Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy or Speyco reel

Wanted 
2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  TotezMcFloatz 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a Hardy or Speyco reel for a 7wt-8wt spey rod.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a 4" Speyco Symmetry with the Snake Roll handle upgrade in Black / Silver if you find you're interested. This is a stock photo from Tim's site. My reel is on its way back from him as I sent it in for spring upgrades. Expect to have it back this week. Reel is identical to picture and spotless. $375 shipped...

#7 · (Edited)
Just a fair warning if you buy a used speyco ask for internal pics there was massive drama about them on spey pages being completely rusted out.

Last Sept the guy who makes the reels said he is now using different materials and made the switch recently.

"The new wires are made from a different grade of stainless so stronger and very UN rusty."

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim

#8 · (Edited)
Just a fair warning if you buy a used speyco ask for internal pics there was massive drama about them on spey pages being completely rusted out.
Perfect timing with the picture...

Actually...if you're considering a used Speyco...I'd jump on them as they're great reels at great buys. As to the above post, I'd suggest personally educating yourself as to the true nature of the post referenced on the other forum and you'll soon realize it was much to do about nothing...and more to do about an individual who has a personal mission to bash Speyco at every opportunity. In fact, if someone is considering a Speyco and is concerned about this topic...just go to the forum noted above and search "Speyco? Heads up?" And you soon find the SINGLE thread on this subject. Please keep in mind that the primary bruiser of the group has a buddy who is a competitive reel maker. I own 7+ Speyco's and all have performed flawlessly.

To specifically address the "full of rust" concern...Tim...owner of Speyco...specifically explains that what the concerned individual was seeing was that "SOME...of the old hex wires and gears made from old 410 stainless steel picked up scale from the heat treating process. The "rust" was not rust, it was heat treating scale that would just wash away". Tim then went on to say that he'd changed spring steel as he was frustrated by that appearance and would gladly replace and regrease the reel free of charge or just send out a new set of springs. The springs are stainless and the frame is aluminum...doesn't rust.

Again...the gist of the entire thread is a specific individual or two who are determined to ride Tim at every possible moment.

Buy Speyco reels with complete confidence in the product and the builder. I have zero association with Tim, other than having spent a bunch of money with him on reels. Great guy...great reels. As for the reel I offered up, no problem if you don't want it. Posted it as you asked about one. Someone will jump on it once I get it back this week. I'll gladly open the reel for anyone to view the internals.

A sampling of my personal Speyco's...

#12 · (Edited)
You are correct, looks like rust...but it's not rust. Look closely and you'll see that the springs have no rust, the stainless hex nuts have no rust, the liquid and grease mixed with "liquid" that is present is the only thing appearing to look like rust. That is the scale in suspension. A wipe down or a quick rinse would remove what's there. Regrease and good to go. However, this is why the spring changes were made by Speyco. No one intentionally rusted out a reel...it wasn't rust to begin with.

I do get passionate about all of my gear. I felt compelled to provide more detail to an otherwise blanket warning about Speyco's "full of rust"...as that's false information. That being said, if you're interested in the reel it will be available later this week. If not, no problem...as I mentioned, just responding to your WTB for a Speyco. If there's a lingering concern...I'd probably go to your other option...the Hardy...also nice reels.

#10 · (Edited)
As you can see, people get very passionate about their reels... Especially ones they are trying to sell you ;)

I don't own a speyco and they are probably great reels. I bought a hardy around Xmas so maybe I'm biased.

Just make sure you get internal pics of whatever you buy. Everything you read online is an opinion that is most likely biased one way or the other.

If that guy on spey pages intentionally rusted out his reel to post a pic of it then that's pretty crazy.

Not here to get into an argument just wanted to let you know of a potential issue before you drop 3+ bills on a noise maker ;)

Good luck

#14 ·
I'm not bias or siding with any one but I will second the rust look. Could be possible considering no matter what the reel, the click sound is from metal on metal, the fine particles of what ever the metal was. The water in the reel over a duration will cause it to rust, not left to dry properly prior to storing will leave your beloved reel not so pretty. That's how I see it and anyone who are passionate about our sport should take the reel apart once in a while to clean and grease, cleaning our tools. All reels need loving to perform their best and should last your lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.