Help A newbie Please !

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flyrookie, Apr 5, 2009.

1. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Hello To All,

I am brand new to this site and also A rookie Fly fisherman,I will be visiting the olympic area in June/July going to be out there for about a week.Have visited the area before and have done some fishing in Lake Cresant & The elwah river...

At Cresant we used a fly set up on a spinning outfit 2500 series reels and 4 lb test and light rods 4-10 test,Used the bobber technique with a 2 lb leader about five feet long and did ok with some general flies that we just chose randomly...

Those who are familiar with this lake and the trout that are in there (Beardsley's) would you suggest any other set up that will brings us better luck..We don't have fly fishing rod set up's and don't know how to ..So we will stick with the spinning set up ..We fish from the shore as well...

Would anybody suggest anything differant or specific in the areas's of our set up's or fly choices...And Location during that time of year ?

Thanks in advance for any help....

Steve

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
  3. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Any more elaboration then That !

Thank you for all your time JIM...

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

5. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

I am fishing a spinning set up 2 lb mono and a clear float with 5 foot leader..And body fish Lake cresant with much success and a better set it up in mind ? Any leads as to what kind of flies to use ?

Thanks for any info and thanks for your patients.... :)

P. S. Just noticed link ,Thanks Mumbles

6. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    by :rofl: I mean dude from sandiego leave the fish in crescent lake the fuck alone you have no idea their history and genetic significance - they are more important than you.

7. Connor Parrish

Connor Parrish Member

get a cheap fly set up. its not hard to find one. my first set up was cheap and i used it for years when i was younger. dont use the bubble fly thing..... that is just...... point less

8. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Hey Jim, maybe post a link with some of the info about the lake/trout, instead of being a dick... this little blurb is interesting
    http://www.washingtontrout.org/crescent.shtml

-I can't think of a stronger motivation to go fish a place than some jackass telling me to stay the fuck away from it.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

:D

Attached Files:

10. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Fine, from now on I'll be more accommodating of spin fishers coming onto this fly fishing site looking for advice targeting unique subspecies of wild trout.

Huh?!?!? I'd rather be a dick on this one, that was the further elaboration he requested. Sue me.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

FDC, nice photo of a very placid Crescent Lake. This one was taken on our return trip from the Hoh where a few little risers (probably cutts) could be seen near the edges of the lake in the shade.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Welcome aboard flyrookie. I would change my handle to something like "CA trout slayer" or "CA C&Rer" then you would not get jackass replys to ?
    Always tough to ask ? about how to's and where for.
    Fly fishing with a spin outfit is not fly fishing.
    I've heard there are some fine mountain lakes and streams in Southern CA and the salt water has got to be killer.
    Always practice C&R when fishing Washington waters and welcome again.

13. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

I agree that he shouldn't get a damn bit of info. but maybe your approach was a touch strong Jim. :)

14. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Defiantley Ditto... What He said (Troutrageous)

But would never do it out of retaliation..Obveiously Jim's passionate about those trout ..But Jim could do it in a more effective & constructive manor....

CONNER PARISH:

Thanks for an Idea ...I'll check into it but am on a really tight budget only come out here once a year but will check into it thanks for the info....

ITSSTILLGREEN:

I am not sure why but respect that...

Thanks...

15. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Thanks Bro...

I understand to some degree..I am a part of a site in S.D. where new comers come board wanting holes and such but there just innocent people not knowing the eticutt..But we try to walk them through it.. ANd teach them the ropes for some success..We all practise C&P&R or most ..But then again you have the people that have there opinions and go way over board..Just saying...

Yes we have some of the most deverse fishing around..Most of my fishing right now is in the Surf and bays Halibut,Spotted bay Bass,Barred Surf perch,Walleyed surf perch,Corbina,Corvina...All fun stuff and some very good fishing on days...

Thanks For the welcome much appreciated.... :thumb: