High gas prices, what is the 'new' best fly fishing/recreating vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Denny, Jul 14, 2008.

1. clarkbre

clarkbre Member

I have the standard 2.5L Boxer engine. Actually there was no wind and it was on cruise control. My boat, trailer, engine and gear weigh 950lbs. I load as much as I can over the axle of the trailer and keep it out of overdrive at all times. It eats gas quite a bit when towing but it still does really well.

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

[​IMG]

55mpg. It was purchased as a toy, but as gas prices have gone up I've been riding it to work more and more.

4. Fast Action Freddie

Fast Action Freddie Having a drink in The Buff

Honda Element and Subaru Outback/Forrester -

I'm looking at a new car, a couple of questions about the above cars:

The Honda Element has a towing rating of 1500 lbs (and supposedly an internal cargo capacity of only650 lbs.) vs. the Outback at 2700 lbs (and RAV 4 at I think 3500) -- what does this tell me? does anyone know why the Element towing/cargo limit is so low? what's the limiting factor?

On the Outback/Forrester - the current listed estimated mpg is 20/26 ... from this post it sounds as if people are actually getting better than the sticker mpg? Or does anyone know if any changes for 08/09 models have reduced mpgs? I know the Forrester is bigger ...

I'm looking to downsize a little (well, really, my 02 Rodeo p.o.s. died a catastrophic death) and I really appreciate this thread. FAF

5. raincityrod

raincityrod Guest

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/index.php

6. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i cant really be the only one here that rides a bicycle??? i thought fly fishers were supposed to be conservationists?

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Have you tried carrying all your gear on a bicycle?? :clown: Actually I'm going for a ride on my mountain bike this morning!

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Dustin,

I mainly ride my bikes recreationally. I tried commuting a few times, but I live too close, ~ 7 miles. I just begin to break a sweat as I arrive at my office, so I normally ride after work about 30 miles. I use my mountain bike for my shuttle vehicle when I float rivers tho.

Sg

9. theworm

theworm Member

Dustin,

Every morning, that it is not raining I pack my shit up and head to the office on my bike. It is only 4 miles away and I don't break a sweat but it loosens my muscles up after they get tight from running. Plus, I don't really want to be all that sweaty before I get to work. Some days, I don't feel like riding to work but I do it anyways. I am guessing I am not really saving that much money but it makes me feel like I am doing my part. I ride a hybrid and it works great for mellow trails and cooks pretty good on streets.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34058

10. FxdGrMind

FxdGrMind New Member

Dustin,
    Lots of cyclists here it appears. You might gather from my handle which i prefer.
    Cheers

11. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Not to knock any ideas, but people really should be thinking past 25-26 mpg. An extra 3-4 mpg is going to help, but only minimally. $5 gas is on the horizon. I'm thinking you need 30+ mpg to be reducing the strain on the wallet.

12. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

KTM 450 EXC

13. redleg

redleg New Member

Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc military model, 60 mpg. strap down my rod and I can put the rest of my gear in one of the metal side panners and if I do get lucky and catch something I line the other panner with a trash bag, throw in some ice and i have a cooler.

14. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

'09 Forester. Very roomy (part of the reason I bought it over the Outback). Never below 20 and a high around 25 so far (still breaking in). One thing on my mind... do I want to leave a nice new shiny high mileage car at a put in, with all the breakin's people have been reporting. Makes me think a second car beater fishmobile (or a Kawa KLR) is still an attractive option regardless of mpg.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

You mean if you get lucky you take out the 12 pack in the cooler side so you can fit in your fish? That is what I thought you meant...built in cooler and all.