Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Greatest steelheader ever a Californian?

13K views 88 replies 48 participants last post by  speyfisher 
#1 ·
New to the forum. Hi everybody. Must admit this movie I heard about has a killer site and the trailer looks good. But greatest steelheader ever from California, are you kidding me?:hmmm:
www.riversofalostcoast.com

Anybody ever heard of this Bill Schaadt?

#5 ·
That's awesome. Yeah dude the best steelhead fisherman can be anywhere there's steelhead and there were a lot of steelhead back then. If You're passionate enough your going to be good at anything you love. Geez the best King Crab fisherman are from Seattle not Alaska.

Doesn't matter where you're from people will surprise you. Hey there may even be a African American president one day.....oh wait.... there is. Point is, anything is possible broseph.

#6 ·
I can attest to Bill Schaadt being the best fisherman I have ever seen. I grew up On the Russian River and fished alongside him on several occasions. During the 50's and 60' the Russian river was the place to be on the west coast during the winter . It s sad to see what the wineries,dams and development have done to that river.
I reccommend getting ahold of the Anglers coast BY Russ Chatham, it is a great read.

#9 ·
I hear you on Russell Chatham. I googled an article he wrote, "The World's Best" focuses on Schaadt. pretty intense.

I think he's the guy in the movie trailer who says something along the lines of "he was the best fisherman that ever lived."

Heard about the Angler's Coast. Have to check it out. Good to see Chatham will be in the movie.

#15 ·
For a run-down on a lot of old-time greats (including Schaadt) pick up "Fly-fishing pioneers & legends of the Northwest" by Jack Berryman. It's an expanded collection of the "Pioneers & Legends" series from Northwest Fly Fishing magazine, has some great stuff in it.

#16 ·
It is no accident that many older anglers on the west coast still speak of Bill Schaadt in reverent tones. Read about him, See for yourself. Jack Berryman told me that one thing he learned about Bill Schaadt was that "He lived to fish".

Russel Chatham's writings on Bill Schaadt in his "Angler's Coast" are an eye opener to what it takes to catch Chinook and Steelhead on a fly in coastal rivers. Especially on the steep Olympic Peninsula.

As an aside; Another great Russell Chatham essay is entitled "Winter Steelhead", and is in a collection of his works titled "Dark Waters". It is still one of the better winter steelhead fishing technique essays I have ever seen.

#18 ·
By what metric does one measure the "best" or "greatest" steelheader? Number of steelhead caught? Caught per unit of time? Does the metric assume all steelhead are equal? Is the metric the most steelhead greater than some threshold weight? If it's about numbers or weight, a useful metric would also include equation parameters to cover number of fish in the river, or average weight of fish in a given river. A 20 pound steelhead caught in CA should carry more "weight" than a 20 pound steelhead caught in northern BC, etc.

Personally I think the variables that add up to greatness are too numerous and well, variable, to meaningfully label anybody the greatest steelheader from anywhere.

BTW, from what I've read about him, Schaadt was a heckuva fisherman.

Sg

#33 ·
You're looking at the wrong metrics. Schaadt was the greatest simply because so many other excellent fishers of his time proclaimed him so.

Unlike Cassius Clay who was the self-proclaimed 'greatest' (and could back it up convincingly!), Schaadt was humble and self-effacing, not at all a student of the shameless self-promotion that seems to characterize so many 'professional' flyfishers today.

K

#19 ·
I think I am the best steelheader ever because I always bring enough whiskey for everybody and too much for myself.

#21 ·
Boys,

My family has a summer home by the Trinity River between Weaverville and Lewiston CA. Go north on highway 3 to Callahan CA. Take a left to the South Fork of the Salmon River. It dumps into the Klamath, this is were Bill passed away a few years back. This man lived to fish. I fished by Jimmy Green, my dad fished by Ted Trueblood both of which I truly admire. Having said that Bill may be the most consumed steelheader I have ever seen. He holds a place in my heart like no other. The desire, reverence and admiration that Bill had our Royal fish may never be matched. Don't let yourself be fooled, this man WAS the best advocate of the sport we love. If you ever get to the Klamath go to Salmon Forks, and ask where Bill used to live. It is a special place and one of the best steelhead runs you may ever see.

Tight Lines,
:beer1:

#23 ·
Hooking a wild steelhead on the fly is a profound experience then and now. Made even better by the personal satisfaction of exploration and discovery and connection. The pioneers led the way. It's still there if you work for it. And that's just real cool. Go get it while you can.

#26 ·
"Behold the Fishermen" Bill Schaadt, Russ Chatham's Anglers Coast.
There are a lot of Bill Schaadt stories floating around. Many seem beyond belief by today's standards. Especially when thay are all laid one one guy. Of all that I have heard, or read, no one has ever disputed any.

Anyone know if Jim Green played football in his high school days? And/or what school he may have attended? When? And, rather than hi-jack this thread, pm me on this.

#34 ·
I'd throw our own Bob Stroebel in with anybody you got. For tenacity and drive, Bob York caught over 5000 steelhead but was known more for his super intense driven obsession and work ethic than for his angling mastery. He kept it simple and fished every drainage known to man. Stroebel is known is the best among the best in Washington amongst the old dogs. Duff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.