Guiding Not Permitted?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 9, 2012.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

The locals want to fish on the weekends without getting pounded..this "law" has been in discussion for some time...Mostly locals and residents were getting pissed off by overseas and out of province guides who were setting up shop and running clients through them all season...when you pull into a first come first served camping area and see tents set up that aren't in use but put there for "clients" use and you are from that province and have no where else to camp etc. it would piss you off some as well I'd think...

Unfortunetly...IMHO they threw the baby out with the bath water on this one and let the guides and lodges dictate what they wanted for monetary reasons...

Limiting days one could get a license on the same system etc AND having DFO out to enforce it would have done more to solve the problem..

2. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Something else I'd like to say on this Jesse and I'm sure I'll take a bunch of heat for it is...I also used to think of guides as "stewarts" of the rivers..but the more I'm out there the more I question this thinking...The days of guys on the OP sharing their knowledge and respect for the fish has taken a back seat to using methods "deemed" fly fishing that are not and instead badger the poor fish out of any resting water they might have had in the name of catching more fish for their clients...

Up north, guides taking over camping area's etc. Sending off weekly blogs and naming small systems with few wild fish in them all in the name of selling goods and services in their shops instead of protecting these fish irritates me no end...
    Fudging numbers or blatantly lying to get people to sign up etc. etc. etc.

Last but not least the guide out of forks with pic's of all the dead wild steelhead he's got his clients into....WTF???

I know there are guides who are fly only and that means fly only...but that almost seems an oxymoron now...

Chris Bellows likes this.
  3. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

What about the American guy who buy's a house in Spences Bridge and has an amazing number of "freinds" rotate thru during the short THOMPSON season.I think there should be a limited number of days that foreigners can fish on classified waters and it should be monitored by confiscating boats/trucks and gear if broken.The days should be consecutive days and you get one shot--say 5-7 days
    This has become an industry on the Thompson as well as the \Bulkely and should stop

4. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

On the other side of things the guides are facilitating experiences with people who may come to care about the place enough to get involved in conservation. They are spending money that trickles down to the very people who are complaining about the crowds. It's hard to believe with all of the bureaucracy that plagues this state that it is so easy and cheap to become a guide, and that it's a free-for-all out there.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

With my keen ability to be good at campfire conversation, travel with a nice bottle of spirits for OFF the water use when NOT operating a motorized vehicle or boat and some cool stories to tell that will support my inability to put any true pressure on a fishery any full campsite would welcome me to pull up a chair. I can sleep in my rig, it is pretty comfy and not upside down.

6. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    Most of the guys fishing the Thompson are Canadians...and most of the people breaking regulations and killing fish are Canadians/locals. I don't see very many foreign plates there...BC and Alberta make up 90% of the vehicles there. There is a very fine line to toe before you bite the hand that feeds...NRA's already make up the bulk of contributions to the classified fee system...step over that line and a lot of money goes bye-bye.

7. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Americans , and other NRA`s , are the least of the problems the Thompson faces .

kamishak steve likes this.
  8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

You must have been drunk as hell when you typed this Mumbles.... run on of the year award!

9. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

That "guy" owns property on that river..he pays his taxes to the province of b.c and is a local..no matter where he's from...he's also one of the coolest people in the sport..he opens his house for "american" thanksgiving as it's on a different month then b.c. to all who care to stop in...and that's probably 99% canadian....
    Since spences is almost completely bankrupt and almost devoid of anywhere to stay or eat it's a very welcome place if you have any class and/or he invites you...

Us foreigners spend $20 a day to have the privelge of fishing that fine river on the odd chance it opens....it is NOTHING like the smithers area ..nothing!!! there are no more foreigners coming from long distances to stay and fish there...as there is no where for them to do so and without knowing if it will open at all in the first place...

10. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

11. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

So this cool guy takes business away from the Motels and the RV park in the dismal economy of Spences Bridge? THAT'S COOL?

12. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    "That cool guy" happens to have contributed significant amounts of money to the Steelhead Society of BC as well...what have you done for the Thompson YAMMY?

Foreign anglers are not an issue on the Thompson. I love how you act like you're trying to speak for the business owners in the area...guess what would happen if the idea you proposed a few posts back were to happen...yeah, mull that one over...your posts reek of hypocrisy and spite.

Brian Thomas likes this.
  13. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Limiting Non resident use and guides ( outfitters) is a very effective managment tool. Reducing over fishing pressure while spreading the opportunity accross the spectrum of users. As far as the Skeena, it's not our backyard, so if they want preserve a little more for themselves, duh!

Another example that appears to work for everyone.
    http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=45118

14. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

You've never fished the Beaverhead have you?

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

We've got no guide days on the kenai, we also have no motor days on the kenai. I wish they would implement some fees as well.

Clearly the only option is to figure out how to immigrate to Canada