry line as I recall, plust 10-20 summer runs were an average day. Almost had me on a plane out there.

:beer1::beer2:

:p

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

You're looking at the wrong metrics. Schaadt was the greatest simply because so many other excellent fishers of his time proclaimed him so.

Unlike Cassius Clay who was the self-proclaimed 'greatest' (and could back it up convincingly!), Schaadt was humble and self-effacing, not at all a student of the shameless self-promotion that seems to characterize so many 'professional' flyfishers today.

K

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I'd throw our own Bob Stroebel in with anybody you got. For tenacity and drive, Bob York caught over 5000 steelhead but was known more for his super intense driven obsession and work ethic than for his angling mastery. He kept it simple and fished every drainage known to man. Stroebel is known is the best among the best in Washington amongst the old dogs. Duff

5. Doucet

Doucet New Member

I didn't know Mark Bove was born in California:rofl:

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

In terms of single minded obssesive devotion to the sport? It would be hard to beat Ol' Bill...

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I am the bess eva cuz I am the moss talented, moss intelligent, moss beautiful, moss relivent mutha fucka on da rivah.

My stylll stupendus!

My waders inpenetrable!

My loops uncollapsable!

My flies famous!

My methods mysterious!

My raff unsinkable!

Being outfished is unthinkable

:)

Oh.....an I will eat your children!

8. dids

dids New Member

Home Page:
    There is actually some information on Bill in the website www.riversofalostcoast.com if you dig around, here and here. One is a director's statement on Bill and the other is on the rivalry between Bill Schaadt and Ted Lindner, another great fly fisherman, known for his salmon abilities.

I got to be included in the making of this film, and of all those that were interviewed, those of which included Jack Berryman, Russell Chatham, Lani Waller, among other greats, Bill was by far the most talked about and known for his abilities, even amongst those who did not like him. The stories that were told and that are covered in the film are truly great, but there are so many more that were not able to be told due to time. People on the coast still talk about Bill like he is still alive and fishes everyday and you can see it in the eyes of those that were interviewed in the film.

I believe you can read the article online that Russell Chatham wrote on Bill Schaadt somewhere in the Sports Illustrated archives, I can post it if people want to read it. It's a well written article on Bill and gives a great insight into who Bill was as a fisherman and person.

9. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

I'd like to read it. Thanks for the offer.

10. dids

dids New Member

Home Page:
    Here is the Sports Illustrated article.

Chatham talks a lot about Schaadt in the film 'Rivers of a Lost Coast', as do many other fly fishermen. People seem to be interested in Schaadt not only because he was such a good fly fisherman, but because he was a very interesting person in general. The film talks quite a bit about this and begins to explore him more as a person. Should be interesting to those who knew Schaadt as just a fly fisherman to see a different side of him.

FinLuver likes this.
  11. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Home Page:
    Hey justin, fuck off :rofl:

12. dids

dids New Member

Home Page:
    Just to get some feedback, would people here be interested in some type of podcast or weekly updates about Bill Schaadt and the film 'Rivers of a Lost Coast'? We have a lot of extra material and are wondering if a lot of people would enjoy this or is it just a waste of time?

Any thoughts?

13. Kent Lufkin

Outstanding site and film clips, especially the one about how Jim Pray created the Thor.

I grew up in Fortuna on the banks of the Eel, starting to flyfish in pools named after people I knew like Lee Dungan, son of the namesake of the Dungan pool. I caught my first steelhead just upstream from Fernbridge. One early morning not far from the mouth of the Van Duzen, I had a twofer with my father in what was to be the last time we fished together before he passed.

Thanks for the memories. I can't wait to see the film.

K

14. Kent Lufkin

Judging from the comment following your second post, such materials might be lost on some of us here. OTOH, please post or at least post a link. I'd love to see more.

K

15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Bill Schaadt

Definately not a waste of time! And the film, Rivers of a Lost Coast? Is that going to be a full length film? Shown in theaters? Or as a dvd available to purchase? Or what? Sure would make a nice presentation at a club meeting.