Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Happy Father's Day to me.

Boats 
3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
It's not new, but got a hell of a deal on it.

We're using a lot of kayaks in Project Healing Waters, and I had a sit inside kayak. Great boat for the sound, but a tad tipsy to fish out of. I've been looking at sit on tops, just haven't found a good fishing one in my price range. Today I had a boat fall in my lap.

I was looking at the Outcast commander, thought they were interesting. Did another search for kayak and up popped the predecessor to the commander, the power drifter. It's a 2004 model, but barely used. Still had receipt and all the goodies with it. 500# capacity, motor mount/anchor release with zip out motor well. Has a solid foam floor (next series was an inflatable floor, this was model I was after). And kicker, only $200 and literally up the street from my house. Took me more time to withdraw cash then it did to go to his house and back home.

Cool thing, I have an extra padded seat. Gonna buy a kayak paddle and use it without the frame and oars.

Here's a review of boat.

http://www.totalflyfishing.com/reviews/outcast-power-drifter-review/

Plant Car Vehicle Tire Hood

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Wasn't looking for an inflatable kayak. Was funny I had just looked at the commander on a fluke (dealer was selling one). Saw power drifter, did a quick search for reviews, then made an offer.

#5 ·
They wanted $300, I offered $200 and they took offer. It was meant to be. My account was low with Brad's graduation. Worth every penny ok his party and graduating gift, just account lower than expected. Guess it was meant to be.

Reactions: Freestone
#6 ·
I already have a nice stadium style seat. I'm going to pick up a kayak paddle to use with stadium seat. Maybe even try with the framed seat, since the oar towers unpin.

#14 ·
I've heard nothing but great reviews on this boat. Didn't really find a really bad one. Why I bit, even though I wanted a hard hull sit on top. I'll probably still get one, just going to play with this one for a bit.

Reactions: Shamoo
#16 ·
I've always been a boat whore. Finally selling boats and buying up the one's I'm after. This was too good of price to pass up.

#17 ·
Boat Blue Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Inflatable boat

Fully inflated with floor in. Strapped in frame. Had an anchor rope and anchor for a small toon. May look into either one of those glue on rod holders or work on fixing my pontoon clamp on holder.

#19 ·
I was thinking same thing. I have a small electric trolling motor and I have an Airman in my program giving me a 3hp internal tank gas motor. That's if I want to register the hull.

#22 ·
I'm one step ahead of you. Motor mount/anchor mount does come off. Zipper area isn't very big. It may be doable. What I was thinking was reversing frame so I could put my feet down and wade in boat like a watermaster.

Yes, the bolt on rod holders will work. I would like some that would stay on if I opted to row without frame like a standard kayak.

I'm gonna play with boat, really test it out.

#24 ·
It won't work. I just measured and you'd have to be a size Zero to get your legs on there.

G
#27 ·
thats a great boat but remmber its river boat and a few of those modals came with a kind of pocket under the floor that open to the front, rumor has it to keep the boat upright and in the water when going through white water, so its kinda counter productive puting a motor on it, but it can be done. my dad has one with a 55 # thrust trolling motor and it does just fine- just go backwards!

#28 ·
Lol, I only plan to use motor on lakes. I'll use it as a regular boat on rivers. Not really worried about whitewater. I have boats for doing that.

#29 ·
Water Watercraft Boat Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

I used it this weekend. I actually did an on river modification with frame. Have a lot of ideas to retrofit frame for river fishing. Boat performed quite well. Think I'm really gonna like this boat.

#32 ·
I checked, you're right. They can't seem to be able to decide on regs. I was told a few years back that if a combustible engine motor was put on it must be registered regardless of size. At that point I wasn't that keen on putting a motor on my other pontoon boat.

BTW, boat handles like a dream. Not sure I'll proceed on a hard side SOT kayak anymore. This may truly be an all in one boat for my one man needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.