Hangover Cure

I learned a couple of things this weekend on the Klickitat and I thought I would share. I swung a lot both Saturday and Sunday.

Friday night I drank very little and got a good night’s rest and woke up feeling refreshed and raring to go. I had a great day (any day on a beautiful river with a Spey Rod is a great day in my opinion), but my casting was sporadic at best. I had some good cast but then they would get sideways and I would really try to concentrate on what I was doing wrong and that made things worse, and then I would get frustrated and try to muscle it to compensate for my lack of skill then they really went to shit.

Saturday night, I drank a bunch of bourbon, woke up feeling like hell, my head was pounding and I thought I was going to puke (literally). It was a guided trip or I probably would have stayed in bed.

It was one of those hangovers that you swear you’ll never drink again. I waded into the river, was climbing over a rock and put my hand on the rock to stabilize myself and what do you know, there was a big pile of some kind of slimy bird shit, and I stuck my left hand right in the center of it…I did gag then.

But once I got past the bird shit and boulders and drug my sorry ass into the river, my casting was good and stayed good all day, I had a few crappy cast but it didn’t start the downward spiral it had the day before. My theory is; I was too foggy to over think it, and too tired to try to muscle it.

Eventually the nausea subsided, but I still felt rough, my stomach was churning and the headache persisted, but so did this newfound consistency in my casting. Even though I felt like hell, I was having my best day of casting ever.

And then sometime around 3:30 pm, when I was feeling like I didn’t have one more cast left in me, I discovered the cure for a hangover. The cure was a 10 pound wild hen that nailed my fly on the swing.

This was my 4th Steelhead and by personal best so far, she fought well and I don’t know if it was the rush of adrenaline or what, but she completely cured my hangover.

Klikitat.jpg

Release.jpg

I think the important thing to be learned here is not that catching a fish cured your hangover, but rather that you caught a fish precisely because you were hungover.

I always try to get good and drunk the night before a fishing trip. Always ups your odds--as long as you can make it to the water.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Congrat.'s! Nothing kills a hangover like a steelhead. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago where I got straight up whiskey drunk, complete with a bloody forehead. I landed a fish in the 1st run and hooked 5 for the day including one on a skater. It was the best day of steelheading that I had ever had to that point.
I remember rowing down from that 1st run thinking. "how is it my head does not hurt?"

Go Sox,
cds

Awesome! Congrats man.

We tried the hangover trick a couple days this past week there and couldn't seem to find any river the salmon weren't dominating. Still fun to watch a 25lb fish in 1' of water though!

jersey

livin' the dream
nice job! the second photo rocks, its not crisp, but instead smooth, like your bevy of choice.

1792 lately, but Woodford is on the radar