Gudebrod

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by freestoneangler, Nov 27, 2017.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Dang. I guess it has been awhile since I've needed some heavier streamer tying thread. I'm down to my last couple of spools of black 3/0 Gudebrod. I was just looking around on-line and see they are out of business. I have quite a bunch of their rod wrapping thread and, at some point, started using their fly tying thread for larger fly's. These are the old style smaller spools sized similar to Uni thread spools. I really like how strong the Gudebrod stuff is and now looking for a good option. What are you using for larger streamer patterns?

2. James St. Clair

James St. Clair 509flies

Home Page:
    Streamers with Spun deer hair (Zoo Cougars, Sex Dungeons, etc.) - Veevus GSP (Gel Spun Polyethylene) 100 -150, depending on streamer size/amount of materials/spinning. The only downside to this stuff is it has little to no "memory", so if you crank down to spin your hair, or even tie in your materials, it can loosen if you don't add a half hitch. There really isn't a stronger thread out there for the diameter, and I wouldn't try and spin deer hair with anything else.

Streamers without spun heads (Wooly Bugger style, Sculpzilla, Dali Lama, etc.) - Veevus Power thread 140 - 210 Denier. This stuff is super strong. I really haven't found much of a need for larger than 140 on trout flies, but if you are looking for some strong ass thread and thread bulk is a non-issue, the 210 stuff is what you are looking for.

Saltwater (EP Style Minnows, Tarpon Toads, Shrimp, Crabs, etc.) - Either Monofilament thread in .1 or .2mm (depending on size of fly), or back to the Veevus Power thread in 140 Denier, maybe 210 on a really big fly.

That's just me personally, I am sure you will get many opinions, most of which are personal preference. If it sticks the materials on the hook without breaking for you, it doesn't really matter. Except I really do think the GSP is the best thread for the application of spun hair.

freestoneangler, BN2FSH and Stonefish like this.
  3. john gates

john gates Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker

I use gsp 100 white exclusively. It just does it all. Dubbing loops or split thread. It's flat so it can go on smooth or spun up for a cord look. It's strong as shit. It doesn't streatch but meh I never tied long enough with the old-school to want the stretch factor. Half hitches are like a save in a video game. That's just me.

freestoneangler likes this.
  4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The Gudebrod I'm using is nylon, 170 denier. One nice characteristic is its ability to stretch. Sounds like the suggested options may require some adjustment. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. HooverK

HooverK Member

You could try a spool of UTC 140 denier. It’s flat, pretty strong, and has some stretch. It’s a good all around thread.

6. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

You could always go to the Danville flatwax, it's 210 denier, wraps flat, and you can split it for dubbing loops if desired and costs less than the others.