(Help) Getting Skunked around seattle and I don't have a boat

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Rory Tollefsen, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Yummm... Slimy humped out Humpies.

2. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Rory,
    If you still want to catch fish in Puget Sound, here is my advice. Pick one good beach and hammer it until you know it. Fish it on the rising tide, the falling tide and in different weather conditions. Fish it throughout the tide -- beaches change and fish move as water levels go up or down -- and keep moving. Look for rips, standing waves and shellfish beds. When you get tired of casting, sit down and watch the water.
    If you do this, you will get to know that beach -- and some of the many foibles of sea-run cutthroat trout. You will also catch some fish.
    In any case, fishing Puget Sound means you're always having to learn something new. That's what makes it so cool.
    Good luck!

3. Rory Tollefsen

Rory Tollefsen New Member

Thanks I'll keep at it. Gonna keep hitting the rivers for a bit thought. Thanks for the advice.

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Aw, Chester, you've given away the secret. I mean who would ever think about sitting and watching the water? I thought I was the only one that was into that. Hitting the same beach over and over during different tidal stages and flows, becoming intimate with that specific beach: who would have thought of that? Trying different fly patterns, switching from floating to sinking lines and back again, varying the retrieve, jeez, I'm getting tired thinking about all of the variables involved in fishing from the beach for SRC's. :thumb:

Rory: Persistence and patience; cast it and they will bite (eventually). I went through the same issues and have only been at this for six months. Now I'm working on the next variable: time of year. Thank goodness for Les Johnson's book and the search function and discussion on this forum.

And guess what's next? CHUMS. Wrestle Mania with a fish. Can't wait.

5. fisher

fisher Member

Rory,

I was in the exact same position as you. I grew up in Wyoming, began fly fishing at 10 years old, moved out here in my 20's, and it took me forever to catch a fish out here. In my opinion, you just have to keep at it. Last year I caught two silvers on the beach, the first ones I have ever caught, and I didn't do anything different than I have been doing before. Just keep at it.

6. Rory Tollefsen

Rory Tollefsen New Member

More fish. Not sure what the one that's not a pink is though. It was 22" or so. Can anyone tell from the pictures?

7. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

Congratulation Rory,

IMO they all look like pinks, but I could stand to be corrected. Anyway it is always good to feel the tug on the line.

SRC's will ususally show the cut once in freshwater although the middle picture is hard to tell.

Tight Loops and lines!