Hoh River Wild Steelhead Run Fails Again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Bob, send this to the Commissioners. Not sure it will do any good, but sure can't hurt.

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Take 5 minutes and call and/or email the Wildlife Commission members.

Fish and Wildlife Commission
    Commission Members
    Chair:
    Miranda Wecker, Naselle
    (Western Washington position, Pacific County)
    Occupation: Director of the Marine Program, UW Olympic Natural Resources Center
    Current Term: 07/08/2013 - 12/31/18​
    Vice Chair:
    Bradley Smith, Ph.D., Vice Chair, Bellingham
    (Western Washington position, Whatcom County)
    Occupation: Dean Emeritus, Huxley College of the Environment, Western Washington University
    Current Term: 06/18/2009 - 12/31/2014​
    Commission Members:
    Larry Carpenter, Mount Vernon
    (Western Washington position, Skagit County)
    Term: 01/01/2011 - 12/31/2016
    Jay Holzmiller, Anatone
    (Eastern Washington position, Asotin County)
    Current Term: 06/10/2013 - 12/31/2018
    Jay Kehne, Omak
    (At-Large position, Okanogan County)
    Term: 04/16/2013 - 12/31/2018
    Robert "Bob" Kehoe, Seattle
    (At-Large position, King County)
    Occupation: Executive Director, Purse Seine Vessel Owners' Assoc.
    Term: 07/08/2013 - 12/31/2014
    Conrad Mahnken, Ph.D., Bainbridge Island
    (At-Large position, Kitsap County)
    Current Term: 01/01/2011 - 12/31/2016
    Rolland Schmitten, Lake Wenatchee
    (Eastern Washington position, Chelan County)
    Current Term: 06/18/2009 - 12/31/2014
    Vacant
    (Eastern Washington position)​
    Commission Office Contact:
    Tami Lininger, Commission Executive Assistant
    PHONE: (360) 902-2267
    MAIL*: Fish and Wildlife Commission
    600 Capitol Way North
    Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    E-MAIL Commission@dfw.wa.gov
    FAX (360) 902-2448

*NOTE: all mail for Commission members should be sent to the Commission Office.

FinLuver and Bob Triggs like this.
  3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Thank you Steve Call. I have been in touch with the commissioners since the year 2000. They are well aware of my concerns.

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Hand me one of these, please!

barfbag.jpg

doublespey and Derek Young like this.
  5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Sad news. Not surprised. So long as they continue to have commercial value, they do not stand a chance. 1000 to 1500 fish taken (well at least documented) annually. Let's say for sake of argument the average fish weighs 15lbs, yields 10 lbs of fillet each and fetches $15/lb on the market. A run being destroyed for between $150-225K per year...pretty damn sad.

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

probably because it is still open to wild fish retention... and the drake says it is the best place in the world to catch wild steelhead ;)

Rich Simms and Jonathan Stumpf like this.
  7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

if i recall we had an opportunity to make a portion of the hoh no boats recently... except all of the "advocates" decided their fishing was more important than the fish.

just remember the OP has the best, largest, biggest wild steelhead left on the planet (according to the press and guidewhores) except tons of other river systems in the lower 48.

Rich Simms and Chris Johnson like this.
  8. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Bob, I'm sure you have. So have I. I'm hoping that others will take the time to do so. People underestimate the impact of direct, personal communication with decision makers.

Derek Young and Jason Rolfe like this.
  9. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

I'm wondering if you and I are reading the same article or fishing the same river? Not sure how a sport anglers choice of method has anything to do with how our "co-managers" "manage" harvest. Id prefer to read a thread on this forum regarding wild steelhead and not have to wade through a slough of that kind of garbage. Thanks.

SaltyCutt likes this.
  10. juro

juro New Member

Such a myriad of complex issues at play, but a couple of things come to mind... 1) indiscriminate harvest methods - i.e. gillnets should be outlawed. Weirs which would permit 100% selective harvest for native harvest, and a higher quality product than a strangled rigor mortised fish collected a day later if the seals don't get it. 2) Zero wild harvest by any party until escapement reached.
    The Hoh is no more and certainly no less precious than ANY wild steelhead river anywhere. They are all as individual as the strains that have evolved over eons on their respective ecosystems and because another river thrives it does not mitigate the loss of any one. And if I ever see another 20# wild Hoh steelhead for sale at Pike Place again... :mad:

John Hicks and doublespey like this.
  11. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
    Fishing elsewhere will never be a solution to poor management. Never...

12. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:

Indeed.

13. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Fishing from a boat is a method last I checked. And even with this method and a highly cushioned CNR mortality placed on sporties during the boat parade along with legal wild retention a couple hundred fish MAY die by way of sporties in a season. The tribe fishes when they want and kill what they want and refuses to take any measure of conservation. One look at the spring chinook and it's plain to see. Instead they demand more and more. And when they don't get it... They take it. Over harvest and a dwindling escapement goal will kill the hoh river. Not any sort of boat parade. Sorry boss!

No fishing from boats would be sweet but that's easy for me to say since I would rather swing flies. Angling experience has little to do with protecting the fish when it comes down to it. IMO. I shared your belief until I saw the ugly reality.

Evan Burck and PT like this.
  14. Rich Simms

Rich Simms Active Member

Dick's article has been out for a number of years now and paints the picture. I encourage folks to read it and use the information.

Changes in how we approach our fisheries need to change soon, the sooner we are willing to take proactive measures now, even if it infringes on our various techniques, the better. It was disappointing to not see some of the regulation changes moved forward and wished more folks could of taken on the long view of the situation to support them. A closed river with low returns is not easy to reverse and I am sure the regression models currently being developed for the Hoh as well as other OP streams are mapping the future for this scenario unless we are willing to make some changes as a collective.

At the very minimum what currently needs to be advocated is the concept that the fish allocated to us "50%", if chosen not to directly harvest, should not be viewed as wasted, but viewed as a further allocation to the spawning gravel.

"Why the Hoh?" Well, it still is open, has good habitat, which is also protected and it has wild steelhead. We as anglers are crowded in one area in the Spring, due to closures elsewhere and ubiquitous media and advertisement, if we can't see beyond ourselves it will be gone...

15. NateTreat

NateTreat Banned or Parked

There isn't much else to say that hasn't been said. It comes up every year, and it gets beat to death. All we can do is keep up the pressure on the folks that can do something. It's over fished, there is so much animosity between the tribe and state, there is a lot of money at stake. It's political suicide to take a strong stand. I don't fish it, there are too many people. I'd rather fish on the late run hatchery fish GH systems, and then switch straight to springers.