Haunted

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Charles Sullivan, Jan 1, 2010.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Salmo, I'm not so sure you are older than I. But you are right it is not the point. I was having an old man Jim moment. I haven't forgotten why I chase tail.

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Here's another thought. I've never caught a steelhead in bed. But I have gotten a bit o' tail on the river.

Beltre,
    cds

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Kerry,

I could begin collecting SS in less than a year. However, I refuse to grow up.

Sg

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Ok, you got me by a year or two. Grow up? I didn't get a steady job until I was in my forties. Whos growing up?

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    It's things like these that reaffirm my choice to not have children.

6. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    Mission accomplished!

Beltre,
    cds

7. Marty Leith

Marty Leith Member

Charles, I think we may have some mutual pals...this thread got me...too funny. My wife and I got our heels kicked out from under us when our 2nd was born 2 months ago. One is a blessing, two is a sentence, right? Lord knows I love em both and if there were a gun to the head forcing the decision....the family vs. steelhead...I'd have to say I'd really miss those little kids.

Enjoy every minute of the anticipated short season we get up north this year!

8. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    Yeah, I see a mutual pal.

I promote vascectomies for all. It's a mission.

I love my girls but I'll let everyone know the truth abut children when given a chance. It seems most people high grade their memories. Good luck with yours.

Go Sox,
    cds

9. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

Charles, I am with you. Steelheading comes second to my kids and my wife's sanity. However, between the amount of time I spend working and other outside activities, I take and relish every minute I have on the water. Fall and winter are usually, and I stress usually my slow times at work, so I try and get out as much as feasibly possible. This year I have tried to wrap my head around the theory of not being first on the water and try and enjoy dropping my daughter off at school or being home early enough to give the boy a bath and just what ever time I get fishing.

I can't say it is ideal, but it has gotten better as they get older. I am with you, I don't know if my daughter or even my son will have even a slight interest in steelhead fishing. I don't know how old your kids are, but I grin ear to ear every time I do get out fishing and they meet me at the door, stoked that I am home. First question out of their mouth is "daddy did you catch any fish?" Obviously, they don't fully know winter steelheading.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Charles,

We do high grade our memories. I sat through more violin recitals than I can imagine, and hauled kids to soccer games on fall weekends that were perfect for dryside steelheading. Yet I did still fish, so I guess what I remember is a balanced life that was multi-dimensional. And altho it doesn't seem like it when the little rug rats are in diapers, they do grow up amazingly fast, and you have time to go fishing that you thought you'd never see again.

Sg

11. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    Salmo,

You are nothing if not honest. It's about balance. I have struck a good balance in my life overall. Generally, family (parents, grandparents) does not provide a balanced look at parenthood when people make decisions about whether to have children. They tend to skip over the negative aspects of parenthood. I have really appreciated your honesty on the subject, as we've discussed this subject before. It certainly has helped me find a balance.

I'm fishing tomorrow.

Go Sox,
    cds

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

People make decisions about having children? kidding. I had always assumed I would have a family - just cuz. Funny thing is, I began to think that not having children could actually be an option, just a couple months before my wife got pregnant. So much for that novel idea. My life has mostly involved bumping from one accident to another until a little over 10 years ago. I'm amazed things have gone so well.

New line should arrive tomorrow, probably while you're fishing.

Sg

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

You guys are pathetic. I spent the first 2/3 of my adult life riding Harleys, chasing high dollar construction jobs, loose women & drugs, not all in that order. Steelheading? Yeah I did that also. Sometime in my forties I met a gal that had a couple of kids by some other loser. In a moment of moral confusion I ask her to marry me. Instant family just add daddy. Got her kids raised and out of the house. Now have grand kids showing up. I have seen this crap from both sides totally unbalanced.

14. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

I buy ground coffee for fishing days.

15. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

What started as a funny thread has evolved into one of my alltime favorites.

The inherent paradox - prioritizing a cute face and nice ass is great for making babies, but maybe not as good for the extended responsibilities of marriage and baby-raising.

Lucky me - my mom warned me not to get married till I was out of college. By then I was a golfing and fishing bum and safe till my 40s.

Then in a moment of weakness I followed Kerry's "path" (only inherited 1, and she hasn't spawned yet).

My .02 - the more you NEED kids, the more willing you are to forsake your own hobbies to raise them.

Brian