Green Highlander

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by David Dalan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Highlander.JPG

I found some new materials (dyed Turkey tail) and decided to take a pass at a pattern that has both enthralled and vexed me since I was a little kid. I love the colors. It's the only classic other than the Jock Scott and the Thunder and Lighting that I like. But I have come to realize I loath the brown topped wings, golden pheasant tippet toppings, etc. Hides all of the color, IMO. I'm not sure this is "My" Highlander yet, but it's getting closer.

Other than the Turkey wing, I've taken to palmering the Ostrich at the rear (I like the swept look). Other than that it's pretty much the same as any other highlander.

Sorry for the so-so picture. The "good" camera has no battery. And I'm a lousy photographer ;-)

GAT likes this.
  2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Nice tie, I too always loved the greens in the Highlander, thats one thing thats nice about tying, is you can can do whatever you feel like and it's ok. I think you'll find that the more of these you tie the more you will want to tie all (or most of) the parts that the receipts calls for, not necessarily for looks but to challenge yourself to become a better tier, and tying these will improve anyones tying skills. The more difficult the tie, the more rewarding it becomes. Good luck
    Mark

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I agree with you, my "alternate" dressing is certainly impacted by the "pain in the ass-ness" of dressing one as an original. To what degree, varies... And I think I'll get there sooner or later (full dress). I'm learning patience at the vise and appreciation working on the classics (though I still dont like the dark tops). The fact people tie these free hand still floors me.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

"Sorry for the so-so picture. The "good" camera has no battery. And I'm a lousy photographer ;-) "

What the heck are you talking about? Both the pattern and the photo look great! I tell you what, the full dress patterns certainly put a crimp into my "less is More" theory for tying fishing flies.

5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

These flies are not for everyone, I can totally understand, they can be very frustrating even for those of us that have played with them for years, especially the roofs. Patience is the first step, and I think the best advise for someone getting into these is make every step as perfect as you possibly can before going any further, there is no going back once you get to certain points in the tie.
    I agree, I watched Harry Lemire many times and was amazed at what he could do using just his hands, he was truly one of the best.
    Mark

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It's kind'a funny that I've argued with Ted Leeson over calling fly tying an art... he doesn't believe tying flies should be considered an art form. When it comes to Atlantic Salmon style patterns, the skill required to tie such patterns does take a talent to create something of beauty so how can it not be a form of art?

Sorry Ted, you're wrong.. :p

7. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Look up the Maxwell Green Highlander. There's "NO GREEN" in the wing of that sucker. The only green in that version is the Seals Fur/pigs wool and body hackle
    Nice fly BTW.

This is patience -
    individual married strands of yellow and red goose, kori and amherst.
    one and half hours - if you master that, the rest of the fly is a comparative breeze
    [​IMG]