HELP! MALFUNCTION!

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Nate Dutton, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Hey Guys, well i have built 4 or 5 rods and love doing it! Everything has been going smoothly until i decide to build a friend as spey for a wedding present. The build was going fine until i epoxied the two tops sections. The epoxying went well but the drying did not. I usually do not try to dry my rods over nice because i like to check in on them but this one i had no choice. One of my rubberbands that hold the rod in place broke so there was not enough tension for the rod to be turned by the dryer, thus the rod settles guides down and the epoxy all ran to that side and made huge lumps. how can i fix this? I have never had to mess with epoxy that has already set. Thanks for any advice and or fixes. BTW it is a sweet looking rod, batson blank 13 6 7/8 blue with metallic blue wraps! Will post pics when fixed.

2. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Obviously, no matter what, you will have to re-coat the threads. You can try slicing off the sag by using a sharp razor blade as close to the threads as possible. then apply another thin coat over the top. Dont go at it like your chopping wood, try slicing off thin portions at a time. This practice is very common when you double coat with thin layers, and have to shave off a peice of lint, or thread fuzz. However if you hit the thread and cut it, you may have to re-thread it as well.

Without actually seeing the sag, I can't even say for sure something like this would even work. If not, you might have to strip the whole rod and start over...

Good luck.

3. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

I had this same thing happen to me. You have to give the epoxy enough time to set before you try and fix it. I used a small file and just ground away staying away from the thread. It does not matter how you take the epoxy off with razor or file the key IS TO STAY AWAY FROM THE THREAD. Once you feel that you have off what you need to just mix up a batch and coat over it. After you are done filing or slicing you will need to wipe the epoxy down to get all the dust or pieces off of the wrap. If there is any exposed thread make sure that you don't scrub the metallic or you run the risk of taking off the color.

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

This happens more than you think. I use a fine sand paper wrapped around a small flat object (think popsicle stick) and just continue to work at it until you are close to the threads. Once you re-epoxy you will never be able to tell.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

From personal experience, I don't think you will like the results of trying to re-work the existing epoxy coating as suggested above. You will not likely achieve the cosmetic looks you want doing so. If it were my rod, I would carefully slice off, remove the wraps/guides, clean up with acetone and start over. Pain in the ass, yes... results you'll like yes.

6. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

I agree from my experience it's best to remove and redo

7. MikeStark

MikeStark Member

Nate, when did you move to Alaska? Obviosuly, better fishing than Cheney! :thumb:

8. Nate Dutton

Thanks for all the suggestions, haven't attempted anything yet because my Thesis is getting in the way of useful projects :) But i might try something this weekend. Mike I have been doing 6 months Washington 6 months Alaska for 4 years now and after i finish my masters this Winter it will be Alaska full time for a bit.

9. Nate Dutton

Update- so I sanded down the bumps in the epoxy, started looking cloudy got a little worried. Decided might as well go through the whole process so I recoated wraps. They look great!!! Can't even tell, very excited this worked! I used a fine grit sandpaper and U40 epoxy. Thanks for all the help!

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Next time try mounting the rod in the dryer/turner, place a heat lamp as close to a wrap as possible and let it go for a couple of hours. Most epoxies can be softened enough to "run" back and even out. Although, may be more trouble than it's worth.