High Dollar vs. Less Dollar Rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Paluch, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Bad example, the Harley will pick up more chics. This however is not true of fly rods.:beer2:

2. Tracker

Tracker Active Member

Concur....that's why I still have the Harley.

Crap, I'm shallow....I hate this thread...I don't want to play no more, I'm taking my toys and I'm going home.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Wrong. It is a good example. The topic is performance value (as a casting instrument or motorcycle) per dollar spent, not about how much money you have to spend to pick up chicks. On that alternate topic, I'd argue that the more you have to spend to pick up chicks, the less effective you are as a man, the less game you've got, and the less attraction you have as a male sex object. But this is getting way off topic.

4. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Touche! I know a lot of old, high dollar gentlemen (Sages so to speak) with very young, image conscious wives. It would seem that their high dollar "rods" worked in attracting a catch that would seemingly be unattainable....

Please, we must stop NOW!

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Tim wakefield costs the Red Sox 4 million per year he has 14 wins. Diusuke Matsuzaka costs 14 million he has 13 wins.

My Forecast 11-6 6/7 cost me under $100.00, With a medalist 1496 1/2 and a line under $200.00. It is the Tim Wakefield of rods. I got exactly what it paid for, but I paid for a much better deal than the best high priced similar rod, even if the high priced rod is better.
    Bang for the buck money is better spent for gas travelling to where the steelhead are than on rods. That is why I choose to use my assets less on rods and more on other facets of fishing.

18 tommorow,
    cds

6. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

I agree with Jason on this!!! Try to nab a hot Bellevue blonde without a mid range BMW, Benz, Mazaratti etc. Not saying it is impossible, but $$$$$$ talks and adds to your overall presentation!

Now the real question is would you rather have a high heeling, red lipstick wearing blonde that will hit the spa while you go fishing or a less money motivated person who will adorn herself in Simms and Fish Pond and be casting next to you! Both I have yet to find, but when I do, yall will be the first to know.

Speaking of baseball, Barry Bonds worth the money or not? Who knows, but he certainly has put up the numbers for the Giants at a premium price!!

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Absolutely. Look no further than Fred Thompson, the presumptive savior of the GOP in the 2008 election.

K

8. LD

LD Active Member

I am a firm believer in buying quality and buying what you want the first time. But I am also a value guy. Cars, bikes, skis, furniture, ect always has a value point. The point where is very little difference of the functionality of what you are buying, but the price goes up for extras, cosmetics, the name, ect. I usually look for that point.

9. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Wow... an entire thread devoted to little more than feelings... Gentlemen, other than to expound upon your feelings, brand loyalty, and amex card balances: what really was the point of this thread? Value is completely subjective to the consumer and has as much or as little to do with the MSRP of the unit sold as the buyer gives it credit for.

Blanket generalizations and assumptions about the fly rod quality, workmanship and value are.....well.... pointless.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Love my original 8'6" 7/8 weight Berkely Cherrywood rod with the red metal reel seat...soft mid flex and I don't think I could break it staring at it :) 17.99 with a Berkely reel mad in China and WF8 line...of course that was 1979. :) And purchased at Pay-N-Pak...remember?

11. Josh

Josh dead in the water

You know what I like better than pointless discussions? Pointless fish photos. After all, a fish photo has just as much chance of settling this silly argument as any post I could make:

[​IMG]

12. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Jason,

Too tired to do the research but I feel quite confident that I can back up my comments with my choice of inexpensive car versus your Lexus. Remember, the discussion is about performance. While you may get what you pay for, you may still get something of a lesser value than what you think you are paying for.

Randy

13. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . wake me up when it's over.

14. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Agreed....pointless discussion.
    I caught just as many fish with my TFO than after I upgraded to a $500 + rod.
    If you can afford the high end stuff....go for it. Just understand it won't put a single more fish in the net than a lesser priced rod. It just makes you feel better thats all.

15. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I've looked past this thread for the past couple of days because this discussion (or a variance of) has been hashed more than a few times. But tonight at work, waiting for a flight to get back, I got bored and came in for a look-see.....yep, it's kindof a pointless thread. The arguments (breakage rates mainly) for the higher dollar rods just aren't sound...and I'm a guy that generally fishes high dollar rods (because I'm 28 and destitutely single, though I've built and fish St. Croix and Rainshadow rods as well), but I don't start threads advertising it.

When you referred to lower priced rods as, "your lower priced rods..." in your first post in a thread about rod prices, the "elitist" alarm went off in my head. Maybe I read that wrong, but I think that's why most of us are disagreeing with you.

Jeff