Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Heated Flexcote

Rod Building 
660 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 ·
Just repaired a guide for a friend of mine who broke one off last week. It's been a number of years since I've had my rod wrapping bench out. I noted the hardener on the FlexCote had crystalized about half the volume and the resin had turned a more yellow color than normal. I debated running up to Sportco to pick up a fresh package, but it was only one guide and figured it did not work, I could just redo.

I heated the hardener up in the microwave (very briefly) and then shook it enough until it was once again completely liquid. I also mixed more volume, equal parts A and B, then needed, but my experience with this stuff has been not to try and be too skimpy.

Because it was slightly warm, it kicked off quickly, but I had more than enough time for the one wrap. And speaking of wraps... it came back to me as if I had just done some yesterday... seems rod building skills are much like riding a bike :).

Anyway, don't be hesitant to put your hardener in the microwave or a pot of warm water to re-liquefy... works fine. If you do use the microwave, remember to remove the cap and only do 5-10 seconds.

#2 ·
I had some older Flex Coat Lite laying around that was old. The part B hardener appeared more yellow. I read about it working well if you microwave it. I did that, mixed some up and it looked yellow to me so I let it sit and harden, not using it. It harden nicely, but had a little bit of a yellow hue to it, so ended up buying some new stuff for my last rod. For one guide I would have used it though.

Wayne

#3 ·
Sure enough about the color...the rest in the cup definitely had a yellow tint when completely cured -- not like the usual gin clear color. Because this was a repair on an older dark green blank with dark green thread, I opted to give it a try. The finished result looked very good and I saw no yellow hue... even out in the sun.

totally agree with you that, if I were building a brand new rod or doing a full guide strip/re-wrap, I would definitely get fresh FlexCote.

#4 ·
Re heating: I've done it both ways. One time, despite a short time setting, I melted the plastic bottle, with a resulting mess you can imagine. Heating it in water on a stovetop is safer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.