Hoh River this Weekend...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by deansie, Sep 5, 2013.

1. deansie

deansie Active Member

Camping in Oly NP this weekend with the family @ the Hoh Visitor Center campground, never been out there but from what I've read SRC should be in the river now as well as the chance of some summer steel. Figured I'd bring the 8wt and 5wt for the few hours I'd have open to fish...am I wasting my time? Weather looks good for Sat, light showers today and tomorrow....

2. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

You may want to check with the Park visitors center to see where it's open. The WDFW regs show it being open, but, in the park there is a notice that it's closed for fishing on the South Fork and Upper Hoh.

http://www.nps.gov/olym/upload/2013_2014_Coastal_insert_final_5_28_13_Final.pdf

If closed in the Park, then venture down river a ways. It's a shame, there is some nice water to fish in the park.

Enjoy your trip out there.

3. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

I'd double check the weather reports. A lot of rain and flooding predicted for the next 2 days per my weather alerts.

4. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

My guess with 1-2 inches of rain the Hoh will be out. Try the Sol Duc for Cutties. May be your only option. Good luck and have fun.

Patrick

5. deansie

deansie Active Member

Flood watch for the next ~24hrs according to NOAA...looks like a hiking weekend.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Good call on the hike! You could hike up to the lakes in the Hoh area, Hoh or Elk. It is a rainforest!

7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

bring the gear. worst case it sits in the car. best case the rain doesn't materialize on the west side of the olympics and you have a fishable river. summer rain storms can be crazy on the peninsula. a couple years ago it was pouring rain with lightning and thunder in port angeles and sunny and hot out at neah bay. often times these storms hit inside puget sound far harder than the coast.

8. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

You might want to check the mouth of the sol duc (where it joins with the Bogachiel) for SRC. I knocked them dead there one September morning at first light after heavy rainfall.

9. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Well this explains the rain storm we are supposed to get. Someone had plans to go fish the Hoh.

DKL