Hardy Cascapedia MKII or Loop Classic.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by jcalderon, Apr 15, 2009.

1. GR8LAKES FLYER

GR8LAKES FLYER Member

Amen brother !!!

I have five of these babies and love each one of them equally !!
    John , did Tim happen to mention his new "dually" option ?? It's two clickers instead of one .... wicked !! My most recent one has it and you should hear it sing ....... sexy !!

Mike

2. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Does anyone know about how long those Spey Co reels are backrdered?

I am very interested.

3. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Are you changing your mind about needing a tough drag? :rolleyes:

Honestly, you don't need a disc or other hard-core drag for steelhead or Atlantic salmon. The click-and-pawls allow YOU to fight the fish, which is what it's all about IMHO....

BFR

4. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Well, after thinking about it more logically, my favorite little single hand trout reel is an orvis CFO with a loud clicker and little to no drag.

I am no designer, nor do I claim to know reels that well, but my question is does a traditional "click and pawl" reel have a mechanism to prevent the reel from continuing to spin after a fish takes a hard run? Or do I need to keep it palmed to control the "overspin" from the inertia of the run?

Hopefully this question makes sense. Thanks.

5. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I'm really intrigued with the Speyco reels as well and traded some emails with the owner of Speyco recently. I would have bought one if they were available. He could not even give me a ball park estimate on when the next batch of Summer Speys would be available. The best he could do was inform me that he was trying to finish up a batch of 3.75 inch reels which I think might actually be a better match for your Scott rod then a 4 inch Summer Spey. I believe that the 3.75" Speyco Trout reels are somewhere around 9 to 11 oz depending on options. That weight would be at the upper end of the range with the "S" handle.

I think that it might be a bit of a challenge to get one reel to balance out both of those rods you have. If you want one reel to do double duty, I would try to stay on the lighter side so you don't over balance the Scott.

6. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I'm looking in to the trout, switch reel. It will be in 3",3.5". I can't wait.

7. FLGator

FLGator Member

JC,
    Save your money and buy right the first time. Buy an heirloom and go with an Olson. Handcrafted right here in the USA with a sound that is remarkable.

Seriously, save your money and buy the best. You'll never regret it.

8. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

FL GATOR, I understand what youre saying, and with all due respect, I cannot see myself owning a "real" heirlook just yet. I am 24 years old and without trying to offend anybody, I still fish hard, hike around, beat the bush, drink too much, ect. I definitely plan on owning some heirlooms as I get closer to fatherhood, "adult" life ect. Again, I am not implying anything about anyone who owns a fancy reel, I am just saying its time for a "Lexus" not a rolls royce.

9. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I don't know, that Loop classic kinda looks like a Rolls Royce.:beer1:

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I'm with FLGator..... William Olson's reels are beautiful pieces of work. Maybe William will post a link. If not, check out Redshed's web site under Poppy's ramblings for some pics. In fact, William, I have to place an order. :D

11. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

There are so many reels that will to the job in the $100 to $200 range. Pick the one you like and get on the water. If you look around. You can find then under $100.
    Good Luck!!!!!!!

12. billyspey

billyspey New Member

HARRIS SPORTSMALL UK has the korean hardy cascapedia mkII for rasonable price

13. billyspey

billyspey New Member

sorry the info i gave is wrong correct site is HARRIS SPORTSMAIL .com

14. herl

herl Member

There is no risk of over run on any decent click-pawl reel. The palming only comes in when you want to slow the fish down a little.

My opinion:

I love the old Hardy "perfect" style reels, don't have to be Hardy by the way, Dingley and Young are just as good.

A less expensive option is the Marquis Series, salmon #2 and #3 are spey models. They are reversible and have a palming rim. The Made in England, brass foot classics can be had in the $250-$350 range. Very nice reels, and timeless.

I can definately dig the Spey co. reels too - but there is the wait.. and for my money, I'd rather get an old reel.

Eric