Heddon bamboo rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Lue Taylor, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Can someone help me out in what Line weight of this rod
    ; Heddon #17 8 1/2 - 2 1/2 F HCH or D all help appreciated thanks in advance

2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

HCH = 7 wt.double taper

HDH = 6 wt.double taper

Try both lines and see which feels better with that rod.
    Heddon made some very nice tapers and that 8-1/2 is probably a nice casting rod. They made different grades from a #8 up to #50, but the tapers were all consistent throughout all the different grades. The ""2 1/2" was Heddon's ferrule size designation.

Is the" Heddon" handwriting straight along the shaft of the rod, or does it "spiral" around several of the flats? This can help determine the age of the rod.

3. Lue Taylor

006.JPG 006.JPG
    Spiral around

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  4. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

I've also thrown a wf-7 on that rod. The 8'6" Heddons are superb fishing rods. The tapers are as good as anything ever made. The 2 1/2-f is a great rod for throwing streamers at bass and big trout, or for chucking big bushy dries (think salmonfly hatch...) Like Greg said, try a couple lines and see what you like.

The varnish looks pretty rough in those pictures. If you intend to fish this, it might be worth having it cleaned up and re-dipped to protect the cane. Just a thought.

5. Lue Taylor

Thanks all for the info

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Lue,
    The wraps and the reel seat lead me to believe your rod may be a "Black Beauty" model.

Tom Bowden likes this.
  7. Idaho steel

It is a "black beauty." A # 17... This one was built sometime between 1939 and 1956.

8. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

I once read that the #17 "Black Beauty" was the starting point for Heddon's higher quality rods, i.e. higher priced models sold in sporting good stores rather than hardware stores. The taper designs were consistent across the entire product line, but taper accuracy, cane quality, number of guides and placement, etc... improves quite a bit on the higher numbered models.

Tom

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Idaho steel

The #17 was certainly their best seller. The #20 was the starting point for the individually made rods. The quality of the rods sold under other labels varied quite a bit depending in who they were built for. I've seen some #35 rods sold under other labels... The #115 sold only through Sears was (I believe) the same as a #17 marked Heddon. The #35 is really the starting point for "top end" Heddons, the major difference being ferrule design, the 2-F ferrule size being notorious for breaking in the grades below #35.

You are correct however, that quality and consistence improves on the higher numbered models.

10. Lue Taylor

Went to test drive that rod this weekend the reel seat is a 180 degrees out and yes it's fixed did not slip I wonder who was fishing with it like that

11. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

That can be fixed. I've removed and replaced a few reel seats. You do have to be careful with my method not to burn your seat and I bet a lot of wiser folks would not do this, but I heat the seat with a heat gun and keep trying to twist it until the glue finally starts to break down. The trick is to avoid blasting the seat for too long with the heat to the point of burning the wood or plastic insert. If it's all metal it is less risky. Once it comes off clean out the inner part of the seat, apply new glue (I use 2-part epoxy) and glue it back on. You might get away with simply turning the seat back 180 degrees once it comes loose and then let the glue re-harden. Might work, I'd give it a try.

12. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

I agree that heat will soften many of the glues used to hold reel seats but you need to proceed with caution. The Heddon Tenite reel seats are easily damaged and very easy to damage with heat. They will warp and or crack.
    Good luck,

13. Lue Taylor

Thanks para_ adams

14. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

How many guides are on the base section? Are you sure that someone might not have mounted a new stripper guide on the wrong flat? Heck if I were working on the rod I might consider just remounting the guides on the correct flat for a easier and less risky solution.

Mike

15. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

I agree with Mike that repositioning guides would be easier and less risky than moving the reel seat. An additional benefit would be replacing the stripping guide with a modern #8 or #10. Old rods typically had small guides to accommodate silk lines, and larger guides can improve casting modern lines. With black wraps, it should be easy to replicate the color.

Tom