Guides and pictures

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chk, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

If that's your thing go for it. It's about pleasing yourself not all of us. :cool: Obvously you're not alone or there wouldn't be very many guides in business.

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Chad, i totally agree that those trips that you learn to do it yourself and put all the pieces together to land a fish are the most satisfying. The best is when you go one step further and land that big fish on a fly you tied or a rod you built.

All that aside: What makes posing with a fish a "hero pic"? Trying to pass it off as your own feat is lame if the guide was seriously working for you. But how many people are trying to do that? I sort off just think of it as a moment to remember. A "polaroid" moment if you will. I've had guides that have shown me how to hold a fish then get out of the way before the pic was taken. It wasn't that hard.
    Some guy that goes to some far off place and knows he's not likely to ever go back catches a fish and knows how to handle it because he's knowledgeable and experienced wants to take a picture for his vacation album, or his desk at work to remember the good times when he has to work 50 hours a week. But the guide won't let him. So he's sitting there off to one side as the guide is striking a pose. He gets three weeks of vacation a year of those three weeks: one week is spent visiting relatives he couldn't care about, One week is spent taking his wife on some vacation some place he would never think of going to on his own to give her a break from her 35 hour a week job in which all she does is gossip with her coworkers, 2 days are personal days he uses to run errands like holiday shopping and picking out a b-day present for his wife, 1 day he took off but got called in at the last minute to handle a crisis, the last 2 days are his. Let the guy have his picture.
    I can see the conversation in his office now.
    "Where's this picture from."
    "Iceland, stopped over for two days last year after a big meeting in London."
    "You spend a lot of time there?"
    "No, that was the one and only time."
    "Who caught that fish?"
    "I did"
    "Whose holding it?"
    "THat was a guide we hired."
    "What was his name?"
    "Dont really remember."
    "Then why did you take the picture with him in it?"
    "Something about handling the fish properly. I've been fishing for 2o plus years but this green guide thought I wouldn't know what to do with a fish."
    "He help you land it?"
    "No, he pretty much drove us to the river and then spent the day flirting with my wife."

3. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    I'm a Libra, it's hard for me to settle on just one side of a conundrum.

4. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

:hmmm: Are you absolutely certain about that? :rofl:

JonB

5. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I think Richard was referring to the fact that "query" is a question. "Quarry" would be the game/fish you are targeting. All that said, thanks for the laugh Paul. Not everyone takes this stuff seriously:)

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

The one and only time I have hired a guide was for a bone fishing trip and I was going to take a picture of my guide and a nice little bone he landed for me.
    This is a quote "You don't want my black ass in your picture" then he handed me the fish and grabbed the camera and took my pictures. I'll try to find them and post'em"
    I'm going to hire this guide (Bahamas) again this October and I'll get his picture when he's not looking.
    I tried to talk him into a fishing trip here in Washington but he told me it was just to cold in Washington.
    I said it gets a 100 degrees. He said "then it's to hot"
    Smart guide, wants to stay in his home waters.

7. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Boy, we've got some boys with tiny peckers on this site (more specifically, in this post).:thumb:

8. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Active Member

"Anything but what I do is wrong." The superior attitude gives fly fishermen a bad name.

9. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

hehhehheh, Jason, you don't happento own a yellow corvette and a drawer full of golds gym tank tops? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beer2:

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

:rofl:

11. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

No, I own a Prius, have my own workout equipment, and USE GUIDES (along with any other fly guy who gets the chance to leave Snohomish County once in a while (you boys are from there right?).....

12. PT

PT Physhicist

Quote of the month right there.

A couple years ago I fished with a guide by the name of JD out on the OP. He was wearing a really nice hat that some clients from Pugetropolous brought him that said "Urban Elitist Flyfisherman" on it (hence my sig line). This was just after the Wild Steelhead Release was being proposed and the different user groups were either fighting for it or against it. The mayor of Forks basically said this, WSR, was just being pushed by a bunch of Urban Elitist Flyfisherman.

We've earned our moniker and continue to uphold it. Most guides are the strongest proponents for that which we all support but put very little effort into making reality. Gear fisherman are our allies not enemies. But we still consider them nothing more than gear chuckers/snaggers. Considering they make up close to 90% of the sport fishing community we should look at them as family. Instead we voice our differences (just as we do inside our own community in regards to the different methods we use to catch fish on the fly). Pretty disgusting really.

Back on topic. Not everyone has the opportunity to fish enough to get to know the run timing/water flows/holding water/etc. And others such as myself spend 95% of the time behind the oars trying to make sure the people I'm fishing with have the best chance to catch a fish. My boat, my turn around rig, and many times my gear. I"ve caught more than my share of (you name the anadromous species) that it's more about having those with me catch fish. So... It's pretty nice once in a while (yearly now) to just jump in the front of someone else's boat on water I'm not too familiar with and have a relaxing day fishing.. Yes, guided. Ahhhhh... Now that's relaxing.

Now really back on topic. And I think Sloan said it pretty well. How many reports or pictures have you seen on this site where people actually say "boy I caught this fish on my own on an unguided trip". Not many. I don't see a whole lot of self promotion going on from fisherman claiming to be experts and catching fish on their own when that's not the case. Nor do I see guides having to be in the picture for the glory shot. Sure, many times there's a guide in the picture but I'm sure most of the time it's because the client realizes the guide is part of their day on the water and wants them in the photo to capture the entire experience on film.

Now read the quote on top of this post again. Post of the month.:thumb:

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

nuff said... :rofl:

14. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

Nobody is saying guides or the people who hire them are bad. Nobody is saying fish caught with a guide aren't fun. Just that guides should get credit for the work that went into a trip.

15. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

The hats were just a small token of appreciation for a job well done. Kinda like (or in Paul's case, in lieu of) a tip.