Heart- do you keep it, and what is your preferred way to prepare it?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Troutrageous, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Hopefully at some point during the next 9 days I will have a deer heart that needs cooked (or hopefully an elk heart in a few weeks), so I just wondered how some of you prepare it. I cut the heart into very small chunks last year with mexican seasoning and mixed into burrito filler with some beans- it was good, but I'd like to try something else this year.

I don't think I'll be keeping the liver, but if any of you have a good enough suggestion for prepping it I might be convinced otherwise.

Good luck to everyone deer hunting, be safe tomorrow.

2. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Troutrageous,

I most definitely would keep it but, I always have it would be my preference and opinion. last season my wife put the heart and liver in the crock pot with a mushroom gravy it was delicious. My mother would soak it over night in cold water and some salt and then pressure cook it and it is very good thin sliced the Heart that is. I like the liver also again my opinion and preference. Goodluck and be safe !

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

I love deer and elk heart, liver, kidneys.

Slice the heart ( cross cut not length wise) into 1/2 inch pieces. Dip in beaten eggs then flour, bread crumbs, crushed ritz or whatever you like. Fry in olive oil or even better bacon grease about 5 minutes a side med heat. Take out of pan. Thin slice and onion and crush a clove of garlic. I sometimes add some mushrooms too. You can also add 1/4 cup of brandy or cognac. Saute slowly. In the meantime make a gravy with flour or milk and water slurry. When onion is translucent then add back in the sliced heart. Cook on slow heat for 20-30 minutes or throw in oven and cook for same time at 325-350 for 1/2 hour.

Rice, squash, potatoes as a side.

4. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

I usually throw it in with the scrap for sausage or ground. Sometimes I will slice it up and use it in stew. You could stuff it with wild rice, cashews or almonds and chantrelles, drape it in bacon and roast it. Good luck and let us know how you do. Be careful out there.

Eric

5. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Heart? Yes...thin slice very fresh heart, salt and pepper, hot cast iron pan, olive oil. Sear very fast, easy to overcook...and eat with red wine or a big IPA. Crusty roll if you must. Tastes real good just as you load up that pack to tote out the rest of the meat, even better when you just get done.

Liver: yes...2 ways: grind and incorporate into dog bone recipe, or thin slice and jerk unseasoned for dog treats. Your dog will like them very much.

6. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

That's a great idea. Thanks.

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Liver and onions, heart and onions
    Thin slice, floured fry in olive oil hot and fast.
    Stir fry onions and garlic, in butter and a splash of white wine.

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Here is a link to peroski recipe's. My mother use to fix it with ground heart and lung. Much better than the ground beef in most recipe's.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fried+peroski+recipe+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

Just be sure to run the heart and lung through a meat grinder or have the butcher do it for you. You do want it fine textured.

9. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The heart certainly was delicious. I cooked some bacon, then sauteed some onion and mushrooms, then fried potato slices in the bacon grease, and finally dusted and fried thinly sliced heart.

Mixed it all up- Fried potatoes with sauteed onions and mushrooms, bacon bits, and sliced deer heart, seasoned with lots of garlic and black pepper. Splash of hot sauce and it was great. Going to taste just as good tomorrow morning too!

10. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

11. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Most excellent. I hope I get the chance again someday.