Hoh

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by theonethatgotaway, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

2. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    Chris...a bit off topic, but one of my favorite rivers in CO is the Yampa right in Steamboat...nothing better than floating it in the spring (before the tubers come out) and running streamers through town. Fun float and fun fishing!

I think it's time for the WDFW to realize that the Olympic Peninsula is being regarding as a "destination" fishery (perhaps via attrition, but that's beside the point) these days and manage it as such. I've never heard people talk about fishing the OP (from all over the US) as much as I have in the past 3 or 4 years. Besides ending wild sport kill, the first step to do this is to ban fishing from a moving watercraft on parts of the Sol Duc and Hoh from the second week of January through the closure in mid to late April (depending on the system). This gives guides the ability to still float fish during the hatchery season and gives wild fish some degree of sanctuary. Many other management agencies have used this regulation effectively on their destination fisheries...but the WDFW has failed to implement such a policy.

I'd like to be wrong, but unless something is done now, we won't be allowed to touch these rivers Jan-May in 5-10 years...but I'm just preaching to the choir now. Stepping off my soapbox...

3. shawn k

shawn k Active Member

dude step away from the crack pipe. It's never going to happen.

4. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm not commenting on whether it will or won't happen...I'm just saying it needs to be done if we're going to keep these rivers fishable 10 years from now. Who would have thought 15 years ago that BC non-residents would be banned from fishing the Skeena system on weekends during steelhead season (and only able to fish 3 days a week on the Copper)? That would have been a pretty bombastic prediction then, but reality now.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

There is a very simple solution, at least in the short term. One that requires the State of Washington to do nothing. One that will help the fish and fit right in line with most people's belief in much of the problem.

Remove yourself from the equation. Let 'em be. That is what most of us want others to do. Go to the meetings. Join a wild fish advocacy organization. Advocate for the fish rather than adding to the pressure on these fish. Fishing for them, knowing it has a negative impact, seems a bit hypocritical.

6. AndreasJ

AndreasJ Member

Are we talking about both fly and gear fishermen? Here in sweden when a place gets a lot of pressure it usually turns into a fly only zone. Over here fly anglers seems to practice more catch and release and "easy fishing" so the pressure goes down. But United States probably have more fly anglers than Sweden has residents so... :)

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    We all have hooks in the water and are pressuring the fish the same way.

8. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    And neither are damaging the population unless they give them the wood shampoo.

Go Sox,
    cds

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

10. attack

attack Active Member

i am glad to see a lot of people seem to be in favor of a ban of fishing from boats. that is the single best thing that could happen to save those rivers. now everyone just needs to get together to make it happen

11. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Now, im not from forks, nor have I spend MUCH time fishing the OP... but I feel like the single best thing that could occur would be more sustainable tribal fisheries. Do I think that will happen, no. And that sucks, but it is what it is.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    It would certainly help escapement... But choosing battles we can win may be a better strategy.

13. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

I hear ya.

14. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

So you guys think it would be more important to ban boat fishing than ban killing wild fish? Really?

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Stopping retention on wild fish is a pretty complex issue. Not nearly as simple as it sounds.