Guides and pictures

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chk, Aug 27, 2007.

1. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

who really cares what is in someone else's picture? guide, no guide who cares!

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I just spit my coffee on my keyboard - thanks for that :eek: :rofl:

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Actually, if you go back and look, Alpine's comments were the silly one's because he didn't understand that I was not knocking guides. Apparently, you still don't get it either. Perhaps I'm not typing slow enough for you? :confused:

Jason, you can keep trying to slam my beginner flies and it just isn't holding up (yes, I am a new fly tier. You got me :rofl::rofl:). Try a new angle...

Oh, wait, now you are knocking the type of fish I target? All the salmon in my pics are almost 95% wild. Not sure why you think they are all hatchery. :confused: Maybe you should have consulted your guide?

Steelhead in my gallery are about 50/50 hatchery vs wild... My trip pics to mexico last year did involve a guide. But you'll also find lots of pics of SRCs, bulls\dollies, crappie, trout, and lots of other species ranging from salt water, lakes, rivers, beaver ponds, etc. But something different in my gallery vs yours that stands out (besides the fact that I have over twice as many views on mine :cool:), is that my pics aren't about me (and my paid guide) as much as they are about those I fish with - my kids, my wife, my dad, my brother, my good friends, my WFF friends. Lots of “first fish” pics where I get to play guide for the day with someone new to the sport. When I am alone, I generally don't bring the camera along and if I do, I rarely take pics just for the sake of the fish (I do from time to time, but probably 1 out of 100 fish caught).

PS - check again. The gallery I tend to use for my 'beginner flies' is called "patterns". There are sub categories from there I sometimes use when appropriate. Not sure why you think I use the main gallery for that??

Are you done with this this pissing contest yet?

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Good analysis. Even more props go to him for being able to support that beast on his extra skinny ankles...

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Any time man! :beer2:

I'm going fishin. No guide this time. I need to save the cash. I found double live Lynard Skynard album set that comes with an authentic piece of crashed helicopter on QVC. Itll look great on my shelf inbetween my Hulk Hogan championship belt replica and my mini big foot monster truck statue. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm out. Later guys. YEEEEEE HAWWWWW! :beer2:

6. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Many good points here, however I disagree with some of them. I personally see the pictures I take as my journal. I have few pictures of fish or days on the river in which I cannot tell you what time of year, what color fly, temperature, what kind of presentation, water clarity, etc. Some pics are memorable while others are to document the moment/experience. Some get posted here while many do not.

I personally evolved from an environment of catch kill to catch and release and do not mind taking a few pics instead of taking something home with me. It was not that far in the past when animals, their heads and horns were mounted on walls to decorate and show off a trophy.

In regards to the great photos that portray the sport, well they say a thousand words. Even the pictures with Brian O'keefe holding up some monster trout in Alaska or a permit he caught on some remote tropical island. They still say a lot about the experience, excitement, joy and beauty of the event. My collection of fly fishing magazines has pictures of him all over the place.

I have fished with a few guides and I never felt like they took full credit for a fish caught that day. Guides are a valuable resource to our community and if they feel a client cannot hold a fish properly and safely for a picture, then they shouldn't be holding the fish. It is the guide's job to protect the fish just as much as it is to get the client into a fish. Does it stroke their ego if their clients consistantly catch fish, then good for them.

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Wrong again, all star. I know you weren't knocking guides, but in fact were knocking fish caught with guides as being somehow unworthy of any sense of pride in their capture. Let's face it Chad, I've caught a lot more fish in a lot more situations and locations than you have. Some of those have been guided, but most of them weren't, and I can tell you first hand that I worked a lot harder for most of the fish I caught with guides than I did for the self-guided ones. To write off any fish caught with a guide as unworthy is just flat out bullshit and to say so highlights your ignorance and narrow-mindedness. Like Jason pointed out, there's more to fishing than "incidental" pinks on the Skykomish and crappie from farm ponds.

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Alpine, the only thing you and jason have in common is that you have sticks so far up your butts you have to actually pay people to fish with you.

If you didnt' have some sort of guilt complex, you'd clearly see that I NEVER said ANYTHING about those fish caught with the aid of a guide being unworthy. Pull your head out (and the stick) and look again.

9. alpinetrout

Seriously? That's all you've got? I know you always have to get in the last word, even when you know you're wrong, but come on, I know you can do better.

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Once again, wrong about what? Show me where I said any fish caught is (guided or not) is "unworthy"... Can't do it can you? You are creating an argument (and losing it) that does not really exist. :confused:

11. alpinetrout

You mean like this?

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Exactly :beathead:

BRAGGING is the key word. Says nothing about the fish and everything about the 'fisherman'.

You couldn't find the word "unworthy" or anything close to that being used to describe the fish could you?:confused:

Is this striking too close to home that you feel the need to keep riding this non-argument?

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Personally I like Mustad hooks but I can't seem to get them in the styles I want so I end up using Daiichi more often.

14. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

:rofl: Let's hope that is the nail in the coffin on this one.

15. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Awesome post! :rofl::rofl: