Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

High gas prices, what is the 'new' best fly fishing/recreating vehicle?

26K views 91 replies 58 participants last post by  IveofIone 
#1 ·
With gas prices at an all-time high (likely to go higher, and who know how high they'll go), is this causing you to look at your fly fishing vehicle differently? If so, why and how? And, if you replaced your vehicle, with what you would you replace it and why? If gas prices aren't making you think of purchasing another vehicle or, if you are already in the market for another vehicle and gas prices and gas mileage aren't a decision factor, why?

I'll use myself as an example. A 4x4 extra cab pickup or even a Suburban has always been a dream rig for me. However, I live in Seattle, and parking garages are part of life. So, larger 4x4's and vehicles have always caused parking challenges. I wouldn't use the truck as a 'truck' that often and I have a 4 year old, so an SUV made sense. I drive a Grand Cherokee with a small V8. It's my everyday vehicle, and is my recreating vehicle, as well. It is easy to park, it's tough, has OK room, maneuvers well in the boonies, great in the snow, and it has good power to pull a reasonably sized boat. However, it's gas mileage isn't the best.

I've been considering replacing it with a quieter rig (it's a little noisy) that gets better gas mileage. Hybrids are an attractive option, but everyone is on that bandwagon now, driving up the prices of the better vehicles (say, a Highlander). And, although they are rated for X towing capacity, that's with the gas and electric motor both in use; the towing numbers don't consider how effectively the electric motor works (which is the power plant in use at low speeds) when pulling a boat/trailer up the loading dock.

So, one of my more viable options might be to maybe 'downsize' to one of the smaller 4x4 SUV's; maybe a Honda CRV, RAV4? Subaru has always seemed a practical alternative, but it seems like folks fall in to two camps, love 'em or just think they're OK. I've been told by some that they average low 20 mpg in their Subaru, while others with the same model say they averaga high teens. Anyone else have comments?

Maybe other options, such as the sport wagons? Like the Volvo XC70? Other car based wagons?

Or, if I want to stay with a SUV that is similar in size to the Jeep but gets a little better gas mileage, maybe a Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, or even their luxury cousins (MDX, etc.)? Jeep offers the Grand Cherkoee in a diesel that gets reasonable gas mileage (I think 20/23 mpg), but they're relatively new and pricey, and the decent mpg is offset by the higher (relatiely) costs of diesel. VW offers an awesome V10 diesel option that offers huge torque and decent gas mileage and the luxury amenities of a Porsche Cayenne, but I'd need to win the lottery to afford one.

A buddy of mine advocates the two rig setup. One rig that is comfortable and gets great mpg for everyday driving, and a beater 4x4 as the recreating vehicle. Of course, that means he's incurring twice the costs for licensing/tabs and insurance as if he just had one vehicle. And, he has to find room to park two rigs at his house.

So, what's a person to do? What are you doing, if anything, and how are the high gas prices affecting your evaluation of a daily use or recreation vehicle?

See less See more
#31 ·
My '97 Outback gets 28 mpg combined highway/city and I pretty much drive it as if I stole it. 4 cylinder 5 speed. Pulls my DB or raft without any problems at all and has handled all the launches on every river around the area. Unless I look in my rear view I don't even know there's a boat back there.

#37 ·
Which engine do you have? What year Outback? A few months ago there was a similar thread, and I think it was Chris Puma who said his Subaru gets 17 mpg . . . I've heard they are in the low 20's, but that's just what I've heard. I presume your 26-32 is on the highway . . . ?

#36 ·
I bought a scooter to fight the price of gas. It's an overseas knock-off but it rides good. I can go 60+ mph and get 80mpg or so. For the price I payed for it it wont be long to make up the purchase with economy. I can even take my wife and ride with her on it too very comfortable 2 seater. It fits around 2 cases of beer under the seat also; just strap the pole on the back and go. Only downside is I can't take the kiddos with me, the law says passengers have to be at least five y/o to ride on a motorcycle.

As for the family vehicle we were economy driven there also. Pontiac Vibe a wagon/suv type thing they call it a crossover vehicle. I didnt get the awd model cuz they get about 24-28mph and we get 30-35 constantly without it and with good snow tires and smart driving we get around pretty good in the winter too.

I do have a car for myself that no one really rides in with me; maybe it's how the car looks. It's a 93 VW Fox that hit a deer in the front once upon a time. When I got it I built a monster bumper for the front out of a motorhome axle and some other tubing; very stylish. The next deer will not be so lucky to damage the car nearly as bad :p. that car also gets 25-32 mpg when you go further than 5 miles at least.

#44 ·
I bought a scooter to fight the price of gas.

When I got it I built a monster bumper for the front out of a motorhome axle and some other tubing; very stylish. The next deer will not be so lucky to damage the car nearly as bad :p. that car also gets 25-32 mpg when you go further than 5 miles at least.
Scooters are fun until your friends see you on one.

I hope your bumber creation does not just flip the next dear into your passenger cabin, less damage to your car, more damage to your person.

#40 ·
I went with the Element. It has full time AWD which reduces the mileage from what you'd expect for a 4 cylinder, however, it's still better than what I'd expect from a larger vehicle. The plus for me is that flexibility of the interior. It's easy to remove or fold the rear seats, the front and back seats fold down and create a good platform which accomodates a full size air mattress. That with the privacy curtain create a nice little mobile hotel room. And it does a great job of towing the drift boat.

#41 ·
I work at a Ford/VW dealership and I see a lot of diesels, hybrids and biofuel...This will probably piss some people off, but biodiesel is crap, what I see here after 50-60k of biodiesel is extremely expensive, fuel heaters destroyed, injector pumps wasted, injectors leaking fuel systems completely destroyed and the lovely smell of french fries......Most biodiesel I have seen is made in someones backyard and not refined(washed) properly, however I feel for these guys, low sulphur diesel that is currently available is also crap.

Hybrids....So far the Escape has been a very reliable vehicle, however it gets no where near
the fuel economy stated, can't tow shit and in five or six years the battery will need to be replaced($5-6k) that to me does not out weigh the savings in fuel mileage..if any

I've driven Fords all my life, the bigger the better I had a 03 f-250 w/ a 7.3 diesel, best truck I have ever owned, had kids and moved to Montana now I drive a old 4Runner and
it is great, cheap to drive, don't care what happens to it. I am sure I will get ripped for the biodiesel statement...but no one likes to hear the truth

#42 ·
Richard,

I had long lusted for a Ford F-250 diesel club cab with 4 doors and full 8' bed. I needed a new car in 2000 and could afford the truck, and I could afford to put the fuel in it for the annual mileage I drive (~ 15k). But I didn't want more than one vehicle and my conservative nature wouldn't abide the overly ostentatious behavior of driving a gas or diesel guzzler for everyday use and the 7 miles to my office 5 days a week in particular. Even if I could afford it, I can't see sending that much of my paycheck to an oil company every month. I'd rather have a bottle of wine with dinner every night.

I bought a 2000 Subaru Outback. It makes the best of the compromises important to me. It's got enough luxury, comfortable ride, seat heaters, outside mirror defrosters, 6 disc CD player, etc. and economy. I have the 4 cyl. engine and get consistently 26 mpg, a little less in town driving in the winter. I have bike racks on the roof and a hitch to tow my 16' Lund with 50 hp jet drive outboard. I can be found a bit too often in the freeway fast lane going the speed limit or a scoosh more. It has 112k miles, and when it gives up the ghost I'll probably buy another unless I learn of some all-in-one-vehicle that does it better.

Sg

#56 ·
I bought a 2000 Subaru Outback. It makes the best of the compromises important to me. It's got enough luxury, comfortable ride, seat heaters, outside mirror defrosters, 6 disc CD player, etc. and economy. I have the 4 cyl. engine and get consistently 26 mpg, a little less in town driving in the winter. I have bike racks on the roof and a hitch to tow my 16' Lund with 50 hp jet drive outboard. I can be found a bit too often in the freeway fast lane going the speed limit or a scoosh more. It has 112k miles, and when it gives up the ghost I'll probably buy another unless I learn of some all-in-one-vehicle that does it better.
About a year ago I was looking and ended up getting a pretty good deal on a 99 Outback Wagon 4-Cyl. which means I have no car payment, which is nice. Regarding Subaru's, I would concur with just about everything said so far -- mine has 128k miles on it and it's my everyday car as well as my fishing rig. I check my mileage religiously and I get 22 in mixed California (read: leadfoot) driving and up to 30 MPG (consistently 28 MPG) on the highway. With the cartop cargo box on top and the driftboat behind me and my wife and dog in the car, I get about 25 on the highway and 16 around town.

Things I love about my Suby as a fishing rig:
1. Gas mileage is relatively good for what I need to tow.
2. I can fit my 10' pontoon frame in the back without breaking it down.
3. I can fit any single handed rod in the car (slung over my custom bungie-cord rod holder) without breaking it down.
4. I can throw the cargo box on top, put the boat on the hitch and carry 4 people and my dog for a 2-week fishing extravaganza and still have room left over.
5. I can take it *most* places with the full-time 4wd (some gravel bar launches still scare me, but the Suby could probably do it).
6. It has no extra power, so even if I wanted to race someone, it wouldn't let me, therefore saving me a ticket and even more money.
7. It has a couple extra utility hatches in back where I've placed some extra 'bug patches' loaded with flies -- I'm never without the old standbys.
8. It's paid off.
9. I've slept in it overnight and it's a serviceable replacement for a tent, although not as comfortable as a full-sized truck bed would be.
10. It's better in the snow than any vehicle I've ever driven, 4WD or otherwise. I now know why all those ski resort people drive Subaru's.
11. It has AC so when it's 165 degrees in Redding in August I can still feel okay until I get out at the launch, where I promptly swear loudly about the oppressive heat.

#43 ·
My F-150 is no longer my commuting car, the wife drives it to the park and ride to catch the bus, a tank of gas lasts one month. I drive a 2004 Corolla and with 80k on it since new we have yet to get less then 30mpg on a tank of gas. The F-150 will tow a boat fine, and towed our ~5000lb. trailer to Yellowstone and back averaging 10mpg, not the best but what can you do?

#48 ·
I'm surprised no one has taken this route yet.

It gets about 70 miles to the gallon. It's also my daily driver, so there lies the savings. Not just when the sun shines, but every day since I bought it two months ago. It's also going to make a great forest service road runner this fall for getting to the coverts (grouse). I could easily take a rod, vest, etc and hit the river, if I wanted. I only parted with 3400 portraits of George to get on the road. I still use my F-150 to run to the property and have a hitch mounted carrier for the bike, it's light enough that I don't even notice it back there.

Not for everyone, but it works for me.

#49 ·
Roper, great post! I just drove from W-WA to MT in my pathfinder...painful. I did enjoy bombing the FS roads in my pathfinder once I arrived, but I bet your bike would have been much more fun. A pack, pack rod and you are set. I bet if I suggest I get one of those my wife puts and for me in the classifieds...FREE: Husband with yet another toy for his ever growing list of recreational passtimes. All this good advice will be the end of me yet.

#55 ·
I am retiring the 95 Jeep Cherokee and putting our 2004 Honda CR-V into service as my fishing rig. Bought the wife a Honda Fit to replace the CR-V.

I get 25 - 28 MPG on the CR-V. It can pull my pontoon boat trailer as well as my aluminum boat. With the seats down I can fit my Outcast float tube in the back (inflated) with all my gear. And in a pinch I can even sleep in the back. So I guess it passes the test as alround fly fishing vehicle.

Mike

#57 ·
I have 2 VWs, but my wife's is usually the fishing car. 2003 passat wagon with the 1.8T engine. Plenty of pickup, much more interior space than a subaru, and get 32-33 mpg highway. No 4WD, but how often do most of us really need it? I've taken it up plenty of forest service roads without a problem (but then I've also driven my GTI up to the road end on the middle fork of the snoq, so I don't lose much sleep about dirt roads).

#58 ·
I wish I could drive a more fuel efficient vehicle but with would it just isnt fessible. It is hard to carry many tools and material in a car. I find myself only driving 60 on the freeway and never really getting on the gas now. I have managed to increase my mileage from low/mid teens to high teens/almost twenty. It just sucks that this area isnt set up for more friendly public transportation, what option do we have?

#60 ·
BTW...my in town driving is in Portland. I have never ever gotten in the teens in my Outback even carrying several hundred pounds of books in back. I haven't ever even averaged in the low 20's. In traffic I still get 25-26 on the low end. The XT model and 6 cylinders will get 5-7 mpg. less than the standard 4 cylinder though and a roof box will deduct 2-4 mpg.

#61 ·
Well, I love my 2000 Tacoma 4x4, although it doesn't get great mileage since it's a V6. I seem to average about 17 - 18 mpg around town and might get over 20 mpg highway, if I keep my speed down (note - I don't tend to do the later!).

My solution is to make sure to have a job where I can work from home (I'm a developer) or at least drive into the office before or after the peak commuting hours. I'm lucky that in my industry I can expect both options from many of the companies that I want to work for!

I've thought about getting a bike (Roper's type) or buying a second commuter car if I do end up getting a job where I actually have to be in the office everyday. I don't really want the expense of insurance and storing a second car and won't get a bike or at least wouldn't ride it daily without taking a safety class and getting comfortable on it.

I'm not sure that I would consider a hybrid at this point, with the cost of battery replacement so high and the initial cost higher than the same car running on gas. And I don't like the look of some of the better hybrid's out there like the Prius (yes, I'm vane). Plus I don't think the gas mileage on the hybrid's is that good yet, even in traffic. I personally think that a hybrid should be getting in the 40 - 50 mpg range at a minimum and other than the Prius I'm not sure most do. The Escape hybrid's look nice, but think they only get slightly better than the full gas version of the car. :hmmm:

Now a little VW (Passat, GTI) of some kind might be good with desiel being a consideration, but I don't want to trade in my truck to get one at this point.

So at this point, for me, filling up the tank for $60 hurts, but is just the cost of business and fun. I really just wish that they would roll back some of the taxes on gas here locally, since I paid much less out in MT for the past two plus weeks. Most of the time I paid about $4.09, with the lowest price of $4.03 and I saw a few gas stations in ID that were below $4!! $3.97 I believe! :mad:

#62 ·
I'll chime in and say that the Subaru is a very good car. A few years ago I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and a 1995 Saturn. The two vehicles had their obvious purposes commuting over 50 miles a day and towing a 12' aluminum boat. Getting tired of rising gas prices (it had just peaked $2.50 a gallon), two car payments, and two insurance policies; I sold both vehicles and bought a 2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan.

The Subaru is truly the best of both worlds. Since I've had it, it averages 24mpg commuting to Seattle from Everett in stop and go traffic. I also replaced my boat with a 16' Lund that weighs in at right under 1000 lbs. The Sub pulls it great and has crested Stevens Pass going 60mph with the boat in tow.

The only thing I wish I would have done different with that car is buy the wagon. I miss the space but the sedan really isn't that bad. It's been a great car and I would buy another one in a heart beat.

#70 ·
I'll chime in and say that the Subaru is a very good car. A few years ago I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and a 1995 Saturn. The two vehicles had their obvious purposes commuting over 50 miles a day and towing a 12' aluminum boat. Getting tired of rising gas prices (it had just peaked $2.50 a gallon), two car payments, and two insurance policies; I sold both vehicles and bought a 2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan.

The Subaru is truly the best of both worlds. Since I've had it, it averages 24mpg commuting to Seattle from Everett in stop and go traffic. I also replaced my boat with a 16' Lund that weighs in at right under 1000 lbs. The Sub pulls it great and has crested Stevens Pass going 60mph with the boat in tow.

The only thing I wish I would have done different with that car is buy the wagon. I miss the space but the sedan really isn't that bad. It's been a great car and I would buy another one in a heart beat.
Which engine do you have? (2.4, 2.4T, 3.0 V6) Hauling that boat over Stevens at that speed; wind at your back, and foot to the floor, I suspect? That's great!

#64 ·
I have a question for you Subaru owners. How do you like the seats? Are they comfortable? For all I know, Subaru is installing better, more back-friendly seats now. I had heard a lot of other complaints about the seats on older models, so I don't think I was alone in hating those old seats (mine was an '82).

I'll have to go sit in a newer Outback, as well as a Forester. Other than the seats, I loved my old Soob.

#65 ·
The seats are great for me. I've done numerous trips to Ellensburg and Yakima nonstop with no aches or pains. I suppose they're as comfortable as any other car seat these days. Look at full size trucks...Would you rather have a bench seat from 1982 or a nice new bucket seat that you see today? It's just all in the evolution of the car industry.

However, it is much more comfortable getting 4 guys into my Sub than an extended cab pick up.

#71 ·
I've been considering a passat wagon, jetta wagon, volvo wagon and saturn vue, but after considering them all I just stuck with my pathfinder. I have a few friends with subarus too, and think I would consider one of them as well, but I think the other wagons get a bit better gas mileage.

G
#73 ·
http://www.oilshalefacts.org/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1933427/posts

Supply and Demand. At this point in time, Demand is greater than the Supply by 2 Million barrels per day world wide and growing. If there were a solution to the current energy Shortfalls you could be well assured, it would be in the market place. As a friend told me two weeks ago while driving through Highland Park in Dallas Tx. one evening "these ol' boys ( T. Boone
Pickens, Cheney's old neighborhood and Bush's soon to be new one ) were doing obscenely well, before the so called oil crises... Now.. well.. Texas is doing just fine, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.