NFR Help wanted

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    The Mexican cartels are the worst offenders, ecologically. I would be 100% behind sending in the National Guard and doing a massive "operation green harvest" on any of the grows being done by these Cartels. Take no prisoners. Send the corpses back to Mexico in body bags.

I can't believe that this ecological disaster is being allowed to go on unregulated. California has no soul. None.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  2. Jim Wallace

Its still illegal to grow or traffic in weed here in WA.
    In yesterday's South Beach Bulletin, the local ragsheet, there was a front page article about a bust here in Grayland. The suspect, a Mr. Bisterfelt, age 58, was convicted of manufacturing weed. The Pacific County Sheriff's dept is now contemplating auctioning off Bisterfelt's house, three new go-carts, and a bright yellow 2013 Corvette with only 108 miles on the odometer. They seized his guns and the $42,000 he had stashed, too.
    He wangled a plea deal and got sentenced to 1 year on one count, and 2 years on another, with one year "community custody" with the Dept of Corrections.

Growing weed did not work out too well for that guy! A search warrant was originally issued for investigation of "personal use" after a deputy observed what he thought was Bisterfelt in the act of toking up. That observation was made during the deputy's response to a noise complaint by a neighbor about noise from the go-carts. tch. tch. tch.

3. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

The bust was back in November, before our new law fell into place in December. Growing is still illegal, yes, but a search warrant can no longer be provisioned just for witnessing someone toking up.

Part of legalizing and regulating the new system will be to continue enforcement against the black market. The new "legal" market won't be able to compete with its higher prices against an underground. Legitimate growers will have strict rules to follow set by the liquor control board, and the number of licensed growers will be limited.

4. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

It will be a very interesting transition period. I personally hope Ed Rosenthal or another of the long-standing defenders of cannabis use are given the position. Protect the consumer first, then build the market from there.

I'll come out openly and say medical cannabis has helped transform my life. There has been no other medicine that has helped me to cope and heal in the ways that I have needed. I've been able to function at a level that I otherwise would not have been able to, for prolonged periods of time.

That said, profiteering from cannabis use must be held to a minimum. If other areas of the country are going to buy in, our state needs to set an example for responsible distribution and containment. Too much regulation and taxation, however, can drive users to buying from the black market, and not contributing any tax money from the transactions.

There is a lot of revenue to be generated from legal cannabis, and not just from recreational use. There are a litany of industrial uses for cannabis products as well, from paint strippers to rope, and even as a biofuel or lubricant. The seeds are loaded with nutritional goodness, and provide essential amino acids. It can be said that cannabis is a more beneficial plant than soy, especially considering the medical advantages. Our society stands to gain a lot, in my opinion, from a greater appreciation of the plant.

Nick Clayton, slider292 and Flyborg like this.
  5. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I'm with you on medical cannabis. I worked hard to get my wife off of her legally prescribed opiates that the doctors insisted she take for her migraines. Oxycontin is a devils drug--insanely addictive with horrible side effects. There's a reason heroin use surged after the feds cracked down on oxy use. After a few years of watching her slowly drift away as she took oxy every day, I insisted she quit and got her a medical prescription for marijuana. Not only did it help her beat the oxy addiction, but she's not addicted to the cannabis at all. She can take it only when the migraines are out of control and not have to deal with any fucked up side effects. Now if I could just get her to quit tobacco!

jimmydub likes this.
  6. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

I'm glad your wife is doing better. Opiates are terrible drugs. I have known too many good people dragged down hard by a prescription drug to even begin to give opiates a chance. But it doesn't end with opiates; look at the number of anti-psychotic drugs out there that have catastrophic side effects. The person who convinced me to actually get a medical card had long bouts with severe pain, and was prescribed oxy-this and oxy-that. His wife told him after a long series of surgeries that when he was on them, he became a demon. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with, and I couldn't imagine the SHIT he was going through when he was trying to heal.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I think the job of being the new state pot guru will be a interesting position for the individual qualified to fill it.
    I've been reading and watching news stories regarding how Colorado is controlling cannabis. This won't be a simple task.
    Whoever takes the position has a lot of work cut out for them and I hope they are successful in impementing a statewide plan.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Keeping my eyes peeled for the first good looking IPO...$$$$$$

9. tkww

tkww Member

There's the minor issue that the feds still aren't on board. This has ramifications even beyond getting raided--federally-insured loans, etc. It's going to be interesting as heck to see how the state handles this.

10. ribka

ribka Active Member

They say that this is going to be a billion dollar plus industry. The potential profits And tax revenue are Attracting all types from the political and investment world. Be a fascinating study for social scientists.

Yep be interesting to see all of the political maneuvering, new DUI laws, drug testing at work place, taxed at high rate like tobacco, drug company involvement, Labor and defense attorney involvement, ACLU, black market, home grows, state vs fed issues etc.

Just read an article that large amounts of the Colorado bud is already is showing up in other states.

jimmydub likes this.
  11. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Pretty sure that if you do well at this you should fly through the interview.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Ribka,
    Just curious, how did they determine the weed was from Colorado? In other words, how did they id where weed is from unless folks are getting busted with containers or packaging identifying the source?

I assume like any other consumer product, some will cross state lines once it is purchase.
    I would image folks from from neighboring states will be visiting Washington once things get online here.
    Once other states seeing the potential tax revenues, you'll see more legalize it. The Feds will have a difficult time stopping things once the horse is out of the barn. It will be similar to how prohibition ended.

13. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Really? There have been a TON of invasions and shootings up here in Humboldt lately

14. Jim Wallace

Actually, the original bust for weed was back in Jan 2012, after a history of noise complaints throughout 2011. I agree that IF the noise complaint investigation had happened this year, a warrant couldn't have been issued for investigating personal use of weed on one's own property, and the bust for the grow operation probably would not have happened.
    I wonder if Mr Bisterfelt appreciates the irony of his situation. :confused:

15. Jim Wallace

Cash and stash...guns and money...wild west...why, this is as American as apple pie! Reminds me of old black and white westerns on TV, with cattle rustlers, train robbers, and shoot outs!

Ah yes, the "Treasure of the Sierra Nevada"..."Federales!!! We doan need no stinkin Federales with stinkin badges 'round heah!" Good luck on that!

Its probably time to end the "sittin' on the fence" quasi-legal BS and totally legalize it! Tax the living fuck out of it.
    Tax it every step of the way, every licensed and certified grower and distributor and retail dealer.
    I'll bet that then we could retire the ever-popular "Discover Pass!"

If I was a pot smoker, I'd like to be able to saunter on down to the corner drug store and purchase some certified organic bud that I know is free of chemical fertilizer residues and any insecticides used to kill difficult-to-control and ubiquitous pests such as spider mites. Right now, there is no such assurance, and one gets what one gets.
    I understand that if one has a medical marijuana "green card" that one legally can go get their "medicinal weed" at a licensed medical marijuana outlet. But that does not really address the problems associated with the huge black market in pot that is destined for recreational use.

Travis Bille likes this.