Hobo spiders and hunting dogs

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mayfly Aviator, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Active Member

Hey all -

My lab West hunts grasshoppers in the off season but most recently got in a tangle with a hobo spider and now has about 5 small (BB) bite marks around his mouth that we noticed this morning. I'm wondering if anyone out there has been through this. We talked to a vet info-line and they said it was not much to worry about and they don't have an "anti-venom" for hobos. I'll keep an eye on it it but would like to hear your experience and/or recommendations.

Thanks,

Sam

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

No experience with spiders, but my late Lab ate her share of Yellowjackets, received many stings to the mouth over the years, and never even swelled-up (never quit chasing them, either). Benadryl will help if the pup experiences swelling. Keep an eye on it & hopefully your partner will be okay.

3. Mayfly Aviator

Oddly enough the vet doesn't believe they are bite marks but instead an allergic reaction to something. We changed his food from Nutro to Iams last month, wondering if that's causing a reaction even though we only noticed the bumps and lethargic behavior yesterday.

4. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Iams is a pretty low quality. If food allergies are suspected, California Natural is a great limited ingredient dog food.

5. Mayfly Aviator

Thanks Kaari. Previously we fed him Nutro Natural Choice but he didn't seem to like it. After we did some research we found that Iams had the similar protein compilations as other brands we were considering (if memory serves they were Science Diet and Pro Plan), but ran about 2/3 the price. He loves the food, his coat looks great, so we thought it was a good match for him. However this situation has us wondering if there's something in there causing the reaction. My wife is taking him to the vet here shortly. He looks like hell today, red droopy and goopy eyes, red bumps around the mouth, and now we even found that there's a rash behind his back paw and a small sore or reaction on his front leg. He's lethargic and just isn't himself (15 month old yellow lab).

It looks like there may be a couple places that sell California Natural in our area that I can check out. Any others suggestions on food, what are you all feeding your dogs?

6. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

I feed Taste of the Wild to my lab and she does well on it. She also has food allergies and has been doing great on this food. There are a number of good foods out there (all spendy from what I can tell) but you get what you pay for. I've heard good stuff about California Natural as well. Hope your lil buddy starts feelin better!

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

When my Lab developed food allergies after recovering from a vile intestinal infection, Nutro Lamb & Rice worked (prior to that, I was cooking her meals . . . boiled chicken, wild rice, and veggies). Now I feed both of my current dogs nothing but Blue Buffalo & they are thriving.

8. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

Have been in the pet food industry for more then 30 yrs now working for a distributor , I would stay away from Iams, it was a great product till P/G took it over. Lots of great pet foods out on the market now, go check out one of the independent dealers and stay away from the large box pet food retail stores.

9. seekm

seekm chris

10. Kaari White

I feed my 9 year old lab Kirkland Brand Chicken and Rice. It's a mid-range food, definitely not the best, but he's doing great on it, it's very reasonably priced and I have no reason to change. My previous lab had all sorts of food allergies and I fed her Innova because it had a limited ingredient list and is very high in protein (I couldn't keep weight on her).

From his symptoms, it sounds like he might be allergic to something in the environment rather than food. Is he on any sort of antihistamine treatment?

11. Mayfly Aviator

Thanks for all the input everyone. My wife took him in to our vet again last Friday and he was diagnosed as having Puppy Pyoderma. The vet prescribed some antibiotics and we actually saw a very sharp decline in his condition. Understanding that it could take a while to kick in we waited through it. Sunday early AM he was having a hard time breathing and one of his eyes was nearly swollen shut. He didn't want to get up but we coaxed him in the car and took him to the local vetrinary hospital receiving another diagnosis - Autoimmune disorder. The vet prescirbed a more mild antibiotic, steroids, and (thank god) pain pills so he could get some rest. He's still pretty sick, postules bleeding, goopy eyes and really lethargic but it looks like things are starting to clear up and he's not in as much pain. He was having a hard time eating regular food so we've been cooking him chicken and rice as well as soft dog food with rice for a couple days. However, now he's constipated...hoping that's just a function of the pills or change in diet. We're missing our energetic pup and fried and hoping this all wraps up soon so we can get back out there with the dummies. Just a dozen days until dove season starts up down here...

12. Brdhunter

Brdhunter New Member

Hope things go well. I always carry some Benadryl, and St. Joseph baby aspirin for the dog, when out hunting and playing. My pup got into a ground hornets nest and her nose and mouth swelled up, I pumped her full of beny she slept for a day and was right back at it.

13. Kaari White

Did they have an idea of which autoimmune disorder he has? I hope he's feeling better!!

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

My my vizsla had allergies switched to Taste of Wild and all allergies cleared up.

15. ribka

ribka Active Member

Hope he gets better.