Has guideline shot themselves in the foot

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by John Hicks, May 29, 2012.

1. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

I've often wondered how rod design changes with the changing rod user market. How much are the old designs changed to accommadate the influx of less experienced casters, to make the rods more "user friendly"? I've read on several posts the old Le Cies were too "fast" for beginners. I don't agree with that, but I suspect such comments affect what beginners will purchase. Could it be a rod maker will change design to capture more of the influx of new casters?

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Good to hear the thoughts from Europe , I wonder if they consider the same factors when buying SAGE or loomis...

The reel is a good point... How many people will consider "repair service
    "as part of the equation? I don't... Because there is tiny chance to have a reel failure compare to rod. I won't hesitate to buy unique , samll companies from Japan or Sweden. And if it fail... There are so many experts in the us can fix it for you with samll fee.

3. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Justin, I have to totally disagree with you. I have cast the three piece for an entire summer and I own the 4 piece. I don't think that there is enough difference between the two to merit saying they "screwed them up!!!"

Just my .02 cents having cast both extensively that is.

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Cool, do you have a three piece lecie 7wt you wanna sell, or know anyone who does?

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

If you guys have any issues contact Buddy Wright. He's tour west coast rep. Great guy who can work to resolve any of your Guideline issues and questions. bvwright@q.com

6. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:

There were a couple floating around speypages a few weeks ago. I personally would pass on the 3 piece as they cannot be fixed if broken as far as I know. The 4 pieces guideline still has blanks for. I could be wrong.