Help a noob out?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TheNoob, Apr 19, 2014.

1. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Hey guys.. So I've lived in Vancouver area for the last two years.. And I miss fishing!
    I come from northwest Montana, and used to fish flathead lake, north fork, south fork, lake Blaine, Ashley lake, and the list goes on. But I miss it! I caught some nice fish back there but never really fly fished. It was always trolling or jigging or ice fishing.
    Well I bought myself a fly rod last year and only been out a couples times to daybreak with no luck. Caught one, and that was it. I'm no experienced fly fisher but I know how to fish.
    I'm just asking for Maybe a point in the right direction to where I can find information on the steelhead fishing here. Like where can I go? What times of the year?
    And if anyone would be willing to take out a noob fly fisherman.. Let me know, I would love to go on a fishing trip with people that know that place around here.
    Thanks guys.

2. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Honestly your best bet is to find a local fly shop and if there is multiple find the one you most like and start BSing with the guys and gain a good rapport. My mom use to drop me off at kauffman's in Bellevue when I was around 14 and without that help and knowledge I wouldn't be where I am now as a fisherman. You will gain invaluable local knowledge that otherwise might take you years to figure out. Who knows you might gain a fishing buddy or learn about less known waters. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

3. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Active Member

Hit the cowlitz; is your best bet.. Look for mike at lost creek fly shop; he's the man..

4. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Wow thanks for the info guys. That's what I did growing up, I hung out at fishing stores and learned a lot as well as got a fishing buddy!
    The cowlitz, is there a specific place or anywhere on the river will be good(obviously reading the current and such)?

5. http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=109413&src=froogle&gclid=CJyZ8szv9b0CFZFcfgod8XEATg

pick up one of these, and get on google maps and research. People will be more willing to share spots with you once you know them personally. You will be hard pressed to find freebees over the interwebz, there is some pretty cool people on here with knowledge, but there is even more E-swingers that paddle there doosh canoe via the space bar stroke.

As mentioned above making friends with your local fly shop will pay huge dividends. Take a guided trip with one of them the knowledge you will learn is ten fold. My last 2 guided trips i asked more questions than a 3 year old, i have also hooked more steelhead after those 2 outings than ever before.

If you ever up by the skykomish let me know i would be happy to row you for a day as long as you at least know how to tie your own knots and cast further than 10 feet

DanielOcean likes this.
  6. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Wow thank you for all of this information. This is already more then I have learned in the last year! It looks like I'll have something to do this weekend. Thanks Evan, I'll hit you up on that offer if I ever come up there.
    Thanks everyone for pitching in an helping me get started on my way.

7. ken c.

ken c. New Member

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. Been here 10 yrs+ though. I'm used to fishing in British Columbia stillwaters but I'm looking to venture out into the nearby rivers. Even heading out for an hour or so in the evenings. (daybreak /lewisville) Let me know if you want company while learning the area and tactics.

8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The Deschutes in OR is within easy range and would be on my 'A' list as a Vancouver resident. This time next month starts the salmon fly madness.

9. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

I'm actually going out to daybreak right now to give it a try. I have a Feeling it's going to be pointless but I wanna be out in the water.
    Wish me luck.

10. Chedster

Chedster Member

EFL can be a tough SOB at times but it's got some decent water if you know where to look and your heading in the right direction. Fish the Cowlitz this summer and you'll get a summer steelhead sooner or later. I fish the Cowlitz, EFL, Sandy, and Deschutes pretty regular.

11. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I live in Camas and you could go with me sometime if you can do midweek. I usually go in the afternoon for a few hours 2-3 times a week.