Has anyone caught a steelhead on the Samish River?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Norme, Dec 28, 2008.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Curt, sometimes I think you are to helpful.:(

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

This thread is a prime example of why the internet makes me sick.

WDFW biologist I talked to said they estimate 25 wild fish in the river and that they estimate each gets caught 10 times.

This river should and probably will be closed.

I wish all of you could stop your blabbering for a second.

Seriously, STFU!

If you want to fish it just fucking go already.

I have been holding back from saying this because I know it will just blow this thread up even more.

Oh and thanks FT, you are very foolish IMO.

Every fisherman with any experience in this area knows that stream and is wise enough to keep their trap shut on the internets.

The last thing we need is yet another fishery closing and even more pressure on the next fishery down the road! :beathead:

Why do you steelheaders not realize this? How is it possible that you posted this? Are you totally nieve?

3. Norme

Norme DM is a D bag

can a mod delete this thread

4. Runejl

Runejl Josh

I prefer to use a 7/8 Deer Creek Spey on that river with 550 grain Airflo Compact Skagit head. A fifteen foot tip of t-14 really helps to get your fly down to where the fish are. Those wild fish in there are real screamers though so you may want to step it up to the 8/9 weight.

Before you go make sure you tie up some classic spey flies. Jungle Cock will really get these fish turned on.

The other trick to fishing the Samish is to concentrate all your efforts right at the Old 99Bridge. The Steelhead really concentrate here as it is right below the hatchery and has some really nice riffles and pools.

Have fun out there.

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

I agree it sucks when someone outs your personal playground on the web. :rofl: Hopefully you realize every time you replied to it you boosted this threads search engine ranking. :rolleyes: This one just made page one one google.

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

WFF is very well indexed by google. Jason's post didn't make things any worse or better in that regard.

7. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

There's a silver lining here if we play our cards right. Adding a bonafied "S" river to the Wetside Occupiers of Fishermen list would be worth a pound-o-gold. (Solid 8.5 on the rant...maybe the best I've seen this year...all good :D)

8. fishkisser99

fishkisser99 Member

25 fish?! Crap--I missed one!

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

This site may very well be the devil.

Damn....

10. Be Jofus G

Tisk Tisk Tisk, Josh you should know this. :rofl: View source and search it by the words steelhead and Samish. Note the > strong> tag that each reply to this thread generates by default. Every post to this thread for sure boosted organic search engine rankings. If this was a post about the skykomish and steelhead then yes you would be correct, it probably would not make a difference due to saturation. Forget what I do for a living man? :thumb:

11. Be Jofus G

PS It just made page one first item in google. Isn't SEO Grand. LOL

12. FT

FT Active Member

Jason,

Thanks for your uninformed opinion.

The Samish is not a secret and has not been a secret for many, many years. It has been written about in the Bellingham Herald, Skagit Valley Herald, Everett Herald, Seattle Times, and the Tacoma newspaper many times over the last 40-50 years. It has been a fair amount of press in Fishing and Hunting News and there is quite a bit on it out on the internet. I was simply pointing out the obvious to anyone who has any knowledge of the Samish and the amount of fishing pressure it gets. Plus, just because a person is willing to walk 400 yds or so on the Samish, it doesn't mean he is going to have the run to himself. In fact, it is very likely, one will find someone fishing it within 200' of anywhere you happen to go on it. And the Samish above the hatchery is only accessible at bridge crossing and then you have to stay in the river, which is not easy to do, because it is surrounded by private property and the landowners don't allow folks to tresspass on their land to fish it.

Posting something on the Samish is akin to posting about the wonderful, uncrowded fishery on Whatcom Creek below Dupont St. the Cascade around and below the Marblemount Hatchery, the NF Stilly around Fortson, the Skykomish around Reider Ponds, the Nooksack between Hwy 9 and the mouth of the NF, etc.

In fact, I'm glad it wasn't stocked in 2007 with hatchery fish. The truth is I'd like to see it never stocked with hatchery steelhead and be totally C&R for steelhead because then the crowds would go away and one would be able to have relative solitude on this nice little river (more of a stream really).

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Secrecy drives interested fly fishers from our ranks. If it is a secret don't talk about it, don't take anyone there. If word gets out and others frequenting that spot ruins your solitude feel free to hike into the backcountry or far from the beaten path to find another secret spot. That is true adventure. I've met so many fly anglers that are polarized in personality regarding information, very willing or absolutely unwilling to share. How fun is that when you are trying to expand your knowledge, learn a few things and join the ranks? Thank heavens for the very willing half.

I'll pass my personal thanks to those that havee given me tidbits here and there for helping make last year a good one on the fly and I look forward to meeting and fishing with more of you. I have no secret spots, just spots where I fish. Anyone want to go fishing?

14. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

FT,

Good post.

However, if they don't plant it with hatchery fish, then the likelyhood of finding your solitude is even greater since it probably won't be open to steelhead fishing period since PS are on the ESA.

Not saying I want to see hatchery plants continue, just saying that without those plants steelhead fishing will be a thing of the past until they are recovered and delisted.

15. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

BDD, if the stock is consistently making its escapement and the preseason forecast predicts it will do so in a given year it is my understanding that WDFW is permitted by NOAA to allow fishing. Fishing occurs in ESA listed ESUs all the time.