Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Guess What??

NFR 
3K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  Alex MacDonald 
#1 ·
Hey kiddies....Stevens opens tomorrow!!!! Y'all guess where I'm gonna be!!

#16 ·
I skied for fifteen years. Loved it. Was even Ski Patrol for a while. Then at 25 I decided to teach myself to snowboard. Beat the shit out of myself as it was an icy year. Fractured my tailbone, twice. Knocked myself unconscious at least once. It was so much more challenging than skiing, and so much more rewarding. I know for a fact now I'll never voluntarily strap skiis on again until I get too old to board. Then I'll reluctantly have to switch back over.

Reactions: 13223
#17 ·
yeah, it was a difficult day for me...first, a run up to Stevens, where the snow was adequate but "sparse" in some spots. Since I have a season pass I don't feel like I have to spend the whole day getting the most for my buck, so it was back down valley to Rock Island Golf Course, for 9 holes! Life is difficult under these circumstances, so now, it's "feet up" and a snifter of good cognac for His Lordship here......

#21 ·
I was wondering if we'd get a report. I have yet to go to Stevens. It's on the list though. Problem is I have friends with cabins near both Crystal and White Pass. Makes it a pretty sweet deal.

Also I remember one of the first times going skiing here in western WA. We were driving up to Crystal and I remember seeing people with mountain bikes in the back of their trucks, green golf courses, etc and was just thinking "Are we really headed skiing right now?" By the time we hit the Crystal road it looked like a winter wonderland, but it was a trip before that.

#18 ·
Man I should start skiing again. I really miss it but the cost is getting a bit too much.
that's why I went into National Ski Patrol; it's even tax deductable! My mother's family is from Val d`Isere in the French Alps, and every now and then, the Patrol would have exchange programs with the Swiss and French Patrols. We'd spend two weeks working with them, learning their methods and stuff, and it was all written off, even when I stayed with family; the restaurant tab was written off. I didn't try to write off the bar tab though.....

#28 ·
you poor schlubs..... I ski so well I don't have to DO "deep knee bends"!:D:D

But!! Today's ski report from Paseo del Esteban....Daisy's great-ego snow! Difficult to screw up. That's the extent of it-Skyline and Hogsback were both open, but lots of restricted areas thanks to uneven snow. Especially on Skyline! Shoulder-deep holes there on the bottom side of rocks, lots of craters where the boarders augered in and got stuck. Snowing when we left, and will pick up more over the next few days. It was quite warm too-barely 30 degrees when we left. And the highway sucked! But...it's open, and while painful, my knee held together (mostly). SOB hurts on left turns, which means i'm raising my ski. Time for a cortisone shot!!

#42 ·
Then on the days when it is skied out in the resort there is freshies to be had in the side country... Just need some of those funny skis where your heal can be free to go uphill like everyone has mentioned above...;)

If you ever make it that way MTski let me know White has been my home mountain for 20+ years and I love taking people around.

#45 ·
Then on the days when it is skied out in the resort there is freshies to be had in the side country... Just need some of those funny skis where your heal can be free to go uphill like everyone has mentioned above...;)

If you ever make it that way MTski let me know White has been my home mountain for 20+ years and I love taking people around.
Nice. Do you know Steve Fohn by chance? Long shot but he's a long time WP regular. I'm usually skiing with him when I go up there. It's usually big dump days, so I'm just following him around in a blizzard and still wouldn't say I know the mountain very well. But the steep tree runs are fantastic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.