Grouse Cast and Blast

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by ganglyangler, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Thanks Karl, I am going to give it a try. You're making me hungry with that recipe.

2. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Great recipes!!

I just with I could hunt with you guys, but I shoot an older 12 sxs.

3. Thomas@Seattle

Thomas@Seattle Creek Walker

I' planning on camping near Cle Elum next week and hope to cast a blast a bit around the area.

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

You can . . . but you must assemble your ammo when the bird flushes, then load your 12 and fire . . . always remember that we get all of the closest, best shot opportunities . . .

5. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Remember: if you use a 12 gauge on public land for grouse you probably need to get a wood gathering permit before starting your hunt. Most of us smaller gauge hunters shoot between the trees.

6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Plan B: The 12 goes first, thus eliminating arboreal interference . . . you can carry your 12 loaded, but with only 1 shell . . . broke 20 of 25 clays with my 28 this morning. Tomorrow I'm going to try some that are in the air . . .

7. Upton O

Home Page:
    Jim, nice shooting with the 28. There's just something magical about that little gauge. I wish I had the funds for a 28 gauge sxs (CSMC RBL). I may get rid of a 20 Parker Repro I've got and find some way to make up the difference.

I'm planning to head to Ft. Lewis in the morning with my 20 gauge sxs. I'm hoping to take a 14 y.o. friend along and my wife's 20 gauge auto for him to shoot. Got to be sure I keep him on the 20 gauge track, the Dark Side would have him shooting a bazooka 12 gauge. We'll get to the Dark Side with geese in the decoys this year with an expert goose hunting friend of ours or over the duck decoys with me. My hesitation in selling the Repro is it will make a great little field gun for the kid when he starts hunting quail and doves.

8. Upton O

Home Page:
    I never hear of anyone hunting grouse on the OP. There used to be a ton of ruff's over there along with bandtailed pigeons. I know the story on the pigeons, the grouse I never hear about anymore.

9. Thomas@Seattle

Thomas@Seattle Creek Walker

10. ribka

ribka Active Member

Sounds good. Seeing plenty of doves around Yak County. Hoping to fill limit with just 2 boxes this year!

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Karl, I'd hang on to the Parker repro; especially if they live up to the "old reliable" nickname of the originals!

12. Upton O

Home Page:
    Alex,
    You are probably right about the Repro. The problem is I love hunting with my RBL which leaves the Repro in the safe. I do know a friend who is mentoring a young man and I may just give the gun to the kid when he gets a little older. My earlier posts mention my mistakes made in getting rid of shotguns I shouldn't have. This is probably in that category.

Ribka, Ganglyangler, or others: when I grill the dove breast filets stuffed with jalapeno slice, wrapped in bacon, I just grill them to medium rare. It cooks the bacon enough but leaves the doves with that wonderful flavor they have. Cooking them too long dries them out and ruins the flavor. I'm sure you probably know this but I wanted to add it just in case.

13. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

That sounds like a great way to cook `em Karl! There's a sauce, Dulcet Madras Curry and marinade-it's hard to find but worth the effort. I take quail and grouse, part `em up, and throw the pieces in a wok with about a third of a cup of the marinade, add some finely chopped yellow onion and some raisins. They're cooked in a few minutes, and I ladle the stuff over jasmine rice, garnish with a bit of chopped green onion. Never tried doves that way, though.

14. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Funny how its harder to hit a bird with 1oz in a 20 than 1oz in a 12, actually the 2 1/2" shells are 1 1/16oz.

Well I guess I have to find someplace near the CW, for a little Pheasant and Steel :)

15. ribka

ribka Active Member

Went out for bear this morning and saw a really big one. I mean a really big chocolate phase bear. Watched him for 40 minutes with glass. Wind and terrain not cooperating for a successful stalk. Saw 8 grouse while hunting but had the 300 wsm. Did not shoot. Great day to be in the woods though.