Have You Ever Caught the Same Fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Picses, Jul 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wilderness Made

Wilderness Made Member

Home Page:
    I caught the same fish 3x in a row recently. It was a stocked trout in a local lake and was obviously not the brightest. Unfortunately about 5 min after the third time (literally three casts in a row) i saw the fish starting to float belly up. A few minutes later an eagle came and picked it up.

camtheflyman and A.A. like this.
  2. billp

billp Active Member

Yes. Have caught the same trout, salmon, and steelhead,.......multiple times over with certain big bull trout in a certain river.

Will spare you the details of all instances but one, in which the same steelhead was caught on THE SAME CAST......kinda. You can believe it or not, but here is the story:

30 some years ago drifting corkies. It wasn't actually my fish, it was my fathers. Fish was fought for 5 minutes or so getting close to being landed with just maybe 5' or so of line out at this point to the slinky and another few feet of leader. Fish comes off, gear flies behind and gear is immediately flicked back out so as to not get hung up on crap behind.

That corky didn't sit there on top of the water for more than 2 seconds and a fish exactly the same 5-6lb size, same color/brightness, with a clipped fin just like the one lost absolutely slammed it topwater. Fish was flossed just outside the mouth and landed in a couple of minutes.

I have always had a hard time with what exactly happened. It is easier to believe that it was a following fish, or just another fish came up and hit that topwater. All the other likenesses, and the fact it seemed relatively tired were just coincidence. Its of course either that, or the more improbable, yet apparent thing happened. That fish came unbuttoned, turned around, and slammed the corky again.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  3. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Now that I think about it, this has happened to me quite a bit. Last summer while stalking a pod of carp on Lake Michigan, a tanker 5lb smallmouth came out of nowhere to take my crayfish imitation. After the release I noticed it went back to a bed. The carp were still hanging around so I threw another cast well ahead of one and the smallie charged again. Now that I knew it was a spawner I gave it some slack and the hook popped out.

Had an incidental bull trout catch that came after a small cutt which took my EHC. A week later a friend fished the same hole and had the same exact thing happen. We both had photos to verify it was the same fish.

Back when I was in Atlanta I hooked into a hefty rainbow in the Hooch in a small pocket behind a log jam. After a couple big leaps it went straight for the logs and it was all over. I was bummed... The next week I hit the same spot and hooked another big rainbow. This time I prevailed and didn't let it back in the logs. The fish was easily 18", and since I hadn't seen another in this section over 14" (all plants) I concluded it was the same fish. Redemption!

Makes you wonder when you see fish in popular CnR waters that have really jacked up mouths...just how many times have they been caught.

4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I assume it happens all the time but we don't know because the fish don't have the distinguishing marks necessary to identify them. On the days I'm really dialed in I wonder about some of the fish I catch later in the day in the same area that don't quite fight the same.

golfman44 likes this.
  5. generic

generic Justified

Yes, three (trout) and on three different trips (two steelhead, one salmon), my buddy caught a steelies that I had just caught 10-15 minutes previous.

One of those steelhead was a hatchery too small for my liking, and he had none thus far, so he kept it on the second "catching ".

The trout were smaller cutties about 14 and 16"s, and were in smaller high mountain streams. Pretty hungry fish.

*** But here's one for the ages:***

When I was a little kid, bait fishing on opening day, I got a bite - then nothing. The boat next to us got a bite, and started reeling in the fish.

Yep... we had the same fish on. It was a nice plump trout (one of the bigger ones for that day), but it was closer to his boat, so they just cut my line and took it.

A.A. and Buzzy like this.
  6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I have a 20" brown trout friend. He lives below a culvert on a small spring creek close to town. Last year, I had him on, but was using 6x, not anticipating fighting a monster trout. This year, I came at him with a streamer and 1x. He went airborne and my fly went in the bushes. I'll get back to him next year.

7. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

This doesn't count as catching the same fish twice. One nice spring day I was fishing RF creek drifting a larva lace worm like "fly" under a corkie style indicator. A trout decided he liked the offering and took. I set and broke the fish off (probably a wind knot). The next day I'm back at the creek and see this indicator moving across the surface of the same section of the creek. I made a cast, hooked the leaded below the corkie and reeled in the trout. Salvaged my worm like fly and corky. So: I didn't catch the fish twice, just broke it off on Monday and landed it on Tuesday. Dang, ruined another thread.

A.A., jwg, Irafly and 2 others like this.
  8. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Same fish twice on one cast.

I had a double nymph rig and the fish BROKE the hook on the upper one. But, I still landed him because he had also taken the lower one and managed to tangle it above the upper. Took me awhile to figure out what happened when I looked into the net.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  9. generic

generic Justified

That's even better!

10. generic

generic Justified

I've actually done this twice, which is why I only fish one fly anymore.

Fish took top water fly, had on for a few seconds...the "pause" from coming unbuttoned, then bottom fly snagged fish (1) right at adipose fin, the other at the base of the tail.

Healthy fish in the upper teens, are hard to bring to hand when snagged like that on a wimpy 4wt.

11. erniemx5

erniemx5 Active Member

Few years ago was fishing with a friend who was a jelly worm guy. He hooked and broke off a redfish that took a rattletrap. About 5 minutes later I hooked a red on a Clouser. As I got him close to the kayak started hearing a weird noise. Turned out to be my buddy's rattletrap down this reds throat. Took the rattletrap out and released the red. Swapped the rattletrap for a beer.

Irafly, Buzzy, Dewayne and 1 other person like this.
  12. bk paige

bk paige Wishin I was on the Sauk

Yes, Bull trout on the Sauk, released fish pulled line back off cast back out where I was casting too and hooked the same fish(still bleeding slightly) with back to back casts.

13. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Donut hole on the Cedar, went back a week or so later, some tubers floated by, set a cast shortly after them, there was Homer Simpson looking for his donut again...

14. River Pig

River Pig Active Member

Home Page:
    Seems like everyone has, but I once caught the same possum three times... Who can top that?

15. tallguy

tallguy Active Member

Can't top the possum, but I used to headhunt large brown trout on the truckee river. The same fish would use the same lie year after year. Got at least distinctive one three years in a row in the same spot at around the same time of year, over 26" the last time I saw him, and caught many two years in a row or several times a year. Old friends after awhile. They seemed to grow about 3" per year when they are up in the 20s.