HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER Crane-East report with Ira -Troutpocket and a guide for one of the days.

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yes it was Brett but he is not guiding much anymore or not at all. I chatted with him in the spring about booking him while on the water.

sinkline! I try and not stare at boats with girls in bikini's in them for respect! and not looking like a perv - so probably only looked over once and never looked again :p which day are you talking? I was by myself on Sunday, well me and the lab. it was Ira and I on friday and sat. and yes sat. was pretty slow for us!

PM coming about East lake!

2. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

It was Saturday. The day the chop stayed down the majority of the day. Now that I think about it..., when we went past you guys heading up the channel out of the lake we went behind you guys and chatted with you. The typical, "how ya doing, any big ones"?

Right above you guys there up in the "elbow" I had bobber down about every cast the whole time we were up there! My buddy John caught a few there as well. John had the hot rod earlier in the day and I was suck'n hind tit then. His girl friend was just netting for us there, but she flyfishes with us as well. We had an excellent day that Saturday with not less than 40 take-downs as I recall.

Randy

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I thought it might be Brett. He and Royal know Crane about the best of anyone I know.

I designed the logo for their guide biz. Brett still owes me a boat trip to East for the design. One of these days I'll have to cash that one in.

The article I wrote in regards to East includes Royal. He broke a rod during that trip but I didn't mention that in the article... he didn't break it on a fish. That one was the last article I wrote before I retired from the freelance writing biz and switched to the cartoons.

For me, fishing Crane is like steelhead fishing. I've never done very well on the lake but the few fish I've caught have been very large. You really need a boat for Crane and I'm limited to a pontoon boat. For that reason, I prefer East.

Now... from what I've heard lately, Wickiup is the place to go (one lake over from Crane). Another of my fishing buddies who works at Hareline was targeting Wick last year and catching a lot of monster trout. I've never fished the lake! Maybe this year.

You wandering stillwater guys in Washington might consider Wick if you're fishing the Century Drive lakes.

4. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Gene, I didn't know you designed Brett's logo. that's cool! Yes, Brett & Royal know Crane as well as anyone that flyfishes the res. Though, Brett is all about hanging pupa and doesn't venture away from that method much as it's the best way to get clients into fish. I don't think he himself is guiding as much as he use to as he has turned his attention more toward the business end of the shop. I think Royal is a really great guy and outstanding stillwater angler though I don't have much contact with him or Brett.

I fish Wic. quite a bit during the year. Hang'n pupa early, then stripping patterns in the Fall once the big fish start moving up out of the res. toward gravel.

Randy

Here are a few good Browns from the last couple Falls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff Dodd, Irafly and troutpocket like this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You damned bobber guys:p I know the technique works but it simply get bored too easily using the technique. I didn't like bobber fishing when I was a kid, either :D

Guess I'll finally need to belly up to the bar and start using the system more often... but I won't enjoy it. :rolleyes:

6. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Oh my friend Gene, what's not to love about "bobber" fishin'? It's the stillwater flyfisher's version of dry fly fishing! :D Just funnin' ya, I know it's not for everyone. It will grow on ya once ya start puttin' the hammer on lots of fish though! :cool:

Randy

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

What??!!! Ira, did I read you used a dry fly????!!!!!! :D

Irafly likes this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Sinkline you need a bigger net! Nice fish and I just may move to East lake this Oct. but I have to forget about chinook fishing! OHHHH THE IRONY

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Mark, just wanted to say that was pretty nice of you to take Ira out fishing at those places. Great report guys! I'll be back to both places again. I had a great time when I wandered down there, even tho very short time down there.