Hancock Timber & North Fork Snoqualmie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by weirdwindknot, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Kent hit it on the spot.
    You can focus on your fishing instead of wondering if your vehicle is going to be messed around by a tweaker.. Definitely worth the cost versus a broken window and stolen contents from your vehicle..

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Hey Kent, were you around before WWI.(Copied from Paragraph 3) Boy you must be old, because I can only remember gas at 10 cents a gallon.

But that was in the late 50's. Them gas wars were sweet. $2.00 worth of gas got you anyplace you wanted to go in the Greater Seattle area. Back in them days one didn't worry about how many miles you got to a gallon. Nobody seem to worry about that figure. Only when the price of gas started up did that figure come up.

I might be old but I can only remember the good fishing from the 50's and on.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Jim, I'm old too, but not THAT old - and certainly not as old as YOU! <just kidding, of course!>

A couple guys I know collect the old Ben Parris fishing guides and have graciously given me copies of the sections covering the lakes up on the tree farm knowing of my interest in them. Back then, guides like those were quite open about telling folks how to get to fishing locations. I guess when it took all day to get somewhere, there wasn't much danger of it being overrun.

Back in the early 1970s, I could literally fill up my truck's gas tank by rummaging through my furniture cushions and clothes pockets for loose change. I vividly remember buying gas at times with a handful of coins.

That all changed during the first Arab oil embargo (in 1974 I think), when the price zoomed up as supplies fell. I worked at a gas station my last year in college and remember the lines of cars waiting for gas and how pissed the drivers were when we ran out and had to close in the middle of the day. One of my coworkers was assaulted by a driver and we had to separate them while the owner called the police. I soon found a different job.

K

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I remember waiting in line to get 5 gallons so you could go someplace else to get 5 gallons more. And the price went up to 60 cents a gallon. Highway robbery.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I remember when diesel was $4.48 in Moses Lake. It seems like just yesterday.

6. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I bought a pass this year for the first time. The main reason was to be able to fish close to home with my 12-year old daughter. I fish the Cedar a lot, and although you can get away from the yahoos, it's really an urban experience that's not always enjoyable. And I always have a bad feeling in the back of my mind about the chance of my vehicle being broken into - never had that feeling at the tree farm.

There's tons of skinny water and lakes that look great at least on paper at least. The NF looks fantastic from my scouting - although perhaps a little sterile. I've driven around a couple of times, once with the family, and once on my own. It's a vast area. Getting to the various rivers can be a challenge - there's not the helpful trails worn down to fishing access so some real bush whacking. But there is a sense of satisfaction getting to water that maybe no one has fished in years and may not fish again this season.

Will it be worth it? We'll see at the end of the summer.

Ed Call likes this.
  7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

That's exactly the attitude you need to have for The Farm, Darryl. It'll be worth it to you I'll bet.

8. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

bike fishing?

9. Kent Lufkin

Huh?

K

10. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

drive. gear up. bike. fish. bike back. un-gear. drive home.

*ninja style*

Lex Story likes this.
  11. Kent Lufkin

Go for it, as long as you have your walk-in permit. It's a trespassing citation for the ninja if they catch you without one.

K

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do they say about kids, do each of them need a permit also???

13. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

Kids under 19 are fine, but they need to be listed on the permit, as does your spouse. And if you list your spouse, you need to be legally married, you can't share your pass with a fishing buddy, unless you legally marry them. The permit holder needs to carry the permit and photo ID. But it's not as if my kids bring their passport or we bring our marriage license - so I assume there is some discretion as long as it looks more or less legit.

Below is the info from the website at https://hancockrecreationnw.com. There's a similar one for motorized access as well.

Just FYI, I've been there twice this year, and got checked by the Hancock security once. Not sure if the 50% checking rate will continue or if that is just a random event.
    Non-motorized Recreation Access for Families

Each person who walks, bicycles or rides an animal on Snoqualmie Forest must have a permit or be listed on a family permit. There are two types of permits available, individual permits and family permits. Family permits cost $150 and there are an unlimited number of permits available. For the purpose of this permit, family is defined as legally married spouses and their children less than 19 years of age.

14. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

sounds like a "ninja challenge" to me!

15. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

If the individual non-motorized permit costs $75....how much does a trespassing ticket cost? ;)