Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Have you seen him?

NFR 
3K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  SpudFly 
#1 ·
So last night I came across the show finding Bigfoot while eating dinner and they had a segment where they held a meeting for people to tell stories of their so called "encounters". Some sounded crazy but others were pretty intriguing so my question is have any of you seen/ heard the thing?

Ps: this is my first post thanks for letting me ruin your forum lol

#11 · (Edited)
I had a little run in once. I was coyote hunting with my Dad in NV near the California border. After a few minutes of e-calling a loud guttural roar came from the distance. After another set of using the e-collar, we heard it again. After the roars, we noticed that all of the deer, birds, everything had cleared out of the country. Sent chills up my neck and we took the hint and left about 10 more minutes.

Welcome!

#18 ·
Interesting, I've been hunting/fishing in pretty remote areas my whole life and have never had any type of experience I'd call Bigfoot related but hearing these stories make me want to start paying a little closer attention to the things around me when I'm in a wild area. Who knows if the thing is real but the hundreds of sightings each year and the native Americans passing stories down gotta have something to it.

#24 ·
Myself? No. I've never seen or heard anything I couldn't explain. But I don't hunt so I'm not out in remote areas much.

Unlike two different people I know who have had experiences which are extremely difficult to explain. At least without resorting to some very elaborate hoaxing attempts. Hearing those accounts from intelligent, experienced outdoors men was enough to pique my interest in the subject beyond a source of humor. While there's still plenty to chuckle about, let's just say there's a bit more to it than bored ******** stomping around on carved plywood feet. One thing is clear though. It's not a question of whether Bigfoot is "real", it's a question of whether Bigfoot is extinct.

Gigantopithecus

I'll have to see one with my own eyes, but I doubt the guys I know laugh much at Messin' with Sasquatch Commercials.

#27 ·
Lat year I was camping in the wilds near Bumping lake. Middle of the night (probably 2 am or so) something called/screamed VERY loudly from a distance. Whatever it was made the same loud call/scream about 6 times. It was followed by about 2 more similar calls close by where I was camping. It was loud, very loud, enough to wake up me, the GF and the dog (Jasper) who proceeded to find his way out of the tent to confront the "creature". When I got home I looked around on the webs for a similar sounding animal but turned up no real results. What strikes me the most is how quick Jasper was to react and unzip himself from the tent. How the fuck does he know how to do that?! I have only witnessed him do this once before and he meant business that time too though I never heard any disturbance, obviously he did. Not sure what it was but it's still a mystery to me...

#43 ·
Wow, I'm actually a bit disappointed it took 3 pages for the first Nessie joke (good one BTW). Not that I take exception, but my buddies might, and this is exactly why I may be the only person outside their families that have heard their stories. In the admittedly unlikely event a BF like creature such as Gigantopithecus is surviving today. I think the best protection it could have is the ridicule applied to anyone foolish enough to claim seeing it.

My friends aren't idiots, flakes, crazies, etc... quite the opposite in fact. I know these guys and they aren't lying about their experiences. The only reason they even told me is because I'm reasonably open minded and they knew I wouldn't "out them" or make them feel stupid (other than some light ribbing). There's no way in hell these guys would go public with their stories.

That begs the question about the character of the people who do. If I had to guess, I'd say not having a reputation to protect adds more fodder for beef jerky commercials than information leading towards an explanation. And trust me, those who have had experiences want answers. The level of hoaxing required to explain both of my buddies experiences is so extreme, I find that almost as fascinating as BF being real. And as a tech hardware guy, possibly more so.

#44 ·
That's the one I find the hardest to explain. There have been some purported shootings, even one alleged recording of one "moaning" after being shot at. To make that reasoning "flawless" however, you must specify that some idiot shot one, and killed it before it killed him. Therefore surviving to provide the proof. Imagine the repercussions of wounding a 400 lb silver back gorilla with a poorly placed, or insufficient caliber round. Then imagine a gorilla twice as big. I envision body parts flying in several directions.

#34 · (Edited)
I have spent countless hours in remote regions in my lifetime & have had no "near-Squatch" experiences, seen tracks, heard screams, wood-knocking, had anything throw rocks in my direction, experienced unexplainable "musky odors," or witnessed any other typically-reported bigfoot phenomena. I have been in areas where it became dead-quiet on occasion, but have always attributed it to the presence of a known predator, to my own presence, or just a dead area in the woods but on the other hand I've always been very comfortable in the outdoors (as opposed to big cities, lol.). I have found the fairly-intact remains of other more abundant larger critters (deer & elk) in the woods a time or two, but never a bear's remains. Shortly after high school, 3 of us went deer hunting; one of my friends bagged a nice buck that day & since it was a 2 deer area, "Charlie" went back with us the next day. When we returned to the old Jeep wagon we had travelled in, he was in the back of the rig visibly shaken/downright scared. He claimed he had seen something "big, dark-colored & man-like" hunched over the gut-pile from his previous kill on a steep Montana hillside. It looked at him and then strode up the hill effortlessly. Scattered 6' tall trees in the area at the time made the thing ~7' tall per Charlie's description. We found zero sign when my other buddy & I investigated, but the gut pile had been disturbed - by what is anyone's guess. As far as I know, "Charlie" has never returned to that area; he flat refused to hunt there with us ever again. I believe he saw "something" but don't know what that "something" may have been. There was another similar report by an older, respected & seasoned outdoorsman from within 60 miles a few years later & another report by a Boy Scout group that supposedly had a camp "visitor.". A former coworker out here claimed he & his then GF/now wife heard screams while camped at a remote, hike-in lake in northern Idaho a number of years ago. He has returned to the area several times since then with no repeat occurrences, but he said that the initial event was somewhat unnerving, wasn't a big cat and his wife has had no desire to visit that place ever again. Personally, I think it would be awesome if such a creature/creatures existed, but I do find it hard to believe that no one has ever shot one/hit one with a vehicle/taken an uncontested, "un-blurry" photo over the years. As previously stated, bones & carcasses disappear rapidly in the outdoors. I reckon that I'll remain somewhat open to speculation & respect the experiences of acquaintances/"some" others, but won't be a believer until such time that conclusive & tangible verified evidence is found & confirmed or I stumble across that "something" that I can't explain first-hand. Who knows?

#35 ·
At one time I believe they could theoretically have existed but it seems highly unlikely now. Think how stealthy cougars are, and yet we still see and photograph them. So this thing is bigger than a bear and quieter than a cougar? Show me another primate that moves very quietly through the woods.
Then there's the issue of minimum population density. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_population
It would take several hundred sasquatch (sasquatches?) in an area small enough that they can all interact to keep a healthy, viable population for more than a few generations. So not only are these things out there, there are hundreds of them in an area the size of western Wa or the northern Rockies and no loggers have ever hit one on an early morning run or cougar hunters have never treed one with their dogs.
I still watch all the shows and read the sasquatch books though. This one is really good, http://www.amazon.com/Where-Bigfoot-Walks-Crossing-Divide/dp/0395857015
The guy lives on Grays River and got a Guggenheim Fellowship to write the book.

#37 ·
It is legal in Texas to kill one if you find it. But I think they should be protected, being as rare as they are and all. Maybe we should shut all the areas down where they have ever been heard/spotted, you know just in case.

#39 ·
Haven't had any experiences myself, but that doesn't mean much.

My wife used to spend a lot of time hunting and fishing around Spirit Lake, back before St. Helen blew her top. She tells me that it wasn't uncommon to hear (what she calls) sasquatch screaming and throwing boulders down the mountain side.

#41 ·
I have had a couple unexplainable experiences. Both in the 90's. First I must have been 6 or 7 out near sugar loaf mountian around celec. My mom and her friends took there horse on a trail ride and they dropped me at a little pond to fish while they went up the mountian. After an hour or so an overwhelming stench hit me. Didn't hear or see anything but it was strong. I was scared shitless. The smell lingered for about twenty minutes. I stopped fishing and climbed a stump that was cut high. I sat up there where I could see everything until my mom got back.

The second time was in HS. Same area about ten miles south. A couple of buddies and I were out screwing of on the top of this huge clear cut. We heard something that was very hard to explain. Soft with a similar cadence to grouse but very load and accompanied with a similar stench to the first incident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.